Ruby or Python

So guys i just want some opinions over here, I got into programing just recently and i started off by doing a little bit of ruby, i only now how strings work for now. 

But i read that python is really easy and i dont know if i should stay with Ruby or is Python that easier that i should switch to python. 

Thanks for all the anwsers.

What do you want to do long term?

I know a bit of python, and if you want to, for example,

Find 1000 reviews of italian restaurants in NYC and compare an aggregate of their reviews to spanish restaurants in SFO - Python

Python is great for data mining and analysis

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

16 minutes ago, HelloJack5 said:

So guys i just want some opinions over here, I got into programing just recently and i started off by doing a little bit of ruby, i only now how strings work for now. 

But i read that python is really easy and i dont know if i should stay with Ruby or is Python that easier that i should switch to python. 

Thanks for all the anwsers.

ruby and python are both very similar but I would say that python is arguably more robust and more useful

"I take great pride in my humility" -Me

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1614 ($629 with sales)
  • Games owned: 126
  • Games played: 111 (88%)
  • Hours on record: 3,483.3h

1 minute ago, madknight3 said:

I doesn't really matter. Both are good languages to start with. You could always learn a little of both and then pick which you prefer.

if I recall, ruby tends to integrate better than python in web based applications if you use ruby on rails.

11 minutes ago, paps511 said:

What do you want to do long term?

@DolphinOpsThis is exactly the question that you need to think about. Programming is less about what language but how you solve the problem.

I suggest python as I am unsure if ruby is object ordinated or not.

Learning to write clean and reusable code is much more important than learning a language.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

@DolphinOpsThis is exactly the question that you need to think about. Programming is less about what language but how you solve the problem.

I suggest python as I am unsure if ruby is object ordinated or not.

Learning to write clean and reusable code is much more important than learning a language.

Ruby is in fact object oriented

1 minute ago, DolphinOps said:

Ruby is in fact object oriented

in which case either will do. I believe python is used more than ruby. It isn't that hard to pick up a new language.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, DolphinOps said:

if I recall, ruby tends to integrate better than python in web based applications if you use ruby on rails.

Maybe. Python has some popular web based frameworks as well though. They aren't as popular as Rails, but that doesn't automatically mean Rails is a better framework. It might be, I just don't have the experience to say one way or the other.

Just now, vorticalbox said:

in which case either will do. I believe python is used more than ruby. It isn't that hard to pick up a new language.

As languages go ruby and python are very similar, python seems to be more popular and so there exists a lot of open source assets and framework for it.

Python is the thing that isn't too god in core but you can do lots of stuff with. Ruby is more mature and better in its core.

This is a question asked many times by beginner programmers, if they should focus their efforts on another language in the middle of learning one. It's really a trick question since learning the concepts of computer science isn't about the syntax of your code, but about the concepts you take away with it.

So you can take a peek at both languages, check their documentations and see which one speaks to you more, see which self-learning courses make more sense to you. Then see it through and challenge yourself with projects. These projects don't even need to be anything new. Just program more and more. The rest will come to you, and other languages will be second nature since they all use the same concepts.

TL;DR: Python.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

thanks for all the replies I will take a look at both and decide later.