Will my motherboard support these drives?

davchun

I have an Asus Maximus VII Hero, and I would like to purchase either a Samsung 960 Pro, or Intel 750 PCIE SSD. 

The question is, will my motherboard support either of these drives and let them run at their full possible speeds, or will it be bottlenecked?

I'm not too knowledgeable in this, and would like some advice.

From the looks of it, that board doesn't have an M.2 slot, so you will need to use a PCIE adapter in order to connect one of those drives. It should work at full speed provided that you have a PCI slot and riser card in order to get it into your system.

EDIT: I was wrong, it has a 2x pcie m.2 slot. Should be plenty fast, but MAY bottlenect 4x PCIE drives.

When in doubt, re-format.

2 minutes ago, davchun said:

I have an Asus Maximus VII Hero, and I would like to purchase either a Samsung 960 Pro, or Intel 750 PCIE SSD. 

The question is, will my motherboard support either of these drives and let them run at their full possible speeds, or will it be bottlenecked?

I'm not too knowledgeable in this, and would like some advice.

Yes it will be supported just fine. Btw z97 or z170?

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

From the looks of it, that board doesn't have an M.2 slot, so you will need to use a PCIE adapter in order to connect one of those drives. It should work at full speed provided that you have a PCI slot and riser card in order to get it into your system.

Intel® Z170 chipset :
1 x M.2 x4 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)*1

Intel® Z97 chipset :
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology *3
1 x M.2 Socket 3, black, with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode)

10 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

I corrected my original reply long before your post.

Maximus VII Hero is z97 and has a PCIe 2x m.2 port.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/

I know. They are all heroes and I put both just in case if OP made a mistake not putting additional I there