windows 10 won't let me install stuff

jol159

As the title mentions, I can't install anything. I get an error saying It can't install a program (for example x-plane 11 demo)

Any ideas why?

Reinstall Windows. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

4 minutes ago, Jasun said:

Reinstall Windows. 

is there no setting to fix my problem? I wouldn't want to have to install windows just to get x-plane 11 beta to work

1 minute ago, jol159 said:

is there no setting to fix my problem? I wouldn't want to have to install windows just to get x-plane 11 beta to work

I have never encountered this problem myself so I don't know an exact solution but if you have system restore, use that to restore it back to an older date and see if that fixes your problem.

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

57 minutes ago, jol159 said:

As the title mentions, I can't install anything. I get an error saying It can't install a program (for example x-plane 11 demo)

Any ideas why?

What is the error that you are getting, exactly?

On 10/12/2016 at 4:07 PM, GoodBytes said:

What is the error that you are getting, exactly?

It is Windows smart screen being annoying - I have followed instructions and tried to turn it off but it still doesn't work. It says: "this program can't be installed on your device. Contact the software vendor for a version that will work on your device" - something like that anyway.

When the Smart Screen pop-up shows, just do More Details > Allow

When you do that, it send to MS that the program is OK, and with a lot of hits by others, it marks it as safe. So you help both others and the developer.

I sadly, don't know what you did, what tutorial you followed, but it is definitely crap one, as you locked yourself out.

If you can, make a new account on your system from the Settings page, and set it as Admin, and then login to it, than transfer your stuff from the old account to the new one, and delete the old account.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

When the Smart Screen pop-up shows, just do More Details > Allow

When you do that, it send to MS that the program is OK, and with a lot of hits by others, it marks it as safe. So you help both others and the developer.

I sadly, don't know what you did, what tutorial you followed, but it is definitely crap one, as you locked yourself out.

If you can, make a new account on your system from the Settings page, and set it as Admin, and then login to it, than transfer your stuff from the old account to the new one, and delete the old account.

more details doesn't show - the only button that is there is 'close'. how do I transfer my stuff from one account to another

5 hours ago, jol159 said:

more details doesn't show - the only button that is there is 'close'. how do I transfer my stuff from one account to another

I guess you got locked yourself out of that as well.

Anyway, on your new account, being an admin, you can access all your stuff from: C:\Users\<Old account name>\

You can copy the CONTENT of each folders that you see, such as: Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. to your current new account.

You also have a hidden folder called: AppData inside.

You can transfer it, but be careful, some folders needs to be excluded, else it may cause other problems.

Transferring this folder is optional. It contain some programs settings, and some games put their saved games inside.

Please note that before starting this process, make sure that all your programs are closed. This includes web browser.

Inside, you have 3 sub-folders. Local, LocalLow (may not exists, that is fine) and Roaming,

Copy the content of Roaming folder from the old account to the new account at the same location inside (C:\Users\<New account>\AppData\Roaming\), with the exception of: Microsoft folder.

Then go to Local folder of the old account, and copy and paste all its content to the Local folder in the new account, with the exception of: ConnectedDevicesPlatform, Comms, Microsoft, MicrosoftEdge, Packages, PackageStaging, Publishers, Temp, TileDataLayer, and VirtualStore, and also the file: Resmon.ResmonCfg

Ignore LocalLow.