Do you learn to know 144hz?

BiscuitMassacre

Got a 144hz monitor for christmas. It looks smoother, but after doing a "blind test" I couldn't really tell the difference in 60 and 144hz. Do you learn to recognize it or should I just get a refund?

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

2 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

144hz monitor for christmas. It looks smoother, but after doing a "blind test" I couldn't really tell the difference in 60 and 144hz. Do you learn to recognize it or should I just

Make sure you are running at 144hz.

You will get used to 144hz and in a few months 60hz will look choppy AF (in my own experience).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

What kind of "'blind'" test did you perform? That's the real difference between a lower and higher frame rate(with the respective refresh rate associated with it) - how smooth it looks, but also the delay between your action and what is displayed on the screen.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What kind of "'blind'" test did you perform? That's the real difference between a lower and higher frame rate(with the respective refresh rate associated with it) - how smooth it looks, but also the delay between your action and what is displayed on the screen.

I had a friend change the Hz and  i tried to guess. Kind of what Linus did in that old NCIX video.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

28 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

I had a friend change the Hz and  i tried to guess. Kind of what Linus did in that old NCIX video.

Are you sure the game was actually running at a high framerate? 60 FPS on a 144 Hz monitor isn't going to look or feel any better than 60 FPS on a 60 Hz monitor (it may even be worse if Freesync or Gsync aren't involved).

Did you just watch your friend play, or did you play as well? As was said above, it's as much about responsive input as it is visually smooth animation.

9 minutes ago, typographie said:

Are you sure the game was actually running at a high framerate? 60 FPS on a 144 Hz monitor isn't going to look or feel any better than 60 FPS on a 60 Hz monitor (it may even be worse if Freesync or Gsync aren't involved).

Did you just watch your friend play, or did you play as well? As was said above, it's as much about responsive input as it is visually smooth animation.

I played myself. He simply mixed up the framerates without telling me what they were. yes. I am running at over 160FPS. So in theory I will play better even if the smoothness isn't as noticeable?

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

30 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Got a 144hz monitor for christmas. It looks smoother, but after doing a "blind test" I couldn't really tell the difference in 60 and 144hz. Do you learn to recognize it or should I just get a refund?

Just a few notes on "blind tests".

Looking at still images at 1Hz or 1000Hz would look the same. (The problem resides in movement simulation, not still images). 

Movies go from 23.9xx to 60FPS, so no difference there. (You are not going higher than your actual monitor). 

Some browsers support up to 60HZ(EDGE) while Chrome and Firefox up to 120Hz, so animations (Not videos!) should look smoother. (an "intangible" that gets evident once you go back from 144 to 60hz, thb.) 

Games: The real difference is on fast paced games, mostly first person where the FoV can mess your head really quick at low rates. Try to play Mirror's Edge with a narrow FoV or too wide fish eye FoV or a jumpy FPS from 50 to 70FPS and your head will explode soon enough. 

When is a 144hz monitor really worth? When you have the horsepower to draw at least close to 100fps. Even if you jump between 60 and 120FPS, it won't be translated into tearing problems, which is immersion breaking AF. Can you use it in a potato pc? Yes. It won't make much of anything.

Now you are used to 60Hz.

Try to go back from 144Hz to 60Hz again and you'll have the same experience as going from 60 to 30 now that your eyes are used to 60hz.

Of course, games do matter in this regard. Playing Telltale games at 30 is almost OK(ish). While even the most oblivious gamer would refuse to play Titanfall 2/CoD/BF less than 60 once they got to feel the 60FPS experience and their pc can afford 60FPS. (If playing in potato PC, then deal with it, nothing to do about it) 

Input lag and Tearing: This is another intangible. Depends on the gamer. Some games brake awfully if [Monitor Refresh Rate] < [FPS your GPU can render]. causing Tearing. So, many resort to Vsync or frame limiters. The first, links the input response to monitor response being 60FPS at 16Miliseconds, and 144hz at 7ms. Are you fast enough to notice? Maybe not probably... yes. You will. The second, frame limiters, cause may cause tearing depending on the game. 

Lastly: This is a personal experience kind of issue. It's not a superpower nor a mystical energy. Tearing is there in most games with unlocked framerate that exceeds monitor refresh rate. Does it bother you? You tell us that, we can't answer for you. Do you feel the input lag with VSync enabled at 60FPS?, Do you care about this? We don't know. 

Safe bet, keep the 144Hz.

29 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

So in theory I will play better even if the smoothness isn't as noticeable?

I don't think this applies unless the bottleneck you're experiencing relates to the frame rate/refresh rate. I imagine some people may even play worse with a higher frame/refresh rate.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, faziten said:

When is a 144hz monitor really worth? When you have the horsepower to draw at least close to 100fps. Even if you jump between 60 and 120FPS, it won't be translated into tearing problems, which is immersion breaking AF. Can you use it in a potato pc? Yes. It won't make much of anything.

I have to disagree with the last statement. I find that it creates a more enjoyable and smoother experience when using a 144Hz monitor while doing "normal" PC tasks, like moving windows around. 

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I have to disagree with the last statement. I find that it creates a more enjoyable and smoother experience when using a 144Hz monitor while doing "normal" PC tasks, like moving windows around. 

Yeah that is true. I just changed my Refresh rate down to 60 and moved this tab back and forth and my eyes hurt now. I had my friend change. It doesn't matter now. I just contacted NewEgg and they said it was an unrefundable product. I just hope I will get used to it. 

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

@H4X3R

@Godlygamer23

@faziten

Update!

I figured it out. The difference in 144hz and 60hz is night and day. The problem was my game was on Windowed Borderless and for what ever reason it wouldn't go down to 60hz. So all the tests that i did were infact 144hz. Not one was 60hz. The difference is night and day I will never be happy with 60hz again. I can finally be content with my purchase!

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation