Are these worth it ?

XenosTech

Screenshot_11.jpg

Ignoring the prices are any of these worth buying ? I wanna change the thermal paste on my gpu since I can easily hit 70c while gaming and the fans are around 90% at those temps. I'm open to any recommendations you guys may have also.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Most well known thermal pastes perform well these days.  I use the Arctic Cooling MX-4 and it is fine I guess.  I have it cooling a 6800K with a Noctua NH-U14S and my idle temps are in the low 30s.  I'm sure the included Noctua thermal paste would have been fine but I had some MX-4 already kicking around so I used that instead.

I'm using AS5 and load temps are 60C with room temp being about 26C

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If you have a good cooler like from Cryorig or Noctua, the included paste is good without needing to buy anything special tbh

31 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

If you have a good cooler like from Cryorig or Noctua, the included paste is good without needing to buy anything special tbh

what does that have to do with a gpu ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

20 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

what does that have to do with a gpu ?

If you have a custom rig, you're bound to have a tube of greese laying around that could be used to also cool a gpu, no? 

26 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

If you have a custom rig, you're bound to have a tube of greese laying around that could be used to also cool a gpu, no? 

I have a custom rig and I never got any with it... kinda bad to make assumptions you know

22 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I have a custom rig and I never got any with it... kinda bad to make assumptions you know

On a related note, the stuff Noctua includes with their coolers/what they sale is actually pretty solid. Used it as replacement tim on an older graphics card. Worth a shot if you can find it at a good price. 

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

On a related note, the stuff Noctua includes with their coolers/what they sale is actually pretty solid. Used it as replacement tim on an older graphics card. Worth a shot if you can find it at a good price. 

IT's gonna be pointless buying another cooler :/ I was looking for advise on the ones I can currently buy from one of the local stores here

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

IT's gonna be pointless buying another cooler :/ I was looking for advise on the ones I can currently buy from one of the local stores here

Noctua sells the paste by itself haha, forget what it's called though. Last I checked tim "benches", MX2 and Noctua's own paste are close in performance. Since that is in your screencap, it's what I'd go for. 

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Noctua sells the paste by itself haha, forget what it's called though. Last I checked tim "benches", MX2 and Noctua's own paste are close in performance. Since that is in your screencap, it's what I'd go for. 

I'll have to call around in the morning and see if any stores carry it at a decent price.

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

Almost any TIM will work as long as it's electrically non-conductive.

I can recommend Grizzly Kryonaut and Arctic Silver 5.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 hours ago, PCGeek said:

Most well known thermal pastes perform well these days.  I use the Arctic Cooling MX-4 and it is fine I guess.  I have it cooling a 6800K with a Noctua NH-U14S and my idle temps are in the low 30s.  I'm sure the included Noctua thermal paste would have been fine but I had some MX-4 already kicking around so I used that instead.

@XenosTech

I have the same cooler and paste, but on a 6700k. It does keep temps lower than the provided Noctua paste, but to be honest, I don't think it's really that big of deal. Buy paste if you need some. If you already have some dont buy some, it's probably good enough IMO

Arctic Silver 5 is pretty much the go to paste for liquid cooling. Arctic Cooling MX-4 is the best for air cooling.

If you're buying paste, buy Arctic Cooling MX-4.

http://nerdtechy.com/best-thermal-paste-reviews

thermal-paste-performance.jpg

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

6 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

@XenosTech

I have the same cooler and paste, but on a 6700k. It does keep temps lower than the provided Noctua paste, but to be honest, I don't think it's really that big of deal. Buy paste if you need some. If you already have some dont buy some, it's probably good enough IMO

Arctic Silver 5 is pretty much the go to paste for liquid cooling. Arctic Cooling MX-4 is the best for air cooling.

My personal favorite is IC Diamond because early in the days when it mattered it was my go to thermal compound. These days I generally stick to AC MX-4 since I get good deals on it.

11 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

@XenosTech

My problem with AS5 is that it requires curing and has a tendency to dry out after a couple of years.  Generally it doesn't matter to most if they are upgrading at that interval anyway.  In the early days, another reason I switched from AS5 to IC Diamond because the AS5 was conductive but they did change the formula shortly afterwards.

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Almost any TIM will work as long as it's electrically non-conductive.

I can recommend Grizzly Kryonaut and Arctic Silver 5.

This. The Grizzly products are the new Artic Silver. They're solid. Kryonaut is winning on comparison tests. Hydronaut is only slightly behind and easier to spread. 

Personally, I'm still a fan of the Diamond 24k.

https://www.amazon.com/IC-Diamond-24-Carat-Compound/dp/B0042IBAOG

6 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

@XenosTech

I'll have to see if I can find mx-4 locally if not I'll have to take the mx-2 or one of the other ones listed there

5 hours ago, XenosTech said:

I'll have to see if I can find mx-4 locally if not I'll have to take the mx-2 or one of the other ones listed there

If you buy a Noctua cooler you get a tube of Noctua NT-H1!

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

10 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

If you buy a Noctua cooler you get a tube of Noctua NT-H1!

I'm not gonna buy a new cooler lol my h100i v2 is still new basically

20 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I'm not gonna buy a new cooler lol my h100i v2 is still new basically

Then I would just get a little tube of Arctic cooling mx-4 OR Arctic silver 5. Make sure you have some rubbing alcohol and coffee filters laying around and you're gravy.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Just now, DutchTexan said:

Then I would just get a little tube of Arctic cooling mx-4 OR Arctic silver 5. Make sure you have some rubbing alcohol and coffee filters laying around and you're gravy.

If it's one thing I'm not lacking in my house is alcohol lol but gotta get me some coffee filters though

22 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

If it's one thing I'm not lacking in my house is alcohol lol but gotta get me some coffee filters though

I wouldn't waste a drop of liquor, needs to be rubbing alcohol:p

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

20 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

I wouldn't waste a drop of liquor, needs to be rubbing alcohol:p

Rofl I have both types ;)

3 hours ago, XenosTech said:

You can use paper towels or microfiber cloth.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler