Can I install Windows 7 with a different licence key, and then use my Windows 10 key if I want to go back to 10

bugs399
Go to solution Solved by TAHIRMIA,
1 minute ago, bugs399 said:

But isn't the key tied to the mobo?

Only for W10 or 8 so if you use W7 you should be fine

Can I keep my OEM Windows key (from kinguin) if I install 7 and want to go back?

Why not buy another hard drive? Or USB...

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

1 minute ago, LukeS said:

Why not buy another hard drive? Or USB...

That's not his question. He wants to know if he can use his 1 license key for 2 computers. 

10 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

Can I keep my OEM Windows key (from kinguin) if I install 7 and want to go back?

YES

Hello

16 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

YES

21 minutes ago, fpo said:

That's not his question. He wants to know if he can use his 1 license key for 2 computers. 

No it's not. I want to put 7 on the same PC, and still be able to use my 10 key on the same PC. Thanks for trying to help out though.

Hello

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

Oh, so with 7 it won't overwrite my key already there?

2 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

No it's not. I want to put 7 on the same PC, and still be able to use my 10 key on the same PC. Thanks for trying to help out though.

Okay so you want to dual boot. 
The term is called dual booting when you have 2 OS on one hdd. 

i don't think you can use 1 key for 2 copies of windows, unless you find some workaround or a potentially illegal crack, but I don't think that's something I can help you with. 

Just now, fpo said:

i don't think you can use 1 key for 2 copies of windows, unless you find some workaround or a potentially illegal crack, but I don't think that's something I can help you with. 

No, I want to replace 10 with 7 and want to know if I can go back. I know I was kind of a little vague but I couldn't think of anything better. I have Debian on one HDD, I just want to know if I won't lose my key.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

And this is why I said use 2 HDDs...

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

2 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

No, I want to replace 10 with 7 and want to know if I can go back. I know I was kind of a little vague but I couldn't think of anything better. I have Debian on one HDD, I just want to know if I won't lose my key.

You could always do a clean install of windows 7 over your windows 10 and use the same key but then you would have to do another clean install when going back

Hello

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

You could always do a clean install of windows 7 over your windows 10 and use the same key

I marked your first response as the answer. Thanks for the help!

Oh. I think you only have 30 days to roll back to windows 7. Otherwise it may be more complex. 
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/1235b5b0-bf94-4b77-9cbd-1c1a8337070c/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-8.1

1 minute ago, LukeS said:

And this is why I said use 2 HDDs...

sorry about that. 

Just now, fpo said:

Oh. I think you only have 30 days to roll back to windows 7. Otherwise it may be more complex. 
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/1235b5b0-bf94-4b77-9cbd-1c1a8337070c/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-8.1

sorry about that. 

I don't really care about clean installing. I want to clean install 7 over 10 and want to know if my 10 key will still be valid after. I marked @TAHIRMIA's response as the answer. Thanks for the help!