ASUS 7970 MATRIX Platinum vs 280x

TheRoss0411

Title says it all, which one should i get ?

Thanks

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

you sir have seen the same deal as i have...im about to proccess my payment =D also they are effectively the same thing....

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

Whichever is cheaper. They are the same thing.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

Get the sapphire 280X Toxic edition.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

Thanks

did you end up buying the platinum.....mines arriving tommrorow.... =D

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

did you end up buying the platinum.....mines arriving tommrorow.... =D

-Anubikai

I don't think i am going to buy mine until nearer the build time, around christmas time.

Once you have installed your card, could you tell me how you like it ?

I don't think i am going to buy mine until nearer the build time, around christmas time.

Once you have installed your card, could you tell me how you like it ?

yup, i should have it tomorrow gonna install it in the afternoon....i decided against cf'iring this build.....even though my mobo will handle two of these my psu might not even though i have 4 8pins. But ill be making a pr0n thread on the card with a mini review......

-Anubikai

yup, i should have it tomorrow gonna install it in the afternoon....i decided against cf'iring this build.....even though my mobo will handle two of these my psu might not even though i have 4 8pins. But ill be making a pr0n thread on the card with a mini review......

-Anubikai

Cant wait :)

Yes, the Matrix would be a better choice ,but also don't forget about the Matrix for the R9 280x or Sappire Toxic 280x.

--Both amazing cards but if $20-$50 dosnt make a difference I would go for the Toxic.

---Note case size and power supply! 

----Power supply should at least be 700w to 750w

-----http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Express-11221-01-40G/dp/B00FLMKR78/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383238847&sr=8-2&keywords=r9+280x+toxic

Yes, the Matrix would be a better choice ,but also don't forget about the Matrix for the R9 280x or Sappire Toxic 280x.

--Both amazing cards but if $20-$50 dosnt make a difference I would go for the Toxic.

---Note case size and power supply! 

----Power supply should at least be 700w to 750w

-----http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Express-11221-01-40G/dp/B00FLMKR78/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383238847&sr=8-2&keywords=r9+280x+toxic

r9 280x toxic - £268

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-sapphire-radeon-r9-280x-toxic-28nm-6400mhz-gddr5-gpu-1100mhz-boost-1150mhz-2048-streams-dvi-hdmi

7970 matrix - £240

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-asus-radeon-hd-7970-matrix-platinum-6600mhz-gddr5-28nm-gpu-1050mhz-2048cores-4xdp-2xdl-dvi-plusf

Matrix is better than the toxic......toxic only has size on its side. But if his case and mobo have enough space then the matrix make more sense....also hes still planning his build so he can account for the power

-Anubikai

Thanks

Cant wait :)

DAT MATRIX!!! - It came in the post today....so nice =P

DSC_0105.jpg

-Aubikai

DAT MATRIX!!! - It came in the post today....so nice =P

-Aubikai

Is it good ?

Now post some OC results please :)

Mine starts to get all funny after 1200 MHz.

144Hz goodness

Is it good ?

oh my god its so sexy......makes my pc just so much better. My old msi 7950 tf3 looks like crap compared to this =D my 7950 ran at 65 idle and 85 load, this is 30 idle and 65 load but fans only ramp to 30%....im sure i can get it down to like 55 if i put them to 50%....i start to hear them at 65+%......it is really really really nice. Its out of stock on sdcan now. Im expecting it to be a high price again.

-Anubikai

Just get the regular Matrix; Matrix Platinum isn't really worth it unless you're a money-is-no-object kind of consumer. Essentially still playing the silicon lottery (in the end, go with whatever you can fit in your budget / is cheaper depending on how much you're willing to let go).

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Just get the regular Matrix; Matrix Platinum isn't really worth it unless you're a money-is-no-object kind of consumer. Essentially still playing the silicon lottery (in the end, go with whatever you can fit in your budget / is cheaper depending on how much you're willing to let go).

The Platinum cores are cherry picked and should give you an extra 50-100 MHz on air.

144Hz goodness

The Platinum cores are cherry picked and should give you an extra 50-100 MHz on air.

the matrix standard wasnt in stock and the matrix platinum i got was on sale cheaper than every msi r9 280x other than the msi. SO i saved money buying this card. Im not gonna cf it so three slots isnt an issue.... =)

-Anubikai

I just ordered a Matrix Platinum at the shop I bought my Matrix from for the same price and I'll be so happy when it arrives monday or tuesday!!!!

OP: Have you some sort of benchmark results? Or maximum stable core clock?

I hope I can get my hands on a Matrix Crossfire Setup some months down the road, who knows. 

144Hz goodness

I just ordered a Matrix Platinum at the shop I bought my Matrix from for the same price and I'll be so happy when it arrives monday or tuesday!!!!

OP: Have you some sort of benchmark results? Or maximum stable core clock?

I hope I can get my hands on a Matrix Crossfire Setup some months down the road, who knows. 

op doiesnt have the card yet, but i got mine yesterday and ive been able to just move the slider to 1250mhz on stock voltage settings and it runs fine...maxes out at 71 degrees under furmark at that setting so im guessing with some more voltage i can easily get 1300 prob even 1400 if ive won the lottery. havent pushed memory up yet, dont need to....6600mhz is more than enough, 316gb/s.... The card itself looks sooooooo good....how much did yours cost?

-Anubikai

op doiesnt have the card yet, but i got mine yesterday and ive been able to just move the slider to 1250mhz on stock voltage settings and it runs fine...maxes out at 71 degrees under furmark at that setting so im guessing with some more voltage i can easily get 1300 prob even 1400 if ive won the lottery. The card itself looks sooooooo good....how much did yours cost?

-Anubikai

1250... damn, I'm jealous.

It looks very pretty and only cost 315€ (like $315), 50 less than a 280x platinum.

Sorry, I somehow mixed you up with him. 

144Hz goodness

1250... damn, I'm jealous.

It looks very pretty and only cost 315€ (like $315), 50 less than a 280x platinum.

Sorry, I somehow mixed you up with him. 

oh nice, mine cost £240 which is $386......gpus always cost more in the uk but this was cheaper than every single 280x except the msi version. Still im really happy with this card, never letting it go.....

-Anubikai