Safety Glass

Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

Make it as thick as as you're comfortable with. 8-10 mm or so. I think normal coffee tables are like 6mm but since you're having it custom-made, why not get the best you can. Sooner or later you'll bang a coffee cup on it wrong and you'll be happy that it can take the punishment. Thicker glass will absorb more impacts but it gets heavy fast so it's kind of a trade-off. No need for laminated glass for this unless you intend to smash your face into it. But definitely toughened. Normal glass kills, toughened itches.

Hi,

I have a question: When building a desk pc you normally use a piece of glass,

What thickness should the glass be.

Other than that I know that I should use safety glass, but should it be thoughened / laminater or both

I hope someone will know the answer,

Zwamdurkel

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600, MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero, RAM: Kingston 2×8GB, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB, Storage: Samsung PM981 1TB

I would say the thickness they use on glass coffee tables

Just make sure the PC is over one or more of the legs, so less strain is on the glass

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Make it as thick as as you're comfortable with. 8-10 mm or so. I think normal coffee tables are like 6mm but since you're having it custom-made, why not get the best you can. Sooner or later you'll bang a coffee cup on it wrong and you'll be happy that it can take the punishment. Thicker glass will absorb more impacts but it gets heavy fast so it's kind of a trade-off. No need for laminated glass for this unless you intend to smash your face into it. But definitely toughened. Normal glass kills, toughened itches.

LOL: 'smash your face into it'.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go for 8 mm since it's cheaper.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600, MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero, RAM: Kingston 2×8GB, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB, Storage: Samsung PM981 1TB

Isn't safety glass the glass that shatters into thousands of pieces when it collides with something? I wouldn't use that. haha

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD