Phase Two Upgrade Planning - Headphone/Headset Choices

Aereto_Compuru

With the system all built up, the planning for upgrades has begun. The workstation card is already planned, as does the rest of the remaining add-on card slots. Few things remain that I am on the fence with, and that is the use of headphones and microphones.

The system details is linked here:

Before I get some input on what to pick, I am going to lay out some grounded criteria when it comes to weeding out headphones/headsets that are likely give me headaches post-purchase, figuratively and literally:

Spoiler
  1. PC Only - I am making a clear divide between headphones I use for other devices, and headphones that are meant to stay on the PC. I've had a Sennheiser headphones bought from the pay as an election judge many years ago, but didn't last 2 years when the plug failed. I can just fix it, but I'll need time and tools (which I have neither right now).
  2. USB Only - You heard me right, only a USB plug. I am only using them on the PC, and I'll need that 7.1 surround due to the PC's expected purpose as a multi-purpose gaming and developer PC. The motherboard has a dedicated pair of USB lines for DACs to minimize power fluctuations, so I'll make the best of it.
  3. Highest Audio Quality - audio priority
  4. Highest Microphone Quality - optional for headphones, a must for headset or separate USB microphone
  5. Intended for longest possible continuous use - over 8 hours - comfort priority
  6. Circumaural - Must be Over-Ear, not On-Ear - I've kept my old Sennheiser headphones for a reason; even though the 3.5 plug isn't working anymore, it beats all of my owned headphones/headsets because I can wear it for 8+ hours and not feel pain from it, thanks to its circumaural ear cushions that do not push against my ears. Its closed ear design had me improvising it as earmuffs for winter climates, but that's beside the point. My current headset that I got from Christmas a year ago is okay, but the on-ear design makes it uncomfortable past 3-4 hours.
  7. Cost-effective (<$100-$200) if short term purchase - Pretty much why I didn't go buy those audiophile headphones, despite needing studio-grade hearing and comfort. If the price is equal or higher than my planned workstation card (AMD Radeon Pro WX5100), I know I'm not financially responsible. I'll take advantage of major sales when opportunity arises; I work part-time at 9 USD per hour at the time of this post, on top of my college classes.
  8. Durable, Reliable, and Consistent Quality - Practically why I didn't go and buy a Sades headset; there have been notable complaints of having a poor-quality headset unlike other satisfied buyers, where they just start to fall apart after some months of use. I need headset or headphones with manufacturing standards, which China-based manufacturers has been notoriously lacking compared to Taiwan counterparts, who are more decent in quality control.

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Budget

Must have slipped the details. No higher than $50-200 on the 6-month period, increase to <$400 between 1 to 2 years, anything goes after 2 years.

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

1 minute ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

Must have slipped the details. No higher than $50-200 on the 6-month period, increase to <$400 between 1 to 2 years, anything goes after 2 years.

Eh

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

Eh

I suppose I should elaborate a bit more. My funds are ultra-tight since I recently had my new PC built with plans for upgrades. I've placed a spending restriction for 6 months to allow my savings to recover, while I'm looking for a better-paying job through my job search or my college's influence to IT companies.

Once the finances get to be a bit more stable that may start a year later, I'll raise the spending cap for the headphones up to $400 (equivalent of graphics cards).

Once I graduate after 2 years and get a job appropriate to my degree, all limits are off and ready to make new financial plans.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

I suppose I should elaborate a bit more. My funds are ultra-tight since I recently had my new PC built with plans for upgrades. I've placed a spending restriction for 6 months to allow my savings to recover, while I'm looking for a better-paying job through my job search or my college's influence to IT companies.

Once the finances get to be a bit more stable that may start a year later, I'll raise the spending cap for the headphones up to $400 (equivalent of graphics cards).

Once I graduate after 2 years and get a job appropriate to my degree, all limits are off and ready to make new financial plans.

I would reccomend a game one now and get bettter headphones later

My life

You can get "highest audio quality" or USB 7.1 "surround". Not both.

21 hours ago, SSL said:

You can get "highest audio quality" or USB 7.1 "surround". Not both.

My week of research had the same conclusion. My PC design is intended to draw out its developer-grade capabilities when I have the preparations, at which that would include music composition (audio quality) and game development (surround sound) as part of the process.

21 hours ago, Himommies said:

I would reccomend a game one now and get bettter headphones later

I suppose I have no escape having a 7.1 USB headset for 3D game development testing and a separate studio headphones for music composition and audio quality checks.

Of course, even if I have two separate and dedicated headphones, both are subject to consistency in quality and rigorous durability. Buying a replacement within 3 years due to faulty equipment or normal wear is considered a project failure due to cost control breach.

It was fortunate that the case allows a front 3.5mm headset port pair rather than using the rear.

I've had a bit too much information gathering to adequately provide acceptable solutions to this planning.

Spoiler