Is it normal that VSYNC causes minor stutter once in a while?

TrickyWitcher

Before we start, I have a 6700K and a 1080.

If I don't use VSYNC with my games, they usually tear quite a bit, and just feel choppy in general. If I do use VSYNC, it does smooth it out, but the smallest frame drops from 60FPS (59.7, 58, etc) feel like stutters to me.

Without VSYNC I'd be getting 100+FPS in most areas in Witcher 3, but with it, those random minor frame drops feel like stutters. Is adaptivesync technology the solution? Also, is behaviour like this normal with games you use VSYNC on?

I've been through three CPUs, four motherboards, 5 GPUs, in fact, I've replaced all my components at least once, save for my 1080p60 monitor...

V-Sync is just terrible, like really bad, so just try cranking the settings untill you dont get 100+ fps and crank resolution too, play at 4K or something in less demanding titles and limit FPS if its really a problem

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, TrickyWitcher said:

Before we start, I have a 6700K and a 1080.

If I don't use VSYNC with my games, they usually tear quite a bit, and just feel choppy in general. If I do use VSYNC, it does smooth it out, but the smallest frame drops from 60FPS (59.7, 58, etc) feel like stutters to me.

Without VSYNC I'd be getting 100+FPS in most areas in Witcher 3, but with it, those random minor frame drops feel like stutters. Is adaptivesync technology the solution? Also, is behaviour like this normal with games you use VSYNC on?

I've been through three CPUs, four motherboards, 5 GPUs, in fact, I've replaced all my components at least once, save for my 1080p60 monitor...

yes, you will feel "aberrations" should you drop below 60fps at any point. Yes, adaptive refresh rate would alleviate these types of issues. 

I run vsync on everything, and I don't experience any issues because I have a 1080p 60Hz panel and 2 GTX 980s.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

V-Sync is just terrible, like really bad, so just try cranking the settings untill you dont get 100+ fps and crank resolution too, play at 4K or something in less demanding titles and limit FPS if its really a problem

vsync is essentially that, limiting FPS. just with "less wiggle room" for dipping below.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

V-Sync drops your frame-rate down to whatever is easiest for your monitor to handle. If a frame is at 30hz timing, V-Sync will push out 30hz until the frames become higher. So on, so forth for the rest of the limits at 60, 75, etc.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

27 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes, if the game can't sustain 60FPS you might want to look into Adaptive VSync

33 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

yes, you will feel "aberrations" should you drop below 60fps at any point. Yes, adaptive refresh rate would alleviate these types of issues. 

I run vsync on everything, and I don't experience any issues because I have a 1080p 60Hz panel and 2 GTX 980s.

I have a 1080 and a 6700K... I should be able to hold well over 60FPS in games like Witcher 3, even with VSYNC. Are tiny little frame drops like 59.7, etc. unavoidable with VSYNC?

1 minute ago, TrickyWitcher said:

I have a 1080 and a 6700K... I should be able to hold well over 60FPS in games like Witcher 3, even with VSYNC. Are tiny little frame drops like 59.7, etc. unavoidable with VSYNC?

Yes. They are unavoidable. I have dips to 59 all the time. But I don't get any stutter or tearing from them. It's just a numerical thing, doesn't impact the visuals at all. If your games allow frame rate capping, try that. 

Also I do advise with a ballin setup like yours to get a gsync monitor, it is well worth it. I myself plan to get a 144hz 1440p panel once I can afford it. 

4 minutes ago, TrickyWitcher said:

Are tiny little frame drops like 59.7, etc. unavoidable with VSYNC?

nope

any drop from 60FPS with VSync will force the monitor from 60Hz to 30HZ refresh rate

Adaptive VSync will disable VSync if it detects a FPS drop, this will not have the effect of monitor switching to 30Hz, but can cause tearing

other alternative is to lock framerate to 59FPS (with Riva Tuner) and disable VSync - may cause tearing

Just now, tarfeef101 said:

Yes. They are unavoidable. I have dips to 59 all the time. But I don't get any stutter or tearing from them. It's just a numerical thing, doesn't impact the visuals at all. If your games allow frame rate capping, try that. 

Also I do advise with a ballin setup like yours to get a gsync monitor, it is well worth it. I myself plan to get a 144hz 1440p panel once I can afford it. 

Well, I get 59 as well, just 59.9, and anything below feels like a minor stutter when it does happen. 

And yeah, that's why I'm asking if minor stutters here and there (not frequent, just happen once in a while), are normal with just VSYNC.

I'll be getting an Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz GSYNC monitor soon.

Just now, TrickyWitcher said:

Well, I get 59 as well, just 59.9, and anything below feels like a minor stutter when it does happen. 

And yeah, that's why I'm asking if minor stutters here and there (not frequent, just happen once in a while), are normal with just VSYNC.

I'll be getting an Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz GSYNC monitor soon.

Well, I am certainly envious. Can't wait for my next coop term (i'm still in university) so I can get myself a new monitor. 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

nope

any drop from 60FPS with VSync will force the monitor from 60Hz to 30HZ refresh rate

Adaptive VSync will disable VSync if it detects a FPS drop, this will not have the effect of monitor switching to 30Hz, but can cause tearing

other alternative is to lock framerate to 59FPS and disable VSync - may cause tearing

I get tearing without VSYNC no matter what I do. RTSS limit to 60? 59? 61? Nope. Still tears and feels somewhat choppy. In-game limit? Nope. My only solution is VSYNC. Guess its time to give in to NVIDIA and get GSYNC.

Just now, tarfeef101 said:

Well, I am certainly envious. Can't wait for my next coop term (i'm still in university) so I can get myself a new monitor. 

Well, as long as behaviour like this is normal with VSYNC, I guess I have nothing to worry about. I just thought this was a hardware issue. All benchmarks check out too. Heaven, Valley, Firestrike, etc.

2 minutes ago, TrickyWitcher said:

I get tearing without VSYNC no matter what I do. RTSS limit to 60? 59? 61? Nope. Still tears and feels somewhat choppy. In-game limit? Nope. My only solution is VSYNC. Guess its time to give in to NVIDIA and get GSYNC.

or drop some quality settings in teh game

Just now, zMeul said:

or drop some quality settings in teh game

I have a 1080, why in the hell would I do that? I got this to max out any game at a constant 60FPS.

1 minute ago, TrickyWitcher said:

I have a 1080, why in the hell would I do that? I got this to max out any game at a constant 60FPS.

Can you try DSR and let me know what happens?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

but you are not getting that, so:

• get a Titan X
  • get a GSync monitor
  • live with tearing
  • live with suttering
  • lower some setting(s)

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Can you try DSR and let me know what happens?

Well, the stutters aren't exactly reproduceable at will. They just happen here and there.

Just now, zMeul said:

• get a Titan X
  • get a GSync monitor
  • live with tearing
  • live with suttering
  • lower some setting(s)

51 minutes ago, TrickyWitcher said:

Without VSYNC I'd be getting 100+FPS in most areas in Witcher 3,

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

• get a Titan X
  • get a GSync monitor
  • live with tearing
  • live with suttering
  • lower some setting(s)

I'll just give in to NVIDIA and get a GSYNC monitor. As long as this behaviour is normal with VSYNC, I'm not really complaining. Just want to be re assured that this isn't a hardware issue.

I'll just give in to NVIDIA and get a GSYNC monitor. As long as this behaviour is normal with VSYNC, I'm not really complaining. Just want to be re assured that this isn't a hardware issue.

it's a HW issue alright, just not a defect

you could try and force the card into maximum performance via NVCP, see if that does anything noticeable

Well, the stutters aren't exactly reproduceable at will. They just happen here and there.

I would try to increase the resolution with DSR and see what the results are.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/dynamic-super-resolution-instantly-improves-your-games-with-4k-quality-graphics

There could be an issue where you hardware isn't being kept at a low state due to V-Sync.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

most areas doesn't mean shit

Ok, how about all areas? I've replayed the Witcher 3 multiple times with my 1080, and I've never seen my frames go one below 88  (I was playing uncapped for two playthroughs, just so I could try and get used to tearing, didn't work).

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's a HW issue alright, just not a defect

you could try and force the card into maximum performance via NVCP, see if that does anything noticeable

Have tried, doesn't do anything but increase temps.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I would try to increase the resolution with DSR and see what the results are.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/dynamic-super-resolution-instantly-improves-your-games-with-4k-quality-graphics

There could be an issue where you hardware isn't being kept at a low state due to V-Sync.

Well, I have to say DSR just looks terrible. All the text looks blurry in-game, and is difficult to read. I feel like I may just be hyper sensitive to frame drops and frame times...