Home Network Remote connect options

danoedel97

Hi Everyone!

I need some help with a remote connection to my server(and possibly other network devices) . Here are the details:

2012 R2 server

Will be connecting mostly from win 10 machines.

I am 1000 miles away right now, and Teamviewer decided to stop working. Essentially the solution would ideally be available in a .exe file, that I can have a family member install.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RDP does not work because my ISP sucks and does some internal routing of his own.

What solution would be best for this kind of connection? Is there a product better value than paying $800 for a TV license? Would sailing the high seas be an option? I don't want anyone to get in trouble for condoning piracy, but the prices for some of this shit is just ludicrous. 

Cheers, and thanks for the help guys.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

vpn?

What kind of vpn setup? I just have a IP spoofing vpn. Is this something that I will be able to get past my ISPs subnetting?

1 minute ago, danoedel97 said:

What kind of vpn setup? I just have a IP spoofing vpn. Is this something that I will be able to get past my ISPs subnetting?

use something like openvpn to vpn in from a remote location to your server

i'm confused as to why teamviewer would stop working.

teamviewer *is* kinda the solution for things like this, and as long as it's for personal use its free of charge.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i'm confused as to why teamviewer would stop working.

teamviewer *is* kinda the solution for things like this, and as long as it's for personal use its free of charge.

It said my license expired. Maybe it assumed it wasn't personal since its running on a win server install

1 minute ago, danoedel97 said:

It said my license expired. Maybe it assumed it wasn't personal since its running on a win server install

do you have some form of access that'd allow you to reinstall teamviewer explicitly as personal?

teamviewer personal runs just fine on my windows server box last time i tried.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

do you have some form of access that'd allow you to reinstall teamviewer explicitly as personal?

teamviewer personal runs just fine on my windows server box last time i tried.

Don't know. 

'The trial license of the connection partner has expired. As your connection partner uses TeamViewer commercially, either one of you (one of the connection partners) needs a vaild TeamViewer license'

I installed on both my laptop and my server using the same .exe on my flash drive. Both of the installs have been added to the same TV account, so that I can remote connect without another person hitting accept.

I will try this openVPN setup. I have more confidence in my family's technical abilities there.

At my old place, I had RDP port forwarded through two routers so I could access my server on the go from my phone or laptop and it worked fine. You can otherwise create a VPN on the server and port forward that instead, as that capability is included in WIndows Server. 

Both options (minus the port forwarding but that is pretty straightforward) could be enabled by writing a powershell script for your family member of choice to import and get you going. Or the same family member could just reinstall teamviewer since that solution was otherwise working for you.

On 12/22/2016 at 5:39 PM, r3bify said:

At my old place, I had RDP port forwarded through two routers so I could access my server on the go from my phone or laptop and it worked fine. You can otherwise create a VPN on the server and port forward that instead, as that capability is included in WIndows Server. 

Both options (minus the port forwarding but that is pretty straightforward) could be enabled by writing a powershell script for your family member of choice to import and get you going. Or the same family member could just reinstall teamviewer since that solution was otherwise working for you.

Thanks for the help. I tried everything RDP, but my ISP will not budge. I tried having them reinstall TV. Apparently you need to go into the regedit, and delete a few files and get a new MAC address. Way beyond their skill level. I'm not exactly a wizard when it comes to powershell scripts. I will just wait until I am back from vacation, and figure this out.

Thanks all for your help though.