What is Microsofts USB OS Installer called?

★ Coups ★

Trying to help install windows 7 for a friend, He needs Windows 7 Installer thing on a USB so he can boot from it, and install. 

Where do I find this tool? 

Thanks! 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

5 hours ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Trying to help install windows 7 for a friend, He needs Windows 7 Installer thing on a USB so he can boot from it, and install. 

Thanks! 

Rufus :D

3 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Rufus :D

Incorrect. 

3 hours ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Thanks! 

As @obi-fade-kenobi posted, that is correct tool. However, that being said, the official tool from Microsoft does not support UEFI booting for Windows 7 while Rufus does. I personally would recommend using Rufus over the Microsoft official tool. 

2 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

As @obi-fade-kenobi posted, that is correct tool. However, that being said, the official tool from Microsoft does not support UEFI booting for Windows 7 while Rufus does. I personally would recommend using Rufus over the Microsoft official tool. 

I see. 

So this does the same thing as the official Microsoft one? 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

media creation tool 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 hours ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

I see. 

So this does the same thing as the official Microsoft one? 

Unfortunately, no. It does what the official tool should do. 

For Windows 7 and Vista, the official tool does not create a UEFI capable USB installer. On the other hand, the Rufus tool does. The operating systems, both Windows Vista, and 7, both support UEFI, however, due to the way the official tool is made, the official tool does not support installing it.

Microsoft has only done version of the tool with no updates unfortunately and it excludes the ability to UEFI install with Vista and 7. My thought is that maybe if they were to update the tool, that would allow UEFI installing for Vista and 7. 

So in order to UEFI boot Windows 7, you'll want to use the Rufus tool instead of the official one from Microsoft.