Testing my GPU

Attis

Hi guys,

I recently found that my GPU load have been spiking from 0-100% consistently while I am gaming and surfing through the web. I have contacted AMD and they told me to test the GPU on another computer and see if the problem persist. The reason I am making this topic is that I need help on how I do the procedure. I think I might have to download drivers but you guys can tell me. The computer that I am gonna test it on has integrated graphics card. The GPU I am testing is a r9 380.

Thanks

Install in, install the amd software for it. Then test. Assuming that computer can even run a cardnof that level. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I wouldn't do that. If you have Malware or a virus you'll infect the other PC. Your card could be mining for someone. My advice is use the trial for another anti virus and run a scan.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

As long as it isn't staying pinned at 100% and your computer is performing fine, this sounds perfectly normal to me.

EDIT: pinned at 100% while gaming IS normal.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

I wouldn't do that. If you have Malware or a virus you'll infect the other PC. Your card could be mining for someone. My advice is use the trial for another anti virus and run a scan.

A GPU cannot on its own be mining for someone else, software needs to be on the computer for that. Nor can just moving a GPU over to another system bring viruses over.

When in doubt, re-format.

Transferring a graphics card will not transfer malware or a virus of any kind.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

As long as it isn't staying pinned at 100% and your computer is performing fine, this sounds perfectly normal to me.

A GPU cannot on its own be mining for someone else, software needs to be on the computer for that. Nor can just moving a GPU over to another system bring viruses over.

Actually,  yes it can. All you need is access to the computer from a breach. You'd never know you had that software. And any memory can be contaminated. Why there were people getting viruses from keyboards.

4 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Actually,  yes it can. All you need is access to the computer from a breach. You'd never know you had that software. And any memory can be contaminated. Why there were people getting viruses from keyboards.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

No I'm sorry, you are mistaken. There is no  non-volatile storage on a graphics card. thus nothing can be stored and transferred from pc to pc on a graphics card alone. The worst that can happen is a malicious software CAN infect it and wipe the gpu's BIOS. However even that is highly unlikely because there is no real reason to do so. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

Just now, jeffmeyer5295 said:

No I'm sorry, you are mistaken. There is no  non-volatile storage on a graphics card. thus nothing can be stored and transferred from pc to pc on a graphics card alone. The worst that can happen is a malicious software CAN infect it and wipe the gpu's BIOS. However even that is highly unlikely because there is no real reason to do so. 

Incorrect,  I've seen it. Why it's important to know who refurbished a card when buying one, as of the card wasn't wiped there's a risk. Not a large one, but none zero.

My monitor gave me aids. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Incorrect,  I've seen it. Why it's important to know who refurbished a card when buying one, as of the card wasn't wiped there's a risk. Not a large one, but none zero.

I would love to see proof of this, and I'm sure any one else on this forum would agree with me too. You can infect the host PC to make it seem the the GPU is infected, by overloading it or clearing its bios. Anything stored on a gpu does not last in between boots. Hence there not being any, 'non-volatile storage'.

3 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

I would love to see proof of this, and I'm sure any one else on this forum would agree with me too. You can infect the host PC to make it seem the the GPU is infected, by overloading it or clearing its bios. Anything stored on a gpu does not last in between boots. Hence there not being any, 'non-volatile storage'.

Just about everything has hard storage.  And that can be contaminated. Just because the chances of that are slim, does not mean you take unnecessary risks. As for proof, ask Dr. Google.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Just about everything has hard storage.  And that can be contaminated. Just because the chances of that are slim, does not mean you take unnecessary risks. As for proof, ask Dr. Google.

If Dr. Google is really where you get your info then I would question its validity anyway. But just for my own curiosity do you have any sources to back it? Anything I find supports my claim. 

Side note; I do not mean to come off as a dick or confrontational in any way. I always enjoy a good debate and this is particularly interesting. Please, prove me wrong and I will learn from it. 

2 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

If Dr. Google is really where you get your info then I would question its validity anyway. But just for my own curiosity do you have any sources to back it? Anything I find supports my claim. 

Side note; I do not mean to come off as a dick or confrontational in any way. I always enjoy a good debate and this is particularly interesting. Please, prove me wrong and I will learn from it. 

Not Google, CS major. Brick and mortar not some online BS.

1 minute ago, Attis said:

Can we stay on topic? :P

We are. While the chances are slim infect another PC with the issue you're having and you'll find out the hard way.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Not Google, CS major. Brick and mortar not some online BS.

We are. While the chances are slim infect another PC with the issue you're having and you'll find out the hard way.

What should I do?

6 minutes ago, Attis said:

What should I do?

My go to is F Secure. They have a free trial and in my opinion are the best for anyone who games as they have a gaming mode. Run a sweep and if it comes up clean then my next step would be pulling the card and running off the iGPU if you have one. Watch for unnecessary usage. If not. Then try the card in another PC. 

28 minutes ago, App4that said:

My go to is F Secure. They have a free trial and in my opinion are the best for anyone who games as they have a gaming mode. Run a sweep and if it comes up clean then my next step would be pulling the card and running off the iGPU if you have one. Watch for unnecessary usage. If not. Then try the card in another PC. 

How do I disable the iGPU if im testing my r9 380?

3 minutes ago, Attis said:

How do I disable the iGPU if im testing my r9 380?

Put it in the PC and plug the monitor to it. Should do it. Or turn it off in the bios. 

Your motherboard will have display outs. If you have a iGPU. Remove the card and plug into the motherboard.

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Your motherboard will have display outs. If you have a iGPU. Remove the card and plug into the motherboard.

You can remove a IGPU?

Sorry I'm really crap with this.

Do i just plug in the r9 380?

Install the card. Plug the monitor into the card. Start the PC. 

If you have speakers leave them on. If you hear windows start and you don't see anything, cycle through the inputs on the monitor. If that doesn't work then plug the monitor back into the motherboard and disable igpu in the bios. 

I think there is some confusion happening. If your graphics card is hitting 100% while surfing and other light tasks, you have a problem. So if a security sweep comes up empty, removing the card from the computer and working off the iGPU will tell you if the card or the computer is the problem.

11 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

If you have speakers leave them on. If you hear windows start and you don't see anything, cycle through the inputs on the monitor. If that doesn't work then plug the monitor back into the motherboard and disable igpu in the bios. 

So if I don't see anything on my monitor, I go to the bios using my Igpu again? Which mean removing my r9 380?