CRAZY PING SPIKES PLS HELP!!

Chace

Hey all, I am a gamer and have recently experienced ping spikes when playing. My internet is good and fast, im on a wifi connection. ping is usually about 18-22ms then can spike up to 250 ms please help its awful.

Is it just one game?

Could it be the server?

Can you replicate the issue with pinging google DNS for example? (8.8.8.8)

Have you booted your router/modem?

12 hours ago, U.Ho said:

Is it just one game?

Could it be the server?

Can you replicate the issue with pinging google DNS for example? (8.8.8.8)

Have you booted your router/modem?

@U.Ho  Hi, Its also in other games, I have pinged my router and still get the spikes in the pinging, rebooted router heaps of times. 

6 hours ago, Chace said:

@U.Ho  Hi, Its also in other games, I have pinged my router and still get the spikes in the pinging, rebooted router heaps of times. 

Ok, so the issue seems to be in the LAN if pinging your router also gives ping spikes.

Do you have a long or old cable to your router?

Are you using wifi?

Not powerline I hope?

@U.Ho  i'm using wifi, and the problem seems to stop when i connect with Ethernet cable 

the problem only appears to happen of one computer , does this mean its a problem with my network adapter?? i hope not its only new and was expensive!

@Chace Try connecting to the modem/router with an Ethernet cable and see if it helps. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

5 minutes ago, Chace said:

When i play games on one computer I experience crazy high ping spikes and on a laptop i played the same game and experienced zero spikes while playing at the same time. I am on a wifi connection. hopefully not a problem with my wifi adapter

A process running in the background on your desktop could be using bandwidth, if it's running Windows 10 it wouldn't surprise me if an update is the cause.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

@Mike Soda I have quit skype, chrome, steam and any other influences and the problem still persists. I am also the only one using the internet at this moment.

@Freezanator ok I will try this 

I just connected it and it stopped spiking , ping is low and consistent

I've tried:

• rebooting router
  • connecting pc to Ethernet cable (this fixed the ping problem while I was connected, I experienced zero spikes or high ping) (could there be a problem with my wifi adapter??)
  • changing channel
  • contacted network provider (they said that everything looked fine on their end) 

Please help me, any help appreciated! 

UPDATE:

I have just tried my brothers wifi adapter and the issue still persists even with his adapter which he gets good/normal ping on his PC with. This most likely means it is not a problem with my adapter.

Just now, Droidbot said:

WIFI adapter is probably dying tbh

@Droidbot  I really hope not, its just so bizarre because web browsing, speed tests, and downloading works great. I really hope not because it was expensive and only got it under 6 months ago

11 minutes ago, Chace said:

@Droidbot  I really hope not, its just so bizarre because web browsing, speed tests, and downloading works great. I really hope not because it was expensive and only got it under 6 months ago

then send it in for warranty

3 hours ago, Chace said:

@U.Ho the problem only appears to happen of one computer , does this mean its a problem with my network adapter?? i hope not its only new and was expensive!

It might be the adapter, yes.

It also might be some interfering factor.

Do you have any wireless devices connected in the room? Bluetooth maybe?

Have you installed any new electronics around the time the issue started?

Just want to rule out any outside factors before suggesting something that costs money...

54 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

WIFI adapter is probably dying tbh

@Beeeyeee @Droidbot check my edit on the post, I looks like it is now no longer pointing the the direction of a faulty adapter

One thing you could try is change your WLAN channel to something completely different. This is especially the case if you're running a 2.5GHz network instead of 5GHz.

5 hours ago, U.Ho said:

It might be the adapter, yes.

It also might be some interfering factor.

Do you have any wireless devices connected in the room? Bluetooth maybe?

Have you installed any new electronics around the time the issue started?

Just want to rule out any outside factors before suggesting something that costs money...

@U.Ho nothing new is in my room, since posting this I have made a new post which I have since discovered a lot of new things about my issue. The new post link is here. thanks for help so far this is really frustrating 

how would I change the channel? would it be in my network gateway? I am the only person experiencing this issue in my house so I dont think it would be a fault in the network but rather in my pc or so. 

1 minute ago, Chace said:

@U.Ho how would I change the channel? would it be in my network gateway? I am the only person experiencing this issue in my house so I dont think it would be a fault in the network but rather in my pc or so. 

It might still be the channel if it's in use somewhere that only affects the part of your room you're using the network in.

One way to confirm is to move your computer close to a computer with no issues and see if you still get issues.

If you do, I'm out of ideas. If you get it working near the other computer, the issue is with the location.

If the issue is the location, it's either bad reception or interference. I guess you'd know if you were too far away from the access point / router so my guess is interference.

You can probably change the channel of your wifi in the router settings. Could help you and not affect anyone else, could help you and make someone elses connection worse. If you want to make sure before doing anything, there's an app for at least android called wifi analyzer that you could use to check what channels are being used in different parts of your house. Overlapping as little as possible is a good goal.

4 minutes ago, U.Ho said:

It might still be the channel if it's in use somewhere that only affects the part of your room you're using the network in.

One way to confirm is to move your computer close to a computer with no issues and see if you still get issues.

If you do, I'm out of ideas. If you get it working near the other computer, the issue is with the location.

If the issue is the location, it's either bad reception or interference. I guess you'd know if you were too far away from the access point / router so my guess is interference.

You can probably change the channel of your wifi in the router settings. Could help you and not affect anyone else, could help you and make someone elses connection worse. If you want to make sure before doing anything, there's an app for at least android called wifi analyzer that you could use to check what channels are being used in different parts of your house. Overlapping as little as possible is a good goal.

@U.Ho unfortunately I tried this today and it didn't change at all, even being in the same room as the router still saw the issue persisting 

4 hours ago, Chace said:

@Freezanator  I just connected it and it stopped spiking , ping is low and consistent

Problem solved. :)

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

3 hours ago, Freezanator said:

Problem solved. :)

@Freezanator hahaha, not really because my router is located in an inconvenient place for me to position my pc with it. check out my neweer post, I have learnt more about my problem and it summaries where im at 

3 hours ago, Chace said:

@U.Ho unfortunately I tried this today and it didn't change at all, even being in the same room as the router still saw the issue persisting 

Well ok. The only place it can possibly point to now is your PC.

It's not the adapter, but the PC itself.

What kind of hardware are you running?

Have you tested another USB port?

Can you see anything pointing to .. well anything in the event viewer logs?

9 hours ago, Chace said:

@Freezanator hahaha, not really because my router is located in an inconvenient place for me to position my pc with it. check out my neweer post, I have learnt more about my problem and it summaries where im at 

I'm sorry but Wifi is just that crappy sometimes. After all, it is a wireless technology. Wifi is not meant for reliability. It's designed for ease of use. Wifi almost always has ping spikes, so unless you use a cable/MoCa/Powerline adapter, you will probably keep seeing the spikes.

My native language is C++

1 hour ago, tt2468 said:

I'm sorry but Wifi is just that crappy sometimes. After all, it is a wireless technology. Wifi is not meant for reliability. It's designed for ease of use. Wifi almost always has ping spikes, so unless you use a cable/MoCa/Powerline adapter, you will probably keep seeing the spikes.

@tt2468 ive been using wifi in this same room with the same privider for 2 years and havn't had any issues, my brothers also use wifi, and have no issues I don't think its a problem with the wifi but some sort of issue with my computer. So its just so unusual. Like I said I can't run ethernet cable into my pc due to routers positioning. I also can't use powerline connection because my router and pc arn't using the same powerline.

8 hours ago, U.Ho said:

Well ok. The only place it can possibly point to now is your PC.

It's not the adapter, but the PC itself.

What kind of hardware are you running?

Have you tested another USB port?

Can you see anything pointing to .. well anything in the event viewer logs?

@U.Ho I'm running windows 10, whats the 'event viewer logs' where can I find this to look at the activity? thanks again. really appreciate all your help!

Also something to be noted is that I have tried using my phone hotspot and the issue still pesists. Before I was able to use my phone hotpot and get good ping around 30ms constantly. Defiantly a problem with my PC 

14 hours ago, Chace said:

@U.Ho I'm running windows 10, whats the 'event viewer logs' where can I find this to look at the activity? thanks again. really appreciate all your help!

Press window key, type event viewer, should show up in the search.

There's a whole bunch of logs in there.