build on a budget

Build advice  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should I build it?

• Yea sure.
    • Try changing some parts.
    • No not at all.

I am planning on building a pc for about $500. this is my first PC build and i am wondering if this is a good PC for light gaming: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fFHDQV. I already have the case, monitor, and peripherals covered. I will not be buying the GPU immediately I plan on buying that once I have enough money. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Edit: I might also do some light software development and 3d modeling. The i3 6100 is not overclockable I would rather have on that is

You've really made the most of a tight budget. However you can get legit copies of Windows 10 from G2A or Kinguin and if you use their guarantee you won't get scammed. That can bring the price down to like $35.

I would try and buy a CPU, RAM and motherboard used if you can to save more money. I would also try everything you can to move to Intel because I've been stuck on AMD for 4 years and it's not that good for gaming. (At least until we see how Ryzen turns out.)

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

1 minute ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

You've really made the most of a tight budget. However you can get legit copies of Windows 10 from G2A or Kinguin and if you use their guarantee you won't get scammed. That can bring the price down to like $35.

I would try and buy a CPU, RAM and motherboard used if you can to save more money. I would also try everything you can to move to Intel because I've been stuck on AMD for 4 years and it's not that good for gaming. (At least until we see how Ryzen turns out.)

I will only be doing light gaming and maybe some software development/3d modeling on it and I plan on getting a GPU later if I switched to intel should I stick with AMD gpus or go NVIDIA for budget. 

I would switch out the cpu for an intel.

3 minutes ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

You've really made the most of a tight budget.

No, he hasn't. The GTX 1050 is much faster and thus much better for the money, there's no point investing in an APU if you're going to use a graphics card (the Polaris GPU won't run in dual-graphics with the integrated R7 GPU).

Also, $125 above his tight budget and the PC still won't perform better than the build I'm about to post.

Just now, Tb428 said:

I will only be doing light gaming and maybe some software development/3d modeling on it and I plan on getting a GPU later if I switched to intel should I stick with AMD gpus or go NVIDIA for budget. 

Stick to AMD GPUs. If you want CrossFire or FreeSync motherboards and monitors that support it are cheaper than NVIDIAs SLI and Gsync because AMD don't charge royalties to manufactures for it.

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

No, he hasn't. The GTX 1050 is much faster and thus much better for the money, there's no point investing in an APU if you're going to use a graphics card (the Polaris GPU won't run in dual-graphics with the integrated R7 GPU).

Also, $125 above his tight budget and the PC still won't perform better than the build I'm about to post.

I said I will not be buying a GPU for a while(could not be for a year) so I have to use an APU or intel cpu with integrated graphics.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You're right about the GPU and I don't agree with the CPU he chose.

Desktop

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

2 minutes ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

Stick to AMD GPUs. If you want CrossFire or FreeSync motherboards and monitors that support it are cheaper than NVIDIAs SLI and Gsync because AMD don't charge royalties to manufactures for it.

thanks thats what I figured but wanted to check.

Just now, Tb428 said:

I said I will not be buying a GPU for a while(could not be for a year) so I have to use an APU or intel cpu with integrated graphics.

But you can get a very powerful GPU with a $500 budget. I hereby submit my build.

• Vastly superior CPU
  • Vastly superior GPU
  • Much more reliable Antec Earthwatts 500 power supply
  • A case known
  • A faster SSD
  • The option to upgrade to 16GB of RAM later
  • A case renowned for being sturdy and silent
  • About $110 cheaper than your build. If I'm allowed to go up to $625, I can make a far more powerful build that puts even this one to shame

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: *MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($41.07 @ Amazon) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB HS Triple X Video Card  ($169.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Antec SONATA III 500 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply  ($40.98 @ PCM) 
Other: Windows 10 OEM Key (Kinguin) ($25.00)
Total: $516.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-19 13:44 EST-0500

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

This Built will be better. its more stable and more futureproof.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gkpYRG
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gkpYRG/by_merchant/

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($50.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($41.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: ADATA Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($40.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($40.26 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 460 2GB Video Card  ($97.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $432.07

I need the 1TB hard drive and would prefer the 120GB ssd.

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

But you can get a very powerful GPU with a $500 budget. I hereby submit my build.

