Are Nvidia shooting themselves in the foot with G-Sync?

Luke
5 hours ago, Praesi said:

"I like Apples. Round and tasty."]

Incorrect, sir.  The proper argument has raged since 1951.

"Wabbit season!"

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

10 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah, that point being when AMD actually manages to get some fucking GPU market share and that point is coming errr.....

Would you rather AMD did not have any marketshare and went under?

And we were left with the company that's been gimping the shit out of old cards, putting telemetry in their drivers, and charging for every bit that they can? (not just Gsync, SLI motherboards, SLI bridges, etc)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

And we were left with the company that's been gimping the shit out of old cards, putting telemetry in their drivers, and charging for every bit that they can? (not just Gsync, SLI motherboards, SLI bridges, etc)

That's not what he said at all, nor was that the point he was trying to make. His entire point is, AMD's marketshare is so low compared to Nvidia, that Nvidia won't need to adopt Freesync, since the majority of users use their product. They have a stranglehold on the market, and can charge for tech like this because of it. If AMD had a larger marketshare, then the number of Freesync monitors sold (and therefore, manufactured) would also increase. You yourself used Steam's hardware survey as an example before, so I'll use it now: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Nvidia's marketshare in just steam gaming, more than doubles AMD's. Until that changes dramatically, Nvidia won't be forced to adopt anything outside of their proprietary ecosystem. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If someone else like Intel would take over, yes. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, MageTank said:

That's not what he said at all, nor was that the point he was trying to make. His entire point is, AMD's marketshare is so low compared to Nvidia, that Nvidia won't need to adopt Freesync, since the majority of users use their product. They have a stranglehold on the market, and can charge for tech like this because of it. If AMD had a larger marketshare, then the number of Freesync monitors sold (and therefore, manufactured) would also increase. You yourself used Steam's hardware survey as an example before, so I'll use it now: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Nvidia's marketshare in just steam gaming, more than doubles AMD's. Until that changes dramatically, Nvidia won't be forced to adopt anything outside of their proprietary ecosystem. 

I think you're right. It's unfortunate but at least Crimson Relive helps their marketing side, I also thought about why they don't just put their logo on all PS4 and Xbox one games, since they own the hardware IP for them. Just something like "optimized by AMD" or "built for Radeon hardware".

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If someone else like Intel would take over, yes. 

My dream is that Samsung takes over some portion, be it the CPU division or RTG. Can't exactly tell why.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

My dream is that Samsung takes over some portion, be it the CPU division or RTG. Can't exactly tell why.

That'd be an explosive change of pace for sure. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 hours ago, Paradine Sage said:

No, nVidia aren't shooting themselves in the foot with G-Sync.

At least not until and unless someone else actually produces a card that can compete in the mid to high end market. Yeah, if you are a 1060/480 level customer then G-Sync isn't worth it and you should buy the 480 (it is a better value for money proposition at that performance point). But do you want to game at 4K? Do you want to use VR? Do you want to run multiple 1440p monitors? That entire area of the market is totally owned by nVidia and these are the people who are willing to shell out for the G-Sync displays.

When you are already dropping 1500 to 2500 USD between your graphics card and monitor, an extra hundred or two bucks just doesn't matter that much. At those price levels you are targeting a performance level, not a price point, and unless someone else offers performance that is substantially the same then a few hundred bucks higher or lower just isn't much of a deal breaker.

In the meantime i know they're not but i mean in the long run it seems like it could be a bad decision. FreeSync monitors can sell AMD GPU's because it's a great feature with a low price premium but i can't imagine people buying Nvidia GPU's specifically for G-Sync monitors but rather G-Sync monitors.

Basically what i'm saying is if Nvidia and AMD were on equal playing fields with their high end GPU's i can see Freesync playing a role in a buyers decision. If AMD has a counterpart to every Nvidia GPU (They only do for 1060 and below at the moment) Freesync could play a small role in helping regain marketshare where as Nvidia is basically just netting a bit more profit for for each G-Sync monitor sale. It doesn't seem like a good decision to not compete with AMD on the price-performance side of things when it comes to monitors in the long run but who knows.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Perhaps if AMD were to release a quality high end GPU worth a damn, more would be happy going to FreeSync.

CPU: i7-7700K | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 Super | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Motherboard: MSI M5 Gaming | SSDs: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Kingston SSDNow + 500GB SK hynix SL308 500GB  | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB