Gigabite 1050ti g1 gaming worth oc

kayotics

Hey guys I got a brand new gigabyte gtx 1050ti g1 gaming edition and was wondering if it was worth it to overclock the card past it's oc mode clock. I only plan to play just cause 3, rocketleauge, fallout 4 and other games on two 1440-900 resolution monitors.

If you find the performance at the clock speed the card came with fine for you then no not really.  I overclocked my 1070 but I play at 1080p and have v-sync on so it didn't really change anything.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

yeah. do it. there is no downside unless you overvolt over the maximum by flashing a modified BIOS

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

If you find the performance at the clock speed the card came with fine for you then no not really.  I overclocked my 1070 but I play at 1080p and have v-sync on so it didn't really change anything.

Ok.. like I have just gotten into over clocking because of my ole ati Radeon HD 4890 coming to the end of it's life. So I wanted to squeeze the performance I could get out of it.

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

yeah. do it. there is no downside unless you overvolt over the maximum by flashing a modified BIOS

I have enough watts for it I have a thermaltake 600w psu 80+ that came with my case.

Just now, kayotics said:

I have enough watts for it I have a thermaltake 600w psu 80+ that came with my case.

yeah, but your GPU can only accept 75, so that's a moot point.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

i got a Zotac gxt1050ti oc yesterday and running the same res as you but only one monitor. its running comfy at 1860MHz which is 354 MHz over Zotacs listed boost clock, i tried to OC one time on it tonight and it went all goofy and decided it now had the clocks of my GT610 which was previously in my system, a reinstall of drivers fixed it but at that much overboost on its own i think im just happy with it where it is, curious as to how yours reacts to OCing if you decide so 

21 minutes ago, jonnylaw13 said:

i got a Zotac gxt1050ti oc yesterday and running the same res as you but only one monitor. its running comfy at 1860MHz which is 354 MHz over Zotacs listed boost clock, i tried to OC one time on it tonight and it went all goofy and decided it now had the clocks of my GT610 which was previously in my system, a reinstall of drivers fixed it but at that much overboost on its own i think im just happy with it where it is, curious as to how yours reacts to OCing if you decide so 

So do you think I should overclock my gpu to the 1860mhz?

17 minutes ago, kayotics said:

yes

Desktop:

Laptop:

10 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

yes

Ok but unlike your build I only have a i3 6100 with. 8gb of crucial 2133mhz ram on a gigabyte h110-H mobo, that should be fine right?

2 hours ago, kayotics said:

Ok but unlike your build I only have a i3 6100 with. 8gb of crucial 2133mhz ram on a gigabyte h110-H mobo, that should be fine right?

yes

Desktop:

Laptop:

42 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

yes

Ok cool thanks for the help I greatly appreciate it. :)

Kayotics.

If it was me I'd be trying over 2GHz. Your card's default power limit is 120W which can be pushed to 150W. Don't forget memory too but be careful of temps.

AWOL

6 minutes ago, X_X said:

If it was me I'd be trying over 2GHz. Your card's default power limit is 120W which can be pushed to 150W. Don't forget memory too but be careful of temps.

Yep I sure will thanks for the tips but what is a good strategy to safely overclock

10 hours ago, kayotics said:

I was fiddling with mine and all the way to crash at 1923 adjusting didn't make a dang bit of difference as the boost is nuts on mine

6 hours ago, jonnylaw13 said:

I was fiddling with mine and all the way to crash at 1923 adjusting didn't make a dang bit of difference as the boost is nuts on mine

So what is the highest stable speed?

18 hours ago, jonnylaw13 said:

I will definitely tell you how mine goes and how loud did yours get? 

1 minute ago, kayotics said:

So what is the highest stable speed?

Heaven says the clock is 2012 but the highest I've seen it spike under boost without crashing is 1911. But it's all boost for me above 1392. 1860 Is where the boost settles at in Vally. My boost isn't an option like your "oc modes" mine is also PCIe power only So I can't adjust the voltage. Jayztwocents has a video on over clocking pascal cards. It's for the 60/70/80/titan but I don't think the 50/50ti were out yet. I think it's called "ultimate overclocking guide for pascal" he also has a video to show you how to fix a jacked up gpu oc if you're timid about trying it. I'd say watch them both then have fun pushing your reset button. Once were both a little more familiar we should check back and see who's pumping the higher stable OC. I went with the zotac oc cause it has the same base and boost as the strix for $20 less but it's apparent zotac is either lying about there boost or I won the silicon lottery

13 minutes ago, kayotics said:

I will definitely tell you how mine goes and how loud did yours get? 

didn't see this one right away, It's only got 2 70mm fans (card is hilariously tiny for the power) fans have yet to go over 45% and over 2 120s a 140 running 100% I can't hear the card at all 47°c is max temp under load so far.

14 minutes ago, jonnylaw13 said:

didn't see this one right away, It's only got 2 70mm fans (card is hilariously tiny for the power) fans have yet to go over 45% and over 2 120s a 140 running 100% I can't hear the card at all 47°c is max temp under load so far.

Ok so I am guessing

18 minutes ago, jonnylaw13 said:

Heaven says the clock is 2012 but the highest I've seen it spike under boost without crashing is 1911. But it's all boost for me above 1392. 1860 Is where the boost settles at in Vally. My boost isn't an option like your "oc modes" mine is also PCIe power only So I can't adjust the voltage. Jayztwocents has a video on over clocking pascal cards. It's for the 60/70/80/titan but I don't think the 50/50ti were out yet. I think it's called "ultimate overclocking guide for pascal" he also has a video to show you how to fix a jacked up gpu oc if you're timid about trying it. I'd say watch them both then have fun pushing your reset button. Once were both a little more familiar we should check back and see who's pumping the higher stable OC. I went with the zotac oc cause it has the same base and boost as the strix for $20 less but it's apparent zotac is either lying about there boost or I won the silicon lottery

Lol yeah I hope I have too because I win the silicon lottery with my older card with a blower style fan only getting 60 celcius under load and overclocked to 856mhz which is alotbfor that card.

1 minute ago, kayotics said:

Ok so I am guessing

Lol yeah I hope I have too because I win the silicon lottery with my older card with a blower style fan only getting 60 celcius under load and overclocked to 856mhz which is alotbfor that card.

well heres a newegg comparison by the numbers

Capture3.PNG

with tinkering it looks like my boost is just going to max, on heaven set to extreme im sitting boosted between 1779-1810, it looks like you have 6pin power so id say start at aiming for like 1750 then inching your way up from there 

39 minutes ago, jonnylaw13 said:

with tinkering it looks like my boost is just going to max, on heaven set to extreme im sitting boosted between 1779-1810, it looks like you have 6pin power so id say start at aiming for like 1750 then inching your way up from there 

Ok cool thanks. For all your help. :)

Just now, kayotics said:

Ok cool thanks. For all your help. :)

i think id call it blind leading the blind lol

18 hours ago, kayotics said:

Yep I sure will thanks for the tips but what is a good strategy to safely overclock

Define safe?

Safe can be not overclocking at all because you may void your warranty and the card may fail regardless. General rule of thumb, if you cannot afford to lose it don't OC.

The older drivers limit overclocking to 1911Mhz and mem to 4004MHz so IMO you'd be pretty safe OC wise with those but also depends on the card build.

Newer drivers remove the limit if you want to try higher. GPU clock seems very temperature sensitive so might not get a whole lot out of it. Memory clock might be more risky for high clocks as temperatures could possible get too high.

AWOL