Reuse PSU from dead System ?

Effenbach

Hello everyone, im writing here to seek a bit of advice.

The situation is that my cousins pc has been having issues the last couple of months, sudden shutdowns, problems booting etc. . But just recently he could conclude that the pc' seems almost entirely dead, it is a 6 year old Acer predator  computer with a i7 2600. He has upgraded PSU and GPU to a Corsair Cx500  and a MSI GTX 970. As it is now his pc, will not boot, however sometimes he will see the led's on his GPU turning on for a split second when plugging the PSU cord in to the socket. I am therefore gonna help him building a new pc, where we are gonna use his current GPU, however i am not sure whether it would be a good idea to reuse the power supply?.

What are peoples thoughts on this? I myself would never dare reusing a PSU from a systems who just recently died and also have had wierd shutdowns and booting issues, but maybe i am over cautious?. I would like to do the paper clip test on the PSU, however my cousin lives quite far away and probably wont be able to do it on his own.

Thanks in advance

Is the PSU itself dead? Use a PSU self-tester (I'm fairly certain the CX500 comes with one) and see if it works. It could be the dead component for all you know.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||