Poor FPS AC3

neision
Go to solution Solved by neision,
20 minutes ago, A Damn Crab! said:

You are also aware of the CPU bottlenecking your GPu.

As I stated earlier it's not a bottleneck but an Optimization issue.

25 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Well a good way of checking that is showing all cores and monitoring each of their usages. If the core being used is at 100% then it's bottlenecking your gpu  

I raised the max temp of the GPU in afterburner back to 81c stock, it was 70c prior. I'm getting 35-45fps (wide range of 10 fps because it varies really ridiculously) or so in Boston now and it ramps up to 60-70 fps in isolated areas where there are not much AI moving around. Monitored the entire system with riva tuner and played the game for 15 mins
Had HWinfo doing stats in the background and these are the results.

What's still puzzling me is that someone with a cpu of the same architecture has better perf, They're using an fx 6300, in this video. Difference is that their card is an aftermarket 4GB while I'm using the 2GB reference. I can possibly conclude the issue as a lack of video memory and optimization of the Anvil engine for multi-core CPUs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulp9xDj6wNc

Screenshot_10.png

Screenshot_11.png

Screenshot_12.png

Herro everyone.

Ubisoft is giving AC3 free, thought I'd play the story a 3rd time.

I'm using a GTX 960 2GB at 1.2 Ghz or so

AMD fx 8350 
4gb ram

I can play Rise of the Tomb Raider near Ultra at a good 45-50 fps 1080p

However I'm having an issue where I'm not getting as much FPS as I should.
The performance was awful In Assassin's Creed 3, until I noticed in Nvidia's Control Panel that v-sync was on.
I removed it and performance was slightly better 
In Boston I'm getting a mere 30-35 fps when moving though the crowds.  As you can see in the screenshot below. In other isolated places it's around 50-55 or so on average (eyeballin)

My m8 who has a similar card gets almost twice the amount of fps I have and we have similar rigs, he has an  i7 4770. Also in this video you can see how the game is meant to perform on the same card, can someone tell me what's up or any advice on how to fix this?

Playing on the same settings as the video.

How It Should Run - Assassin's Creed 3 - I7 4790K - GTX 960 4GB - Maxed Out - 1080P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN2drBnMwAo

Assassin's Creed III 12.08.2016 - 19.39.50.15.png

update:" sorry for the wrong link AHAHAHAHA, that's embarrasing/"

Edited by neision
wrong link attached to the video

Whats your cpu usage like when the fps drops?

I wouldnt expect an 8350 to bottleneck a 960 but it could be a possibility.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Whats your cpu usage like when the fps drops?

I wouldnt expect an 8350 to bottleneck a 960 but it could be a possibility.

the fps doesn't drop. it's just oddly low compared to my m8's and the video's
 cpu usage on an average of 40% 

GPU is clearly bottlenecked.

i7 5930k - 32GB Gskill Trident 3200 - EVGA x99 FTW-K - RX 480 8GB Nitro Crossfire

Just now, A Damn Crab! said:

GPU is clearly bottlenecked.

That's not the case because it goes Hulk Hogan on Rise of the Tomb Raider, utilizes 90% of it.
while CPU is usually below 50% usage.

I'm still looking into it

Just now, neision said:

That's not the case because it goes Hulk Hogan on Rise of the Tomb Raider, utilizes 90% of it.
while CPU is usually below 50% usage.

I'm still looking into it

Are you stupid?

You showed the image to us, here is your image and there is your GPU usage.. clearly bottlenecked.

i7 5930k - 32GB Gskill Trident 3200 - EVGA x99 FTW-K - RX 480 8GB Nitro Crossfire

Just now, A Damn Crab! said:

Are you stupid?

You showed the image to us, here is your image and there is your GPU usage.. clearly bottlenecked.

You should refrain from calling people stupid on this forum, it increases your chances of being banned.

I say this because the gpu core load 80% average, full pci-e link speed usage as well as core clock remaining above 1.1Ghz in game.
I'm getting 60 fps in some isolated ares, nothing higher, I'm still looking into it.

Well this issue is not all i would look into either LMAO.

8 minutes ago, neision said:

You should refrain from calling people stupid on this forum, it increases your chances of being banned.

I say this because the gpu core load 80% average, full pci-e link speed usage as well as core clock remaining above 1.1Ghz in game.
I'm getting 60 fps in some isolated ares, nothing higher, I'm still looking into it.

Monitor all of your hardware if you don't think it's a cpu bottlneck. 

Is the game on an old hdd? 

Too little ram? 

is the cpu or gpu getting too hot? 

2 hours ago, Wolther said:

Monitor all of your hardware if you don't think it's a cpu bottlneck. 

Is the game on an old hdd? 

Too little ram? 

is the cpu or gpu getting too hot? 

CPU doesn't go over 50c on an EVO 212
There's enough memory.
And I'm using SSDs.

I was advised that I use an fx 8350 which doesn't have good single thread performance and AC3 has terrible multi threading performance.
After doing some more research on it it turns out to be true, Anvil engine in AC3 & Black Flag doesn't utilize hyper-threading and multi threading capabilities of most CPUs.
Verdict is that it's an optimization issue, not a system issue.

2 minutes ago, neision said:

CPU doesn't go over 50c on an EVO 212
There's enough memory.
I was advised that I use an fx 8350 which doesn't have good single thread performance and AC3 has terrible multi threading performance.
After doing some more research on it it turns out to be true, Anvil engine in AC3 & Black Flag doesn't utilize hyper-threading and multi threading capabilities of most CPUs.
Verdict is that it's an optimization issue, not a system issue.

Well a good way of checking that is showing all cores and monitoring each of their usages. If the core being used is at 100% then it's bottlenecking your gpu  

Just now, Wolther said:

I'm aware of this ;)

3 minutes ago, neision said:

I'm aware of this ;)

20 minutes ago, A Damn Crab! said:

As I stated earlier it's not a bottleneck but an Optimization issue.

25 minutes ago, Wolther said:

I raised the max temp of the GPU in afterburner back to 81c stock, it was 70c prior. I'm getting 35-45fps (wide range of 10 fps because it varies really ridiculously) or so in Boston now and it ramps up to 60-70 fps in isolated areas where there are not much AI moving around. Monitored the entire system with riva tuner and played the game for 15 mins
Had HWinfo doing stats in the background and these are the results.

What's still puzzling me is that someone with a cpu of the same architecture has better perf, They're using an fx 6300, in this video. Difference is that their card is an aftermarket 4GB while I'm using the 2GB reference. I can possibly conclude the issue as a lack of video memory and optimization of the Anvil engine for multi-core CPUs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulp9xDj6wNc

Screenshot_10.png

Screenshot_11.png

Screenshot_12.png