WHICH CPU TO BUY

i am about to get a Intel processor. i need a fast one, budget and no hyper threading. ( i was thinking about i5 ).. should i wait till 7gen or 6th gen is ok ?.

-i am Linux user.

If you want to overclock 6600k, if not get the 6500

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

If you need more m.2 storage than what current motherboards support, or more add-in cards then wait for 7th gen and z270 boards with the extra 4 lanes.

If not just grab 6th gen. The performance Delta between them is nothing special.

2 hours ago, Pudgestool said:

i am about to get a Intel processor. i need a fast one, budget and no hyper threading. ( i was thinking about i5 ).. should i wait till 7gen or 6th gen is ok ?.

-i am Linux user.

No, Kaby-Lake is no faster than Skylake, but I would still wait till January, since Skylake prices will drop. Or you could pick up zen.

If you're on a budget, you might want to wait for Zen, or at least the announcement coming up soon.  That is unless you already have the motherboard.

1 hour ago, FTL said:

No, Kaby-Lake is no faster than Skylake, but I would still wait till January, since Skylake prices will drop. Or you could pick up zen.

Kaby Lake is about 5% faster out of box than Skylake... And has extra overclock headroom... It's not faster clock for clock, but it *is* faster.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Kaby Lake is about 5% faster out of box than Skylake... And has extra overclock headroom... It's not faster clock for clock, but it *is* faster.

I was referring to real world experience, I know that Kaby-Lake is a bit faster theoreticaly, but you won't notice ANY real world difference.