Fake reservoir for aesthetics?

Hello!

So I'm going to build a PC soon, and I've already got all the parts.

I started looking at water cooling vids because they look cool, but I definitely don't need it. Then I got this idea: What if I got one of those clear tubes, the size of a reservoir, and then I fill it with water and food coloring. Then I use some of those little 90 degree corner metal corner pieces that they used in custom loops, and glued those to the caps and screwed them on to the case

Here's a poorly drawn image of what I mean:

EDIT: Any suggestions on the material I should use for the "reservoir" 

S340_Images_06.png

Edited by QuantumBit
Forgot to add something

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Don't see why it should not work.

It can add some bling to certain builds, but I would use filtrated water and dyes meant for water cooling, just to make it seem more like it belongs. Plus it eliminates any growth.

Also, adding a small weak pump, so it flows inside the tube, might make it look better.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

If you feel like wasting money. Go for it. Could look quite good. Id also add an led of some sort too.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Don't see why it should not work.

Sorry I forgot to mention this: Any recommendation on the material I should use for the "reservoir"? I would get a real one but they're like $40-60 dollars, and I'm better of getting a hue+ with that money.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

4 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

It can add some bling to certain builds, but I would use filtrated water and dyes meant for water cooling, just to make it seem more like it belongs. Plus it eliminates any growth.

Also, adding a small weak pump, so it flows inside the tube, might make it look better.

How hard would this be to install? Also any recommended cheap ones?

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

my suggestion is sea monkeys

This looks really cool and gross at the same time...

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

I'm a bit baffled by the purpose of this. It reminds me of those people who put 'M' badges on their entry level BMWs, forgetting they only have a single exhaust. It does look a bit silly and they aren't fooling anyone. You won't have a rad, and you'll have no tubes coming out of the res and obviously nothing that it is actually cooling! It will look somewhat absurd to anyone but a complete computer newb who knows nothing. Not to mention you're introducing a big tube of conductive liquid inside your PC via methods that have none of the traditional safety standards that proper watercooling incorporates... i.e o-rings, non-conductive coolant, correct fittings attached properly, and overall a closed system that is fully sealed and protected. You are of course free to do as you please, there's just a lot of red flags here.

The moment you start approaching this properly though, with a pump etc. and spending money on it, then it begs the question why not just do it PROPERLY lol! At least a CPU only loop, that would actually serve a function then. ;)

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

9 hours ago, atomicus said:

I'm a bit baffled by the purpose of this. It reminds me of those people who put 'M' badges on their entry level BMWs, forgetting they only have a single exhaust. It does look a bit silly and they aren't fooling anyone. You won't have a rad, and you'll have no tubes coming out of the res and obviously nothing that it is actually cooling! It will look somewhat absurd to anyone but a complete computer newb who knows nothing. Not to mention you're introducing a big tube of conductive liquid inside your PC via methods that have none of the traditional safety standards that proper watercooling incorporates... i.e o-rings, non-conductive coolant, correct fittings attached properly, and overall a closed system that is fully sealed and protected. You are of course free to do as you please, there's just a lot of red flags here.

The moment you start approaching this properly though, with a pump etc. and spending money on it, then it begs the question why not just do it PROPERLY lol! At least a CPU only loop, that would actually serve a function then. ;)

Good point, but what do you mean about the conductive stuff and o-rings etc?

Also no one I know is a techie, so there is a extremely slim chance that someone will comment on how that isn't a real loop.

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

18 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Good point, but what do you mean about the conductive stuff and o-rings etc?

Also no one I know is a techie, so there is a extremely slim chance that someone will comment on how that isn't a real loop.

Well you obviously know zero about watercooling if you're asking what non-conductive coolant and o-rings are lol! Essentially they stop your system getting fried. So you will have none of this protection. But hey, your PC, your money!

Well you'll only fool clueless people, but if you're fine with that go nuts! As I say, it's your PC, do whatever the hell you want to it, don't let me stop you. You're on the wrong website though... you should probably check out crazystupidideas.com or iwannnafrymypc.net

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

4 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Well you obviously know zero about watercooling if you're asking what non-conductive coolant and o-rings are lol! Essentially they stop your system getting fried. So you will have none of this protection. But hey, your PC, your money!

Well you'll only fool clueless people, but if you're fine with that go nuts! As I say, it's your PC, do whatever the hell you want to it, don't let me stop you. You're on the wrong website though... you should probably check out crazystupidideas.com or iwannnafrymypc.net

Couldn't I use distilled water?

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

1 minute ago, QuantumBit said:

Couldn't I use distilled water?

