how much storage

Depends on whether you intend to keep everything you make or delete the files when the final product is uploaded or made. Also depends on the length of the video's, but I'd say around 1-2tb of HHD would be decent, and then it will be enough for all your other general needs. Western Digital Blue or Black (I recommend Black for performance, but they are a little more expensive) are really good HDD's.

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

1 minute ago, MValuableP said:

Depends on whether you intend to keep everything you make or delete the files when the final product is uploaded or made. Also depends on the length of the video's, but I'd say around 1-2tb of HHD would be decent, and then it will be enough for all your other general needs. Western Digital Blue or Black (I recommend Black for performance, but they are a little more expensive) are really good HDD's.

oh i meant for micro sd cards and i plan on deleting the footage after im done and probably 30 min recordings

1 minute ago, fiberzs is dad said:

oh i meant for micro sd cards and i plan on deleting the footage after im done and probably 30 min recordings

So camera footage? And how long are your recordings?

Sorry btw, I thought you meant video of your computer or console :D

The dream:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

6 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

So camera footage? And how long are your recordings?

Sorry btw, I thought you meant video of your computer or console :D

its fine yes camera footage and probably 30 min long recordings

12 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

2 minutes ago, fiberzs is dad said:

its fine yes camera footage and probably 30 min long recordings

SD cards from Sandisk are the way to go. Probably a 120 GB or 256 or something like that. If you delete the footage anyway it wont really matter as you'll only have 1 hour worst case scenario anyway.

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

SD cards from Sandisk are the way to go. Probably a 120 GB or 256 or something like that. If you delete the footage anyway it wont really matter as you'll only have 1 hour worst case scenario anyway.

ok thanks

27 minutes ago, fiberzs is dad said:

ho much storage is good for recording 1080p video?

Which camera?  What's the bit rate and frame rate?

10 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

On a 128GB memory card, 1080p24 50Mb/s you can record around 4-5 hours worth of video.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

7 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Which camera?  What's the bit rate and frame rate?

On a 128GB memory card, 1080p24 50Mb/s you can record around 4-5 hours worth of video.

Yeah then he can get lazy and leave some on there. I'm not too much into cameras

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, MValuableP said:

Yeah then he can get lazy and leave some on there. I'm not too much into cameras

Its both expensive to use a high capacity card like that and if it fails you will loose a lot more data. I wouldn't get a card that can hold too mamy hours because then he will get lazy and have a higher risk of loosing a lot more footage. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

3 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Its both expensive to use a high capacity card like that and if it fails you will loose a lot more data. I wouldn't get a card that can hold too mamy hours because then he will get lazy and have a higher risk of loosing a lot more footage. 

@OP,

Get 64GB cards if you're going to film 1080p.  128GB cards can hold more hours of footage, but if any of them fail you lose more data than with lower capacity cards.  However Sandisk, Lexar and Sony cards are generally more reliable than other brands and use the card readers from those brands.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

4 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

On the other hand the risk that one card fails doubles. 

Also high capacity cards (128GB) are not expensive

128GB $49.94

64GB $24.99

18 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Also high capacity cards (128GB) are not expensive

128GB $49.94

64GB $24.99

I would argue that $50 for a SD card is quite expensive considering how easy it is to loose one. A 64GB makes more sense as you can get two of those for the same price of a 128GB. Its better to be a bit more safe and have your footage spread out instead of all on one single source that might fail. If you loose one 64, you will have at least half left. Loose the 128 and you have nothing left.

Also where does the "the risk that one card fails doubles" come from? Got any reliable source this time or is it just more bs without any solid background? 

16 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Also where does the "the risk that one card fails doubles" come from? Got any reliable source this time or is it just more bs without any solid background? 

I don't have any words for this... 

Did you ever visit school?  

14 minutes ago, .spider. said:

I don't have any words for this... 

Did you ever visit school?  

Yea I'm quite certain I did, did you? And how is that related? I spent some time searching for anything to backup that argument but couldn't find anything, hence why I ask. 

3 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Yea I'm quite certain I did, did you? 

Than draw a decision tree and calculate the probability that one of two cards fails.

3 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Than draw a decision tree and calculate the probability that one of two cards fails.

The risk that a card fails is the same of all three. However you run a higher chance of having a card fail if you have several cards yes. Thats no news. 

However "the risk that one card fails dubbles" is at least in my mind a pretty missleading way of telling that as the chance of a single card fail doesn't dubble but the chance to have a single of all your cards fail. 

The information in your posts are most of the time so diffuse that they barley contribute to anything useful at all.

15 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

However you run a higher chance of having a card fail if you have several cards yes.

Not really, because the risk of a memory card failing is independent of the number of cards you own.  The probability of a memory card failing lies only with that card.  What does increase is the probability of owning a card that may fail, but still that probability will be very low.

(Sandisk, Lexar, Sony makes very reliable memory cards.  The probability of failure is very low.)

However, the risk of data being corrupted and losing everything stored on memory card(s) decreases with the number of cards.  Save all data on a single card, if that single card fails you lose all data.  Save data across 2 cards, if one card fails you still retain 50% of the data.  Save it on 4 cards, one card fails you still have 75% of the data left.

So which risk is better to take chances with?

And any one who works with or uses media storage systems knows to create redundant backups.  Or they should.  If they don't, I'm not going to feel sorry for them.

17 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

However "the risk that one card fails dubbles" is at least in my mind a pretty missleading way of telling that as the chance of a single card fail doesn't dubble but the chance to have a single of all your cards fail. 

I have to say no because the context is really clear because of the quote. 

11 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Depends and not easy to answer. 

1 hour ago, .spider. said:

This is absolute bullshit.

@xQubeZx, we both know this.

2 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Depends and not easy to answer. 

It's an easy answer.  The answer is to use multiple cards so that all the recordings done for a project (either daily or weekly or however the schedule is set) is spread across multiple cards so that if any card fails or gets lost, the rest still remains.  This is a better risk to take then having all the recordings on a single card which can either fail or get lost... and then chances are nothing is recoverable.

13 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Not really, because the risk of a memory card failing is independent of the number of cards you own.  The probability of a memory card failing lies only with that card.  What does increase is the probability of owning a card that may fail, but still that probability will be very low.

(Sandisk, Lexar, Sony makes very reliable memory cards.  The probability of failure is very low.)

However, the risk of data being corrupted and losing everything stored on memory card(s) decreases with the number of cards.  Save all data on a single card, if that single card fails you lose all data.  Save data across 2 cards, if one card fails you still retain 50% of the data.  Save it on 4 cards, one card fails you still have 75% of the data left.

And any one who works with or uses media storage systems knows to create redundant backups.  Or they should.  If they don't, I'm not going to feel sorry for them.

Pretty much what I was trying to get too. I would always rather have my data across a few cards than relying on a single one. Same with backups, I will want to have them on at least two locations or more.