Texture Pop-In in GTA V

ZXL_115

So I recently bought GTA V for PC as I just "built" my PC out of an older OEM Dell. I've tweaked around with the settings, but i still cant get rid of texture pop-ins/stutter. Any ideas on what I can do to improve performance? Here are my specs:

• CPU
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9650
  • Motherboard
    Y958C Dell Motherboard
  • RAM
    5.00 GB DDR2
  • GPU
    Geforce GTX 1050ti (ZOTAC International)
  • Case
    Dell Optiplex 960 MT
  • Storage
    1TB Seagate (Primary) 250GB Seagate (Secondary)
  • PSU
    EVGA 600W Power Supply
  • Display(s)
    16:9 TV (Primary) 4:3 Monitor (Secondary
  • Sound
    SB Live! 24-bit
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64

GTA V is an extremely CPU intensive game and you have an extremely old, outdated CPU. That is likely your issue. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

You really need to update you CPU, as GTA uses a lot of physics and is CPU intensive as well as graphically demanding. So updating your cpu would help you A LOT. 

Installing more RAM may also help. But then again, you are running DDR2. So it may be time to upgrade the mobo, RAM and CPU (Barebone bundles on Newegg is a good place to start).

17 minutes ago, MIXFUSED said:

You really need to update you CPU, as GTA uses a lot of physics and is CPU intensive as well as graphically demanding. So updating your cpu would help you A LOT. 

I totally agree. I did upgrade my CPU from a Core 2 Duo to a quad, but I realized too late how much better a newer i3 would perform. I'm looking into that, and putting my 1050ti into an i3 or i5 mahcine. 

48 minutes ago, Stevers108 said:

Installing more RAM may also help. But then again, you are running DDR2. So it may be time to upgrade the mobo, RAM and CPU (Barebone bundles on Newegg is a good place to start).

Thanks for the suggestion. I have upgraded the ram the extra 1gb, but i only have 512mb ddr2 sticks lying arround and only have one slot left, so idk if 512mb would truly make a difference. :/ 

Edit: I'll install a 512mb stick and see if there is any performance increase. :) 

Update: my DDR2 stick is incompatible. I'll look into a possible memory upgrade.

26 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

GTA V is an extremely CPU intensive game and you have an extremely old, outdated CPU. That is likely your issue. 

As I figured. The upgrade to the quad from the duo was worth it though.

3 hours ago, ZXL_115 said:

I totally agree. I did upgrade my CPU from a Core 2 Duo to a quad, but I realized too late how much better a newer i3 would perform. I'm looking into that, and putting my 1050ti into an i3 or i5 mahcine. 

yeah upgrade to the i3 if you can i5 even better

Keep in mind that I play GTA V on my system in the sig pushing all the physics, AI and draw calls as far as they can go and there are still times that I am CPU limited and my framerate suffers as a result. GTA V can be a huge CPU hog. I note that GTA V was the first game I noticed taking full advantage of all cores and threads on a CPU. My advice is get the best CPU you can afford and if you feel you can wait for Ryzen reviews then do that cause you might get more CPU power for your buck.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Texture pop in is because it takes a lot of time to find the texture in the big data files on the hard drive, extract it out of file, process it to the format expected by the video card and upload it in video card's memory.

You can reduce the amount of time the game needs to seek the file on hard drive and put it in memory by defragmenting the hard drive, making sure the game is towards the beginning of the hard drive and in continuous files (not fragmented in lots of tiny segments).  But that only does so much. You would gain much much more by placing the game on a SSD.

The texture once read from those files needs to be loaded in RAM .. if you have little amount of memory, the game has to drop older textures or game data from memory to make room for the new textures so when you go back in game where you once were before the game has to re-load the textures that were dropped to make room for the new ones. Adding more memory would help a bit, but not by a lot.

Last, you could tweak the graphics settings so that the game won't use a lot of VRAM, make it use at most around 75-80% of video card's memory size.. for example if your video card has 2 GB of memory play with the graphics settings until you get your max vram usage to around 1.5-1.75 GB of memory, leaving room to import textures without having to drop textures from video card right away (causing micro stutters).

so in order of improvements you're looking at (most improvement for smallest investment) :   move game from hdd to ssd  > move to better cpu + ddr3/4 + mobo combo  > video card graphical settings > more memory

10 hours ago, mariushm said:

Last, you could tweak the graphics settings so that the game won't use a lot of VRAM, make it use at most around 75-80% of video card's memory size.. for example if your video card has 2 GB of memory play with the graphics settings until you get your max vram usage to around 1.5-1.75 GB of memory, leaving room to import textures without having to drop textures from video card right away (causing micro stutters).

So I should try bumping down the settings?

I also want to state that i saw someone run a 1050ti with a q6600 on youtube. I'll link the vid below.

GTA V runs fine with this setup.