Best X99 mobo for gaming

Simple enough: I like the prospect of getting x99 for future proofing my system rather than z170, I'm afraid if I buy a 6700k, I'm gonna get screwed if games start preferring and being optimized for more cores. I'm gonna pair with a 6800k. I'm looking for a mobo that can overclock the 6800k without hesitation, but also only give me the features that are beneficial to gaming. Is there a board around $200-$250 that would suit these needs? I also have the privilege of being located close to a microcenter.

Budget friendly: ASRock x99 Extreme and whatever the number after that

if you live near a microcenter, do what I did

go there and look at the open box X99 boards

I scored an X99 pro with all accessories still sealed for 117.97 after a $50 MIR and 30 dollars off for purchasing with a 6800k.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

2 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

Simple enough: I like the prospect of getting x99 for future proofing my system rather than z170, I'm afraid if I buy a 6700k, I'm gonna get screwed if games start preferring and being optimized for more cores. I'm gonna pair with a 6800k. I'm looking for a mobo that can overclock the 6800k without hesitation, but also only give me the features that are beneficial to gaming. Is there a board around $200-$250 that would suit these needs? I also have the privilege of being located close to a microcenter.

I like the MSI X99A SLI Krait.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

As a programmer with plenty of friends in the game industry, multithreading games is hard and I mean really hard.  I don't expect games to utilize more than 4 cores for a good long while.  Even on the other hand if they could, they have to realize the hardware their target audience is using... until Intel decides to bring >4 core systems to mainstream I wouldn't worry about it.  That said x99 is a great platform and has excellent uses, just make sure you aim for high clock frequencies.

If you are still set on getting an x99 system, I've heard great things about the ASRock x99 Taichi.  Personally I'm a sucker for mini-itx now and would love to get my hands on the x99 mini itx board and try some pcie bifurcation.

49 minutes ago, Arkratos said:

As a programmer with plenty of friends in the game industry, multithreading games is hard and I mean really hard.  I don't expect games to utilize more than 4 cores for a good long while.  Even on the other hand if they could, they have to realize the hardware their target audience is using... until Intel decides to bring >4 core systems to mainstream I wouldn't worry about it.  That said x99 is a great platform and has excellent uses, just make sure you aim for high clock frequencies.

If you are still set on getting an x99 system, I've heard great things about the ASRock x99 Taichi.  Personally I'm a sucker for mini-itx now and would love to get my hands on the x99 mini itx board and try some pcie bifurcation.

While I agree with you by the simple fact that you do know what you are talking about and you are more experienced in this field, I'm still cautious because I was unfortunate enough to buy an i5 4690k under the impression that it would be "all I need for gaming" for years, however it is already bottlenecking my 1070 pretty hard in some CPU intensive titles like witcher 3 and bf4. Needless to say, I don't want a 6700k to do the same in 1-2 years. However, you are probably right that I'm better off with z170. 

Edit: interesting enough, I just found out that my parents bought me a 6700k. xD Totally unexpected.

Edited by Thelillypad123

18 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Budget friendly: ASRock x99 Extreme and whatever the number after that

Budget friendly, but can they overclock a 6800k to where it can get close to skylakes clockspeeds?

17 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

if you live near a microcenter, do what I did

go there and look at the open box X99 boards

I scored an X99 pro with all accessories still sealed for 117.97 after a $50 MIR and 30 dollars off for purchasing with a 6800k.

That's one heck of a good deal. The problem is is I live about an hour away and I don't know how reliable their open box stuff is. Have you had more than one experience with it?

17 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I like the MSI X99A SLI Krait.

That color scheme is downright sexy. Also, looks like a pretty good value for the $$, however no debug light is a bit disappointing seeing as I feel I would freak out if it didn't post for some other component haha.

Just now, Thelillypad123 said:

Budget friendly, but can they overclock a 6800k to where it can get close to skylakes clockspeeds?

That's one heck of a good deal. The problem is is I live about an hour away and I don't know how reliable their open box stuff is. Have you had more than one experience with it?

That color scheme is downright sexy. Also, looks like a pretty good value for the $$, however no debug light is a bit disappointing seeing as I feel I would freak out if it didn't post for some other component haha.

I've purchased 2 motherboards and one graphics card open box from them

all of them worked fully. The GPU was missing a few accessories, but it was simple stuff like molex cables (who uses these for a 980ti?)

it's kind of funny, because I bought two new motherboards from them, and both had issues, but the open box stuff was fine.

I'd suggest checking the microcenter website for open box stuff at your store before you head out, so you know what the prices are

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

4 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

I've purchased 2 motherboards and one graphics card open box from them

all of them worked fully. The GPU was missing a few accessories, but it was simple stuff like molex cables (who uses these for a 980ti?)

it's kind of funny, because I bought two new motherboards from them, and both had issues, but the open box stuff was fine.

I'd suggest checking the microcenter website for open box stuff at your store before you head out, so you know what the prices are

Thanks for the info. I definitely see some wicked good prices on the open box stuff, which leads me to believe they are pretty empty boxes haha.