Ubuntu, GRUB rescue mode, pc doesnt start

Hello everyone,

I wanted to extend Ubuntu's partition. Since the unallocated space was before the ext4 partition, I thought it would've been a good idea to copy it on a usb drive and copy it back at the start of the unallocated space, so that it would end up at the end of tyhe partition.

After copying it, GRUB says "no such partition". The ls command shows (hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1).

hd0, hd0,msdos2, hd0,msdos1 have an unknown filesystem

hd0,msdos5 is ext2

Since Ubuntu was on ext4, on the third partition (msdos1), I'm not sure what to do, also because I tried the prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub, root and insmod normal commands, but insmod says "unknown filesystem".

Said USB key on which I copied Ubuntu's partition freezes the BIOS of the PC if inserted prior to boot, hence I can't use it as a live OS.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,

EMENCII

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

How did you copy it? DD?

Id boot into a live disk, and then the run update drub.

Minitool partition wizard

I can't boot from a live cd, as I said the USB key freezes the pc at startup

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

11 minutes ago, EMENCII said:

Minitool partition wizard

I can't boot from a live cd, as I said the USB key freezes the pc at startup

Will it pxe boot? 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Will it pxe boot? 

what does it mean?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well, I didn't try. Though after reading a bit of it I understood that I didn't understand much. ^^'

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If it's useful I have probably found the right partition, as "ls" lists what looks like Ubuntu's root

8 minutes ago, EMENCII said:

If it's useful I have probably found the right partition, as "ls" lists what looks like Ubuntu's root

How did you copy the partitions?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Minitool Partition Wizard has an option "copy", so I transferred the ext4 partition on the USB key, deleted the one on the ssd and copied it back in the unallocated space.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Looks like it somehow found the file it needed to enter the normal grub, and i could recover it.

I'd really like to thank you for the time you spent helping me, your replies had a good psycological effect on me, and gave me the strength to keep trying.

It kinda sounds weird, but... Just thank you for answering, it meant more than you think.

5 minutes ago, EMENCII said:

Looks like it somehow found the file it needed to enter the normal grub, and i could recover it.

I'd really like to thank you for the time you spent helping me, your replies had a good psycological effect on me, and gave me the strength to keep trying.

It kinda sounds weird, but... Just thank you for answering, it meant more than you think.

Sorry I didn't help much, I really hate working with grub, and personally when I see grub rescure, I just reimage it. Good job making it work.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Sorry I didn't help much, I really hate working with grub, and personally when I see grub rescure, I just reimage it. Good job making it work.

I would have reinstalled everything too, but there were quite some things I had to overcome: files on Ubuntu and W10 (had the backups, but windows doesn't see the USB key as they are in different partitions), couldn't boot from the USB key (that's a real bummer, I was surprised the BIOS has problems with it) and time, since I have a presentation on monday and the files were on the Ubuntu image.

Ahh good old grub trouble shooting. FYI had the keyfreeze thing happen to me, use a non USB3 port.

19 hours ago, downshiftxlr8 said:

Ahh good old grub trouble shooting. FYI had the keyfreeze thing happen to me, use a non USB3 port.

Well, my laptop doesn't have usb3 ports xD

The usb key is tho, but it's not like I could change it...