Do you find Youtube Content creators overstate how much power you need for video editing?

gonvres
5 minutes ago, Dargenfire said:

Despite Premiere, After Effects and Media Encoder all using the same rendering engine, I've found Premiere and After Effects to do some weird things in the past with oddly corrupted exports or bad colour distortion (albeit very infrequently).

I've never had a problem with Media Encoder and I suspect that more effort has been put into its stability, since it's sole purpose is being a transcoding program.

I just wish there was some way to render on GPU.  I have a feeling it could be a good order of magnitude faster...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Does anybody know if HitFilm 4 Express uses the CPU or GPU? Cos it mainly seems to be taxing my CPU.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm using my Haswell Quad Core i5 and usually do 1080p60.

But I've recently noticed that when recording the video above 7Mbit, the preview skips frames and the final video looks bad.

Is there a way to fix that?

My background is graphic design(education wise my major is a science/medical field), video stuff was more of a Casey Neistat/Linus learn as you screw up back in 2005-ish.

All I can suggest is lower the bit-rate(variable bit-rate can be done with some software), try another codec and or consider a hardware encoding accelerator--my mobile workstation has an i7-3615QM and I mostly rely upon FCPX for professional work, yet I do use a mix of other video editing software. I still use an old Elgato Turbo H264 stick which seems to play a role in faster encoding tasks but I had it since the Core 2 Duo era.

Most video work I've done is use a batch convert system and compare shorter video clips so you get a rough idea of the final video output quality.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Does anybody know if HitFilm 4 Express uses the CPU or GPU? Cos it mainly seems to be taxing my CPU.

Going by their site it lists GPU support but I never used Hitfilm--several times I nearly took advantage of the GiveAwayOfTheDay promo but reviews were always a mixed bag.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I just wish there was some way to render on GPU.  I have a feeling it could be a good order of magnitude faster...

Unfortunately, there does not exist proper NVENC support in the Adobe suite. Since Nvidia cards have a hardware H.264 Encoder, this would help to speed up the process, but I have no idea where it's at IF it's in development at all right now.

There are GPU accelerated Effects within Premiere/After Effects, but whether the codec supports is entirely different.

I know some codecs are CUDA and OpenCL accelerated (e.g. Cineform) but I don't think any widely universal codecs are GPU accelerated at the moment.

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hitfilm 4 Express will be mainly CPU bound, like Final Cut, Avid, Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc. Most of these programs advertise GPU Acceleration, but that is mainly limited to certain effects, or in some cases, a few codecs.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, PaintChips said:

My background is graphic design(education wise my major is a science/medical field), video stuff was more of a Casey Neistat/Linus learn as you screw up back in 2005-ish.

All I can suggest is lower the bit-rate(variable bit-rate can be done with some software), try another codec and or consider a hardware encoding accelerator--my mobile workstation has an i7-3615QM and I mostly rely upon FCPX for professional work, yet I do use a mix of other video editing software. I still use an old Elgato Turbo H264 stick which seems to play a role in faster encoding tasks but I had it since the Core 2 Duo era.

the only codecs I can use for recording are x264 and NVENC h.264 :(. Of which, x264 is way more demanding than NVENC.

1 minute ago, PaintChips said:

Going by their site it lists GPU support but I never used Hitfilm--several times I nearly took advantage of the GiveAwayOfTheDay promo but reviews were always a mixed bag.

Ok. Cos It doesn't feel like they're using the GPU.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

part of what makes them recommend something like the mondo 8 core 16 thread 6900k when all youre doing is basic editing, is because often, theyre in a time crunch. the quicker they can get done editing a video, the less down time there is that could be spent doing more productive things.

I suppose it may be one of those things (I don't have any reason for an i7 so someone may have to take this with a grain of salt) that you don't know how much it helps until you have it. like, 1080p 60fps is fine for A LOT of people, but if they started playing at 1440p 144fps, going back would be unbearable.

What erks me even more (LMG is an outlier in that they actively don't do this) is channels saying to game at (insert title, resolution, and frame rate here,) you need a 6700k or better.