Cache vrs core frequency overclocking

So i reached stable ghz 4.6 with 3.4 Cache. But 4.7ghz at 3.4 cache is not stable. It doesnt become stable till 3.0ghz of cache at 4.7ghz.

(I7 5820k)

At 4.7ghz it reaches 72C, and then slowly climbs higher and higher.

(1.294V)

Is it better to have 4.6ghz with 3.4ghz cache, or 4.7ghz with 3.0ghz cache?

Should i go to 4.5ghz and bring cache even higher?

Basically im getting 0.4ghz of cache for every 0.1 ghz of core frequency. 

CPU speed trumps all, but that doesn't mean that CPU cache overclocking isn't important as well.  As @wrathoftheturkey stated, it's recommended to keep CPU clock speed and CPU cached clock speed withing 400 MHz of one another if your CPU's cache isn't that great and won't overclock too high.

On x99, CPU cache directly impacts the memory bandwidth of your DDR4 quad channel or whatever you are using.

In an ideal overclock, you would run a 1:1 on CPU and cache clocks.  That would be a 4.7 GHz CPU and a 4.7 GHz cache overclock.  Running a 1:1 will also increase CPU operating temperatures and power draw from the CPU.  You can add 30w to 50w extra for cache overclocking on top of what your CPU is already drawing.  This can be a small or big deal depending on your cooling.

To answer your question about which overclock is better, only you can answer that.  Depending on the workloads that you do, you can benefit nicely from higher cache speed and therefore more memory bandwidth. 

I generally run mine at 4.1 to 4.2 GHz for my daily overclock, but when I am benchmarking or trying to show off in some other way, I crank it up as high as 4.8 GHz to match the CPU speed.  Even if I take the CPU higher than 4.8, I only take cache speed up to 4.8 as that's about all it can do.

Ideally you want them to be as close as possible. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

CPU speed trumps all, but that doesn't mean that CPU cache overclocking isn't important as well.  As @wrathoftheturkey stated, it's recommended to keep CPU clock speed and CPU cached clock speed withing 400 MHz of one another if your CPU's cache isn't that great and won't overclock too high.

On x99, CPU cache directly impacts the memory bandwidth of your DDR4 quad channel or whatever you are using.

In an ideal overclock, you would run a 1:1 on CPU and cache clocks.  That would be a 4.7 GHz CPU and a 4.7 GHz cache overclock.  Running a 1:1 will also increase CPU operating temperatures and power draw from the CPU.  You can add 30w to 50w extra for cache overclocking on top of what your CPU is already drawing.  This can be a small or big deal depending on your cooling.

To answer your question about which overclock is better, only you can answer that.  Depending on the workloads that you do, you can benefit nicely from higher cache speed and therefore more memory bandwidth. 

I generally run mine at 4.1 to 4.2 GHz for my daily overclock, but when I am benchmarking or trying to show off in some other way, I crank it up as high as 4.8 GHz to match the CPU speed.  Even if I take the CPU higher than 4.8, I only take cache speed up to 4.8 as that's about all it can do.

I have a Cosair hi100 water cooler. I also do have x99 board. What you said makes some sense, i noticed a little bit of loading delay in start up after I overclocked it from 3.3ghz/3.0ghz to 4.6ghz/3.4ghz.

It was a little bit faster but it didn't improve as much as i thought it would. So i will tinker with it. Should i change the uncore(cache) voltage also?

42 minutes ago, PainBlame said:

I have a Cosair hi100 water cooler. I also do have x99 board. What you said makes some sense, i noticed a little bit of loading delay in start up after I overclocked it from 3.3ghz/3.0ghz to 4.6ghz/3.4ghz.

It was a little bit faster but it didn't improve as much as i thought it would. So i will tinker with it. Should i change the uncore(cache) voltage also?

Yes, you need to increase cache voltage. If you are at stock voltage that would explain the fact that you can't get the cache very high. 

On 12/7/2016 at 8:56 PM, done12many2 said:

Yes, you need to increase cache voltage. If you are at stock voltage that would explain the fact that you can't get the cache very high. 

The voltage is increased but my cooler can't keep the temp stable if i do anything more.