How does eGPUs work

Pixelar

I wonder if i can connect an eGPU to my laptop using 

XCSOURCE PCI-E 1X to 16X Mining Machine Enhanced Extender Riser Card Adapter with 30cm USB 3.0 Power Cable AC330

to add my GTX 1060 because currently i don't have the money to buy the rest of my pc (i have my gtx 1060 at the moment).

Would i need something other than this?

It'd help a lot to know the laptop you're using. Either way, no, it probably wouldn't work at all for 99% of laptops.

8 minutes ago, Pixelar said:

XCSOURCE PCI-E 1X to 16X Mining Machine Enhanced Extender Riser Card Adapter with 30cm USB 3.0 Power Cable AC330

to add my GTX 1060 because currently i don't have the money to buy the rest of my pc (i have my gtx 1060 at the moment).

Yeah, don't use that. The performance will be bottlenecked SEVERELY. The reason the Razer Core, Alienware Graphics amp, etc. sell is because they are the appropriate solution. You need much more power than the SATA power the thing you linked, you need more than USB bandwidth (what the thing you linked provided), etc. That's why those products exist, and they are what you'll have to use.

Also in the future instead of copy pasting the title of an amazon ad, please just link it.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Thanks for the answers.Im using the dell xps l502x.

What you are describeing is a riser cable I think. Not quite sure. What you need is a usb adaptor for the pcie and a standard ATX power supply to power the graphics card (you will need to jump the pins with a paper clip becouse you will have no power button). Keep in mind that the port you will use to plug in the graphics card will be your wireless card port, so if you want wifi, you will need to buy a dongle. 

So this: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GWMUK7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482059666&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=usb+to+pcie&dpPl=1&dpID=41%2BHIqD%2BPUL&ref=plSrch

and a power supply for the 6 pin on the GPU

Here is a video on the subject:

24 minutes ago, Pixelar said:

That is not an eGPU adapter, it won't work at all(for your use). The connector on your laptop isn't the same, and it doesn't use USB.

17 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

What you are describeing is a riser cable I think. Not quite sure. What you need is a usb adaptor for the pcie and a standard ATX power supply to power the graphics card (you will need to jump the pins with a paper clip becouse you will have no power button). Keep in mind that the port you will use to plug in the graphics card will be your wireless card port, so if you want wifi, you will need to buy a dongle. 

So this: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GWMUK7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482059666&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=usb+to+pcie&dpPl=1&dpID=41%2BHIqD%2BPUL&ref=plSrch

and a power supply for the 6 pin on the GPU

Here is a video on the subject:

Sorry, the thing I linked might be wrong, but I know a thing exists. Try the link under the youtube video.