Hybrid Cooling RX 480 Sapphire Nito+

Hybrid Cooling An RX480 Nitro+ By Sapphire.

The goal was to hit 1500 Mhz. I achieved 1450.  The one the benchmark run for 1500.  I got a BSOD Video TDR Failure and this persisted through several reboots. It never got above 55C. The card is now running 1340 at 1.08V because I only really wanted a quite card.

Before I started I needed specific information on the board I'm using. 

This video gives us an idea of the operating range of the VRM, and it basically just needs some airflow. the same should be true for the Vram but I have small heat-sinks for them both anyway. 

Lets get started

IMG_20161217_140834 (Custom).jpg

I am using a NZXT G10 and a Corsair H70

Disassembly of the card. The Back plate screws into the Fan shroud through the PCB. The heat sink is fastened directly to the PCB

IMG_20161217_142137 (Custom).jpg

A quick test fit shows that one of the Foam up stands for the G10 get in way of the power connector. So I removed it. 

IMG_20161217_144019 (Custom).jpg

Install these heat-sinks to the mosfets

IMG_20161217_145624 (Custom).jpg

Install these heat-sinks to the Vram. Some of these are not centered on the chips because of the clearance issues with the AIO. 

IMG_20161217_150609 (Custom).jpg

Assemble NZXT G10 Normally

IMG_20161217_151206 (Custom).jpg

Install

IMG_20161217_152719 (Custom).jpg

I don't have the Bench-marking scores because I seriously thought I fried my card trying for 1500 Mhz. I may update this post with 1450 Mhz results for Timespy, Firestrike, and Catzilla at a later date if I get requests. For Most Gaming loads this setup does not exceed 50C on the GPU and the Noctua fans keep it quite. The pump is wired directly to a Molex Power adapter for a fan and just runs 100% all the time.  And the VRM fan is attached to the case fan hub. 

System Details

i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz

4x4 GB DDR3 

EVGA SLI LE

Samsung 840 Evo SSD

This is my First time doing a write up LMK what I did right/wrong, if this was helpfull, and if it's even in the right place. 

If you want high OCs, get the BIOS that's quoted in this video

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

19 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If you want high OCs, get the BIOS that's quoted in this video

Sweet thanks I need this to pass the 1.5GHz mark. Its locked for me. Its not going to help him much.

21 minutes ago, Dugg117 said:

I got 1495/2100 with 50% power  and 96+ voltage

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

18 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I got 1495/2100 with 50% power  and 96+ voltage

*Cries in the corner how my £120 Asus Strix RX470 can only do 1350MHz with memory downclocked due to how it only has a 6 pin PCIe connector*

And yes, at 1400MHz, my cut down P10 chip consumes 190watts underload...not including how ever much the vRAM chips need when technically it can only supply 150Watts...although I have a XFX XTS 1kW PSU ;-;

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

If I get brave  later I may try that bios and I'll be a little more methodical than simply turn the dials up and see what happens. I did figure out that the persistent video error was probably my unstable overclock being applied on startup