• Vastly superior CPU
  • Vastly superior GPU
  • Much more reliable Antec Earthwatts 500 power supply
  • A case known
  • A faster SSD
  • The option to upgrade to 16GB of RAM later
  • A case renowned for being sturdy and silent
  • About $110 cheaper than your build. If I'm allowed to go up to $625, I can make a far more powerful build that puts even this one to shame

Motherboard: *MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($41.07 @ Amazon) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB HS Triple X Video Card  ($169.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Antec SONATA III 500 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply  ($40.98 @ PCM) 
Other: Windows 10 OEM Key (Kinguin) ($25.00)
Total: $516.90
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-19 13:44 EST-0500

I want more IO on the motherboard if possible but otherwise that would be fine

2 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

I want more IO on the motherboard if possible but otherwise that would be fine

Are you sure you can't go up on your budget? At $625, I'd be able to incorporate a Core i5 6500 and a GTX 1060 6GB that will be able to max out anything at 1080p for years.

7 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Are you sure you can't go up on your budget? At $625, I'd be able to incorporate a Core i5 6500 and a GTX 1060 6GB that will be able to max out anything at 1080p for years.

Well I am a teenager with no job so no I can't but anyway the i3-6100  is not overclockable while the A10-7700k is and I would probably want to overclock that is why I went with the aftermarket cpu cooler.

1 minute ago, Tb428 said:

Well I am a teenager with no job so no I can't but anyway the i3-6100  is not overclockable while the A10-7700k is and I would probably want to overclock that is why I went with the aftermarket cpu cooler.

Do you want to overclock for the sake of overclocking or to get better performance for your money? Because the Core i3 6100 will kick the 7700k's ass even if the latter is overclocked to the limits of that puny cooler.

Do you want to overclock for the sake of overclocking or to get better performance for your money? Because the Core i3 6100 will kick the 7700k's ass even if the latter is overclocked to the limits of that puny cooler.

both but either way the extra graphics power of the APU and the cheaper price make it better for me because I want it as cheap as possible with the most features I can get like usb type-c and usb 3.1. 

3 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

both but either way the extra graphics power of the APU and the cheaper price make it better for me because I want it as cheap as possible with the most features I can get like usb type-c and usb 3.1. 

The APU cannot run in dual graphics with the RX 460. AMD APUs can only run dual graphics with an R7 200 series card. It's not going to perform better than the i3, even when overclocked. If you think it will, then you're going to waste your money, and regret it when you find out that I was right.

You don't get features like that until you spend almost twice as much on a motherboard. Also, while this motherboard has more features, ASRock has a bad reputation on the budget end when it comes to quality control and power delivery.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157683&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

The APU cannot run in dual graphics with the RX 460. AMD APUs can only run dual graphics with an R7 200 series card. It's not going to perform better than the i3, even when overclocked. If you think it will, then you're going to waste your money, and regret it when you find out that I was right.

You don't get features like that until you spend almost twice as much on a motherboard-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157683&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

the integrated graphics on the A10 are better than the i3 and I might not be getting a graphics card for a year.

3 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

the integrated graphics on the A10 are better than the i3 and I might not be getting a graphics card for a year.

But if you can afford to spend $625 (listed in your initial build), you can afford a graphics card. The cost of your build minus the cost of the graphics card is $505. My build is only $10 more expensive than that, so it's practically the cost of your old build without the cost of the GPU you included. 

Oh, it also has a better CPU, GPU, SSD, Power supply, motherboard, and case (your build doesn't even have a case)- basically better everything.

6 hours ago, Aereldor said:

i don't think PCM is selling the sonata at all, website states VSK300E instead of the sonata and i can't find anything about that case on PCM.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

going by your original build cost(run OS deactivated until you get the money for it):

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB XXX OC  Video Card  ($239.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($26.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.98 @ B&H) 
Total: $628.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-19 20:48 EST-0500

$500:

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 4GB Red Dragon Video Card  ($191.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($26.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $501.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-19 20:48 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

i don't think PCM is selling the sonata at all, website states VSK300E instead of the sonata and i can't find anything about that case on PCM.

Huh, I swear it was in stock until a little while ago. I'll need to reconfigure all of my budget builds, including the $300 one in my signature.