as far as painting a case goes...

Watashi

What method and materials do you guys suggest when it comes to custom painting a case?

What kind of case and design did you have in mind? Are you just asking for general advice?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

What method and materials do you guys suggest when it comes to custom painting a case?

Use plastidip paint as it can pill off if you ever need to take it off in the future. And it stays on pretty good. Has a nice matte finish to it.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

8 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

I have a general guide here that goes over the basics for painting, but as for custom painting if you want to do the entire case in another color including the interior it would be best to tear down the entire case into separate parts for spray painting to ensure it gets a nice even coat.

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

I have a general guide here that goes over the basics for painting, but as for custom painting if you want to do the entire case in another color including the interior it would be best to tear down the entire case into separate parts for spray painting to ensure it gets a nice even coat.

So if I were to want to paint a piece, I can use either spray paint or plasti-dip right?

3 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

So if I were to want to paint a piece, I can use either spray paint or plasti-dip right?

Plastidip is best especially if you ever want to paint it a different color. You can peel it off and paint a different color of plastidip.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

5 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

Correct just note that plasti-dip is a rubber based coating so it lacks the abrasion and wear resistance that spray paint. Also it requires a much thicker coat with plasti-dip to get full coverage so that is something to take into consideration. 

Whatever you do, just prep where appropriate and take your time. 

Too many people rush into it and ruin their case with something like this:

gold+chalkboard+041913+e.jpg

3 hours ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

Whatever you do, just prep where appropriate and take your time. 

Too many people rush into it and ruin their case with something like this:

gold+chalkboard+041913+e.jpg

been there done that! as this pic /\/\ shows why, id recommend only using fan spray cans for large areas to help avoid the unevenness of the paint you can see on that panel