GTX 670 or wait for 700 series?

Cs342

So I was thinking of getting a GTX 670 to replace my awesome but very old GTX 460 1GB, since I can only manage around 40FPS with Crysis 3. However, I'm not sure when the 700 series is going to come out, so I might regret buying a 670 if the new cards are just around the corner. What would be the best thing to do?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

It depends on if you really need the extra power or not. I would buy a 670 now, use it for at least a year, then sell it off and buy a new card. There is always someone out there looking for a second card to SLI with.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

700 series rumored to be released in Q3 of 2013 but expect it to be pushed back to Dec.

Also don't expect new 700 series to be same price point as current 670s until maybe about Q2 2014 (assuming they come out in dec)

Theres also currency inflation so maybe it won't even be the same price point ever

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Buy it now, the 700 series could be a long wait.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies! So has it been confirmed that there will be no 700 series until the end of the year?

Hi guys, thanks for the replies! So has it been confirmed that there will be no 700 series until the end of the year? I remember reading somewhere that the new cards would be released around March 2013.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies! So has it been confirmed that there will be no 700 series until the end of the year? I remember reading somewhere that the new cards would be released around March 2013.
That news is from like Sept of 2012

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Well if the new series isn't going to be launched until next year then I guess the question is which card to get. I was thinking of the MSI Power Edition GTX 670, but I've also seen a pretty good deal for an XFX 7970 DD.

the 7900 series comes with Crysis 3 and Bioshock aswell so if you're planning on buying those games than that can obviously make it an even better deal :)

I already have Crysis 3 as I mentioned in the first post :) I guess the 670 would be better for games with PhysX, and apparently it's a really good overclocker

I already have Crysis 3 as I mentioned in the first post :) I guess the 670 would be better for games with PhysX, and apparently it's a really good overclocker
you could sell the extra copy of Crysis 3 to a friend and buy something else (personally I would buy chocolate :D). and yes, if you get it with a good cooler you could overclock if you wanted to

i don't have the budget for an aftermarket GPU cooler

I can get the 7970 or the GTX 670 for roughly the same price. Quite a tough decision... On one hand the 670 matches the color scheme of my build almost perfectly and offers support for awesome PhysX effects, but on the other hand the 7970 almost definitely performs faster. I guess it just comes down to cooling and noise.

Very simple, you will not benefit enough to upgrade now to a 670, i would save, get a pcie 3.0 supporting motherboard and get a 7 series card. (Wait to see if they utilise pcie 3.0) you may also need a card with more vram by next year. Im waiting and i know i will regret investing now on hardware 😊

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Very simple' date=' you will not benefit enough to upgrade now to a 670, i would save, get a pcie 3.0 supporting motherboard and get a 7 series card. (Wait to see if they utilise pcie 3.0) you may also need a card with more vram by next year. Im waiting and i know i will regret investing now on hardware 😊[/quote']

are you sure? going from a 460 to a 670 would be a HUGE upgrade...

buy the 670 gtx now as no one really know when or if the 700 series is coming

MB: Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7 Z370 Cpu: Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8ghz Gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming OC 8GB Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz  Psu: Corsair RM1000i 

Ssd's: WD Green nvme m.2 512gb (boot), 480gb (Steam), 480gb (Uplay) and 480gb (Origin)  Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Monitors 1: Asus pb287q @ 75hz

Since you already have a GTX 460 you won't need the 670 for PhysX, grab the 7970, on the latest drivers its as fast or faster than the 680 depending on the game + the XFX card has lifetime warranty and looks fantastic.

Plus you'll need a 7000 series cards to run TressFX & other possible AMD technologies properly, since all Nvidia cards & all previous gen AMD cards take huge performance hits from it.

Even the Titan suffers with TressFX http://www.techspot.com/review/645-tomb-raider-performance/page4.html

You also get Crysis 3 (which you already have) and Bioshock Infinite both great games .

And no the 670s don't actually overclock all that well, none of the 600 series cards overclock well due to the voltage cap, which MSI removed on their lightning & power edition cards but was forced to put back because Nvidia pulled all warranty.

Since you already have a GTX 460 you won't need the 670 for PhysX, grab the 7970, on the latest drivers its as fast or faster than the 680 depending on the game + the XFX card has lifetime warranty and looks fantastic.

Plus you'll need a 7000 series cards to run TressFX & other possible AMD technologies properly, since all Nvidia cards & all previous gen AMD cards take huge performance hits from it.

Even the Titan suffers with TressFX http://www.techspot.com/review/645-tomb-raider-performance/page4.html

You also get Crysis 3 (which you already have) and Bioshock Infinite both great games .

And no the 670s don't actually overclock all that well, none of the 600 series cards overclock well due to the voltage cap, which MSI removed on their lightning & power edition cards but was forced to put back because Nvidia pulled all warranty.

+1 This guy knows his stuff.

Are you suggesting for him to keep the card in his box to be used for PhysX features still with the 7970 in at the same time? 0.o

Stupid question I know, but right now I'm sitting with 580s in SLI and I'm really contemplating either a 670 or 7970 jump now that this next gen just feels like it'll never come. Is a red/green hybrid practical?

@Mikey yes, read the description .

Direct link to HybridPhysX drivers :

http://physxinfo.com/news/6496/hybrid-physx-mod-1-05ff-is-available/

Well holy shit I'm selling one of these cards if that's the case for all PhysX titles, thanks!!

Glad to be of help Mikey .

I thought it said 480, in that case yes i think its worthwile to upgrade to a 670, in fact a very good upgrade. Ill put my eyes in next time i read something 😀

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Or as techfan@ic said the 7970 is an even better upgrade 😊