should i foam mod my HD558s?

Bananasplit_00

i got a pair of Senhiser HD558s for christmas and iv heard a lot about the foam mod and that its basically just making HD598s out of them, so should i do it? what will change in the sound signature? they are pretty bass heavy right now but still clear and im pretty happy with them but im not against upgrading my sound and removing some of the bass from them so idk. thanks for any replies and any help :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i had my hd 558 for half a year, and did the foam mod after a month owning it. i never owned the 598 so i cannot compare, but the soundstage did improve somewhat after doing the mod. bass didn't really change. the 558 isn't really bass-heavy, very neutral sound 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

i had my hd 558 for half a year, and did the foam mod after a month owning it. i never owned the 598 so i cannot compare, but the soundstage did improve somewhat after doing the mod. bass didn't really change. the 558 isn't really bass-heavy, very neutral sound 

might be my Sound Blaster card doing the bass tbh but would you say it was worth the effort?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

the foam mod is pretty easy. but i would give some listening time without the foam mod, then try the mod after. 

The foam mod reduces the upper midrange by a few dB. Nothing radical. The previously suggested course of action is best.

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

The foam mod reduces the upper midrange by a few dB. Nothing radical. The previously suggested course of action is best.

38 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

the foam mod is pretty easy. but i would give some listening time without the foam mod, then try the mod after. 

so i get more high end from removing it basically? well il wait untill like my birthday or something because i like how they sound now, its nice, thanks for the help

Builds:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

so i get more high end from removing it basically? well il wait untill like my birthday or something because i like how they sound now, its nice, thanks for the help

Removing the foam reduces the response over a specific range of frequencies.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Removing the foam reduces the response over a specific range of frequencies.

oh well i might do it, might not im happy with what i have now, thanks for the info :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

some of the midrange did recess slightly after removing the foam. but i had them removed far longer than when i had the foam