Is the 240 the best GPU for future proofing?

ThatNewbieDM
Go to solution Solved by Joshua Ondangan,
2 minutes ago, NewbieDM said:

I have a Corsair cx750m 

then everything else seems sweet. I'm sure the rx480 would serve you well unless you totally hit the lottery jackpot and got a doa or something lol. 

overall things should be looking good and you should be able to enjoy the stuff you gonna be doing with it :D

I was considering buying a 480 with the intention of adding an additional one in the future and be able to play VR and 1080-1440 at high settings 60fps. What do yall think any other recommendations. I am kind of looking to get in cheap now and upgrade later. I will have a gtx 760 soon that I will use until I can buy the 480 in jan. 

Edited by NewbieDM

"I fight for the Users" -Tron

| CPU: Core i7-6700K   Motherboard ASUS Z170-A   CPU Cooler: Noctua DH-15 |
| GPU:  Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB ROG STRIX   RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 3000mhz   |  SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500gb m.2 
CasePhanteks enthoo Luxe  |  Display: LG ultrawide ump25 |

Modestly OC'd at 4.5ghz

1 minute ago, NewbieDM said:

I was considering buying a 240 with the intention of adding an additional one in the future adn be able to play VR and 1080-1440 at high settings 60fps. What do yall think any other recommendations. I am kind of looking to get in cheap now and upgrade later. I will have a gtx 760 soon that I will use until I can buy the 240 in jan. 

What is the 240? I never heard of it.

what the hell is a 240?

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

which 240 gpu are you talking about because the only GPU I know that goes under the name 240 is the R7 240 which can barely run Overwatch at 900p at 30fps

Sorry I edited it I meant the 480 lol. I saw that two 480's were comparable to one 1070 or 1080 (depending on the game) and at a much lower cost. Just curious if that is a reasonable decsion or if I should sit on the 760 and just upgrade to a 1070 in 6 months when I can afford it?

| GPU:  Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB ROG STRIX   RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 3000mhz   |  SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500gb m.2 

Modestly OC'd at 4.5ghz

8 minutes ago, NewbieDM said:

Sorry I edited it I meant the 480 lol. I saw that two 480's were comparable to one 1070 or 1080 (depending on the game) and at a much lower cost. Just curious if that is a reasonable decsion or if I should sit on the 760 and just upgrade to a 1070 in 6 months when I can afford it?

I am upgrading to a 480 from a 760 too!! Yes it is a good upgrade

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

>Buys 480

>Saws it in half

>RX 240

480 is basically RX 240 in SLI amirite

14 minutes ago, NewbieDM said:

single fastest card is the true answer here. Yes it is comparable, but not all games take advantage of SLI/X-fire and if they do, often times they are buggy and introduce many more problems... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

should do you fine but majority of people who say they will add another gpu in the end doesn't really add another and just buy a whole new gpu together and say they will add another (well not really but you get my point)

if you will add another 480 make sure it's in the next payday or something because you will "probably not add it in the future" performance wise I think the 480 is pretty good at it's price and depending on where you buy.

Live your life like a dream.

29 minutes ago, NewbieDM said:

I was considering buying a 480 with the intention of adding an additional one in the future and be able to play VR and 1080-1440 at high settings 60fps. What do yall think any other recommendations. I am kind of looking to get in cheap now and upgrade later. I will have a gtx 760 soon that I will use until I can buy the 480 in jan. 

You will have to make sure your motherboard supports crossfire, and that your psu can handle two gpus.

Crossfire has gotten better nearly to 100% scaling for 2 gpus, but not everything supports crossfire, and it still is far from perfect.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

You will have to make sure your motherboard supports crossfire, and that your psu can handle two gpus.

Crossfire has gotten better nearly to 100% scaling for 2 gpus, but not everything supports crossfire, and it still is far from perfect.

I was considering the Asus z170-A mobo which i believe supports it

Modestly OC'd at 4.5ghz

8 minutes ago, NewbieDM said:

I was considering the Asus z170-A mobo which i believe supports it

how about your psu? well normally all should be good with a decent brand and enough headroom but just to let you know like what others have said xfire/sli sometimes doesn't work nicely as a single gpu option.

well overall everything should be good the 480 is a nice card.

1 minute ago, Joshua Ondangan said:

how about your psu? well normally all should be good with a decent brand and enough headroom but just to let you know like what others have said xfire/sli sometimes doesn't work nicely as a single gpu option.

well overall everything should be good the 480 is a nice card.

I have a Corsair cx750m 

Modestly OC'd at 4.5ghz

2 minutes ago, NewbieDM said:

I have a Corsair cx750m 

then everything else seems sweet. I'm sure the rx480 would serve you well unless you totally hit the lottery jackpot and got a doa or something lol. 

overall things should be looking good and you should be able to enjoy the stuff you gonna be doing with it :D