Is it safe to have an SSD mounted like this?

geek on fleek

It's all in the title. I just bought an 850 evo ssd and don't have a proper mount and I just want to make sure installing it like this is fine for my pc, not sure if the link will go through but it's just a gyazo https://gyazo.com/5cdf111e957282ba98cc1240680c98ff

i7 7700k OC 4.7 GHz | MSI Gaming M3 Z270 | Corsair H100i v2 | MSI 1080 Aero | Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM HDD + 256 Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 EVGA 600B | Dell S2417DG 1440p 144hz, BenQ RL2455 | Corsair K70 RGB LUX | Razer Deathadder Chroma | HyperX Cloud Alpha

That's not mounting, that's putting it there. Duct tape it so it doesn't move away. Don't worry SSD doesn't have moving parts and therefore are hard to be break 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

That's not mounting, that's putting it there. Duct tape it so it doesn't move away. Don't worry SSD doesn't have moving parts and therefore are hard to be break 

It's not gonna move. The sata and power cable are very very stiff and short, should I still duct tape it?

i7 7700k OC 4.7 GHz | MSI Gaming M3 Z270 | Corsair H100i v2 | MSI 1080 Aero | Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM HDD + 256 Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 EVGA 600B | Dell S2417DG 1440p 144hz, BenQ RL2455 | Corsair K70 RGB LUX | Razer Deathadder Chroma | HyperX Cloud Alpha

That's not really mounting it as it can move around freely without being attached to anything. That being said, it's fine if you run it like that as long as it doesn't fall off..but you should probably mount it for preventative purposes. Despite the increased durability and resiliency of SSDs, I'd rather not take the chance of possibly breaking it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

5 hours ago, geek on fleek said:

It's not gonna move. The sata and power cable are very very stiff and short, should I still duct tape it?

better safe than sorry. 

Mine is screwed to the motherboard plate with a single screw. hasn't fallen yet lol. Most SSD can take quite a whack some upwards of 60G.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

If you're not moving your PC or anything it's fine. I had mine leaning against one of my side panel for years and nothing happened

You can mount an SSD however you like it. And moving it doesn't harm it in anyway. No moving parts.

Even 2.5'' laptop drives can be moved while working. The head parks automatically as the sensors detect movement. 

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

A strip of velcro on the back meeting with a strip of velcro on the drive cage should do it just fine. I've had far worse setups when trying to cram an SSD into a tight or old build, using things as wonderful as duct tape to hold everything in place, and have yet to see an SSD drop.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.