ok, did i killed me cpu completely? or can it come back to life somehow?

Go to solution Solved by stuck stock heatsink,

okay okay. i was so tired and havent slept... made the stupidest mistake.

my mobo msi 970gaming has lock on 1 side only so i pushed one side and when i heard click i thought its ok... didnt pushed the other side. my rams werent installed properly. cpu seems fine. everything works fine now. thank you all guys ^^

here's what happened

i didnt soaked it in ethanol. after heating it a little bit more finally i did remove it from the heatsink.

fixed all the bent pins and it did slide in to its socket without any problem. no visual damage, didnt spilled any water while heating etc.

i was hopeful and after installing my cpu cooler i tried to start my system... i did see motherboard logo and the windows loading screen... before the login screen it shut itself down. i did wait like 30 minutes. tried once more and thats the result

at the end i didnt pryed it too hard, lid is not dented or something...

no broken pins, all bent ones are fixed and in its socked...

didnt overheat too much. i put it in hot water with heatsink but cpu did not get wet

i did clean it and applied new thermal paste, put 212x on top of it so its cool enough.

whats wrong? what did go wrong? why isnt it working? :/ the worst part is i have to pay for an amd again. i hate that brand now(probably either weak socket lock or low quality thermal paste, also pins on cpu? great idea yeah..) but i cant afford for my i7 and new mobo yet.

The CPU is fine, else you wouldn't have gotten have gotten the PC to boot at all.

Double check everything else, connectors, CPU fan, etc.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Do clear the CMOS.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

1 minute ago, Litargirio said:

The CPU is fine, else you wouldn't have gotten have gotten the PC to boot at all.

Double check everything else, connectors, CPU fan, etc.

maybe it died at boot? is that possible? i only connected my power and monitor cords. cpu fan is working as you can see in the video. and i didnt touch to my 980 ti at all. and i got my screen at first try

First, I hope it was isopropyl alcohol and NOT Ethanol

The good news is it's working, if only temporarily. If it's not a heat issue, my best guess is it's still wet. Yes, even 91% can cause problems in the socket. Take it back out (lets the picns and socket breather) and let it air dry for a while

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

to be clear- does it consistently shut off after a time or did it only boot once? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

First, I hope it was isopropyl alcohol and NOT Ethanol

The good new is it's working, if only temporarily. If it's not a heat issue, my best guess is it's still wet. Yes, even 91% can cause problems in the socket. Take it back out (lets the picns and socket breather) and let it air dry for a while

as i said. i "was going to" soak it but i didnt. it came of with a heat method. never got wet

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

to be clear- does it consistently shut off after a time or did it only boot once? 

only boot once

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

First, I hope it was isopropyl alcohol and NOT Ethanoll

What's wrong with ethyl alcohol?

2 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

it's typically not as pure and leaves residue behind. Also doesn't evaporate as fast, and can have additives. Not always terrible to use or anything, but if he had soaked it, that's pushing it even for iso. 

OP if it only booted once, I'm worried. All I can offer- Take it apart, inspect pins and socket (make sure it's clean), remove the cmos battery AND the 24 pin (residual power in psu can prevent from resetting) for a minute before trying again.

muh specs 

All parts black

it did boot after cmos clear but right now it only detects one of my ram sticks. running 4 gb one channel instead of dual channel 8

4 hours ago, Litargirio said:

Ethanol would probably have to be regulated as a liquor in most places, so any you're likely to purchase legally would be of a poor concentration and/or have a lot of extra additives to discourage consumption.. not to mention unnecessarily expensive. I imagine concentrated ethanol with no additives would work fine on electronics, but you just aren't likely to find it like that.

4 hours ago, typographie said:

Ethanol would probably have to be regulated as a liquor in most places, so any you're likely to purchase legally would be of a poor concentration and/or have a lot of extra additives to discourage consumption.. not to mention unnecessarily expensive. I imagine concentrated ethanol with no additives would work fine on electronics, but you just aren't likely to find it like that.

it was 90% ethanol

BTW my pc did boot like 10 times last night with only showning 1stick of ram but now its not working again

no signal detected by the monitor

4 hours ago, typographie said:

Huh? I can buy 96% ethyl alcohol in most pharmacies.

24 minutes ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

BTW my pc did boot like 10 times last night with only showning 1stick of ram but now its not working again

no signal detected by the monitor

I'm thinking that you may have caused the CPU's heat spreader to bulge out when you were prying it off, so it doesn't make contact with the dye. Would you care to remove the heatsync and see if the surface is completely flat?

okay okay. i was so tired and havent slept... made the stupidest mistake.

my mobo msi 970gaming has lock on 1 side only so i pushed one side and when i heard click i thought its ok... didnt pushed the other side. my rams werent installed properly. cpu seems fine. everything works fine now. thank you all guys ^^

10 hours ago, Litargirio said:

Huh? I can buy 96% ethyl alcohol in most pharmacies.

If it's 96% ethanol, what's the 4%? Maybe it's not just water.

I have no idea what the laws are like about this in Austria, but I don't think it can be sold like that here. That's basically pure grain alcohol, and I think you'd need to be a bar and have a liquor license to sell that here. In some states it might be completely illegal regardless, since it's basically identical to Everclear.

1 minute ago, typographie said:

If it's 96% ethanol, what's the 4%? Maybe it's not just water.

I have no idea what the laws are like about this in Austria, but I don't think it can be sold like that here. I think that even very high % liquor, such as Everclear, is illegal in many U.S. states. 96% ethyl alcohol is functionally identical to that, unless they add things to make it toxic to drink.

It ain't toxic.

It's Spain where I'm at right now, and some people here buy alcohol at the farmacy or drugstore (you can get it for less than 5 bucks a liter), and mix it with stuff to make alcoholic beverages.

I guess Europe isn't as crazy about controlling alcohol as the US. Austria even allows 16 y/os to buy beer. He.