You could, but I still think it's a daft idea. Why don't you just watercool your CPU properly? It can be done fairly cheaply, and you will actually gain something from the whole venture.

3 minutes ago, atomicus said:

You could, but I still think it's a daft idea. Why don't you just watercool your CPU properly? It can be done fairly cheaply, and you will actually gain something from the whole venture.

Because this is my first build and I'm using a 6500, I don't need to waste another 150 dollars for water cooling. I just assumed that if I could get a cheap tube and just use water and food coloring I could get something that looked cool for like a seventh of the price.

Edited by QuantumBit

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

2 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Because this is my first build and I'm using a 6500, I don't need to waste another 150 dollars for water cooling. I just assumed that if I could get a cheap tube and just use water and food coloring I could get something that looked cool for like a seventh of the price.

I do see your intention, but it's going to look naff. Ironically you would really need experience with watercooling to actually pull this off. Trying to pretend with no idea just isn't going to work. Feel free to try and prove me wrong, but I just don't see this working out at all.

Besides, you're totally missing the point of watercooling from the aesthetic point of view. It's absolutely NOT just about some coloured liquid in a tube... it's the whole thing, the tubing runs, the fittings, the blocks, the rads, the fans, overall colour scheme... and how it all comes together cohesively, plus lighting and how that accentuates certain aspects of the build. You don't seem to get that.

If you want your system to look great on a budget, focus on cable management, custom cable extensions perhaps, and lighting. You'll be surprised how much difference this makes if you have the right case to show it off.

1 hour ago, atomicus said:

Besides, you're totally missing the point of watercooling from the aesthetic point of view. It's absolutely NOT just about some coloured liquid in a tube... it's the whole thing, the tubing runs, the fittings, the blocks, the rads, the fans, overall colour scheme... and how it all comes together cohesively, plus lighting and how that accentuates certain aspects of the build. You don't seem to get that.

If you want your system to look great on a budget, focus on cable management, custom cable extensions perhaps, and lighting. You'll be surprised how much difference this makes if you have the right case to show it off.

Good idea, guess I'll invest in things like cable sleeves and lighting etc instead of that water cooling thing.

Thanks!

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Ugh.  No. if money is of any concern then don't waste a dime. 

This thread made me think of these:

7417_mgp_caliper_cover_gmc_terrain.jpg

43 minutes ago, Dark said:

Ugh.  No. if money is of any concern then don't waste a dime. 

This thread made me think of these:

7417_mgp_caliper_cover_gmc_terrain.jpg

Jesus. Don't even get me started on that crap. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I'd have to agree with @atomicus here.  I mean, if you wanted to buy just a res and some fittings/tubing, I guess it'd be cheap enough.  But please, at least use actual watercooling parts and not repurposed things that will be more hazardous than anything else.

I've actually thought about just running Mayhem's aurora through a res while I have another entire loop for the PC but it seems dishonest (not that I have anything to prove) and a waste of parts/money.

Spoiler

I wish @Benji_w was here to see me beat that dead horse some more

edit: what I originally meant to write, is there are some really fantastic aircooled builds out there.  Attention to detail and dedication to a sweet end result WILL get you what you want in a build if you are patient enough. (I never have been but I will someday!)

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

14 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Reveal hidden contents

I wish @Benji_w was here to see me beat that dead horse some more

edit: what I originally meant to write, is there are some really fantastic aircooled builds out there.  Attention to detail and dedication to a sweet end result WILL get you what you want in a build if you are patient enough. (I never have been but I will someday!)

Yeah that's very true. WC'ing understandably hogs the limelight because of the 'wow' factor, but it baffles me sometimes when I see people wanting to watercool on a micro budget purely for the aesthetics. Does not compute! You can achieve some stunning results on air, and with the money saved you can really go to town on the case, cables, lighting and other elements which with patience and planning can truly result in something quite stunning.

Just now, atomicus said:

Yeah that's very true. WC'ing understandably hogs the limelight because of the 'wow' factor, but it baffles me sometimes when I see people wanting to watercool as cheaply as possible purely for the aesthetics. Does not compute! You can achieve some stunning results on air, and with the money saved you can really go to town on the case, cables, lighting and other elements which with patience and planning can truly result in something quite stunning.

Indeed!  I've been searching for some since posting here.  I can't find any that I had bookmarked (SOMEONE forgot to back them up before doing a clean install :$) but some really took my breath away.  Almost makes me want to sell my entire PC/loop just to see what I can do with the basics.  I kinda rushed through that stage myself

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q