To upgrade or not from z77 - z170

loony979

Ok this is what i have :

i5 3570k

Asus P8Z77- LK

16gb 1600mhz corsair ram.

Right so if i get this Z170 MB and the i7 6700K also 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 @ 3000MHz 

How much of a noticeable difference will i see. Also i think the i5 3570k is starting to not handle

new type of games i throw at it.

Oh side question with win 10, it's activated tho will it be deactivated with the new stuff i put in ?

this is a question that has got me god smacked since it binds with youre gear. My srs thought on that is

if it's already activated it should stay ? .

Anyway is it worth $883 oh that's Aus Dollar.

Thanks in advance ,you guys always do the best and im very appreciative about it.

Any questions let me know.

p8z77-v-lk_large.jpg

15424.jpg

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

Can't you wait for Kaby Lake and/or Zen? If it can get you by for now, won't it last you a couple more months?

Unless you really need cpu performance for something, you won't get a whole lot from going from ivy bridge i5 to an i7. Your cpu already has pretty decent performance.

Considering if you sell your parts and buy skywell, you'll spend tripple the cost on that. 
+ you need to buy new ram which is an additional $100ish.

I don't think it's worth it unless you know for a fact you need more CPU performance (for professional use, video editing etc)

R ok so my Planet Coaster game maxes my CPU @4.8ghz.

Firefox uses 30% by it's self. And i feel like treating my self to a NON super upgrade.

older games run fine newer tittles play crap. Tho still playable.

Ok so, even with thee extra :

4 threads on the cpu

an extra 1400 mhz on the ram

it's DDR4

Higher Chip Set .

All that means squat ? does it. it's gotta be better like cmon guys.

Remember i said now NON super upgrade .

b4 i had this i had :

q9450

4gb ram

LGA 775.

Ok let me as you this if i can notice an upgrade from 2xgtx 660's to 1 gtx 970 .For me

it felt like double. But this is just me.

P.S. im not by any chance having a go, kinda sounds like it tho im not. Thanks again. :)

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

22 minutes ago, loony979 said:

R ok so my Planet Coaster game maxes my CPU @4.8ghz.

Firefox uses 30% by it's self. And i feel like treating my self to a NON super upgrade.

older games run fine newer tittles play crap. Tho still playable.

Ok so, even with thee extra :

4 threads on the cpu

an extra 1400 mhz on the ram

it's DDR4

Higher Chip Set .

All that means squat ? does it. it's gotta be better like cmon guys.

Remember i said now NON super upgrade .

b4 i had this i had :

q9450

4gb ram

LGA 775.

Ok let me as you this if i can notice an upgrade from 2xgtx 660's to 1 gtx 970 .For me

it felt like double. But this is just me.

P.S. im not by any chance having a go, kinda sounds like it tho im not. Thanks again. :)

You are looking at 10%-15% raw performance improvement in applications that use four cores or less.  If more than four cores can be used by the application, you can expect a huge boost from the hyper-threading on the i7, maybe up to 60%-70% better.

There are architectural improvements as well, but applications must be able to utilize them. 

Upgrading the GPU is not the same as the CPU, at least for gaming.

Is that 3570K delidded?  ...or are you still running the stock TIM?

Ok some progress thank you. Delidded >? stock tim ? please tell me is that taking the lid of it then placing own thermal paste (if so ill never do this) tho bios hacking a GPU yes. xD

. Ok now i under stand what you all are saying . So ok then how about i go x99 with a i7 6800K 6 core 12 threads so x99 system not z170.

20 minutes ago, loony979 said:

Ok some progress thank you. Delidded >? stock tim ? please tell me is that taking the lid of it then placing own thermal paste (if so ill never do this) tho bios hacking a GPU yes. xD

. Ok now i under stand what you all are saying . So ok then how about i go x99 with a i7 6800K 6 core 12 threads so x99 system not z170.

AMD is near release of their new CPU line, Ryzen.  You should wait to see what it can do first.

21 minutes ago, loony979 said:

Delidding improves temps by removing the black adhesive around the die decreasing the gap underneath the ihs. The TIM would need to be replaced but it isn't what makes the improvement in temps. That being said, I don't see much benefit in doing so if you're already comfortably at 4.8ghz.

Any game that's not extremely light should push your cpu to the max frequency it's set to. It's not a sign that your cpu is weak. Firefox using 30% cpu is perfectly fine if it isn't taking from the performance from other things. 

What titles play like crap? What kind of performance are you seeing?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Mainly planet coaster gta v the stuttering or screen tear . Overall im thinking of a x99 system now .

6 cores 12 threads . sounds good to me then later on a 1070. in planet coaster i pull up a menu, say paths menu do my thing with it then frames rates drop very low. im not sure ay (i know gpu) im thinking the caps on my MB could be coming to an end .Who knows the MB is over 5yrs old now with the PC turned on 24/7 only gets turned of when im cleaning it. That's a long duration. It's held up remarkably well.

I only game on 1080p 60hz .So im thinking that things should be running a lot better then what they should be . Surely that now im gonna go with a x99 system things should improve. and thus the fact ill be streaming soon with OBS. With lots of things with in the scenes as well. that by it self takes up 20-30% cpu .

Hope this helps an again thank you.

PCPartPicker part list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/qKqRnn
Price breakdown by merchant: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/qKqRnn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($445.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme6+ ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($199.00 @ Umart) 
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($139.00 @ Umart) 
Total: $783.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-27 22:35 AEDT+1100

I'd chose this set of parts anyday. 

Or this if you want a board with an IR PWM.

PCPartPicker part list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sJwgZ8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sJwgZ8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($445.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($299.00 @ Scorptec) 
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($139.00 @ Umart) 
Total: $883.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-27 22:39 AEDT+1100

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case