what NAS OS for this microserver?

11 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

wait hold up, why only one HDD? That is not safe at all

im getting more later, its just for now as maily offloading of family computers, and for storing files in more then one place. 

21 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

It's just a really bad idea. just warning you up front. It really really is a bad idea. 

im not going to run freenas on it, im looking for other things atm, im getting different harddrives for it too this is just what i have right now, and i dont have a single dollar more to spend on it right now. needs to just sit there so that people can offload there computers with like 120gb of storage onto it and for storing things in more then one place at a time. its not backup, its just a way to offload the computers in my house and so files can be easaly accessed from whatever computer you are using in the house. it cant be my computer because im moving out in a few years, it cant be dads computer and i have this microserver that i bought for just this and you are telling me to basically throw it away. its going to stay with my parrents so they can use it even when im not living with them anymore and they arent living here anymore and i saw this as the least expensive but still decent solution, i have also always wanted to try setting up a NAS and this is also a good opertunity for that. this was just a thread about what OS to use and you arent helping by saying dont do it.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

18 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im getting more later, its just for now as maily offloading of family computers, and for storing files in more then one place. 

im not going to run freenas on it, im looking for other things atm, im getting different harddrives for it too this is just what i have right now, and i dont have a single dollar more to spend on it right now. needs to just sit there so that people can offload there computers with like 120gb of storage onto it and for storing things in more then one place at a time. its not backup, its just a way to offload the computers in my house and so files can be easaly accessed from whatever computer you are using in the house. it cant be my computer because im moving out in a few years, it cant be dads computer and i have this microserver that i bought for just this and you are telling me to basically throw it away. its going to stay with my parrents so they can use it even when im not living with them anymore and they arent living here anymore and i saw this as the least expensive but still decent solution, i have also always wanted to try setting up a NAS and this is also a good opertunity for that. this was just a thread about what OS to use and you arent helping by saying dont do it.

You are moving out in a few YEARS? Use your computer for crying out loud. The drive might not even survive that long.

Yea you should throw that microserver away. It is a piece of crap that WILL fail and is not a good idea for ANY always-on use.

I'm saying this entire one-disk nas microserver is a really bad idea no matter what OS you use.

Xpenology would be my recommendation for a nas setup on such hardware, but I'm again saying it isn't a good idea.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

You are moving out in a few YEARS? Use your computer for crying out loud. The drive might not even survive that long.

Yea you should throw that microserver away. It is a piece of crap that WILL fail and is not a good idea for ANY always-on use.

I'm saying this entire one-disk nas microserver is a really bad idea no matter what OS you use.

Xpenology would be my recommendation for a nas setup on such hardware, but I'm again saying it isn't a good idea.

ok then, thats what you think, i have said that im getting other disks and Nas4Free seems to support the hardware. but we will see if it dies, im probably going to have this disk for maybe three months or so and then im getting two or four NAS HDDs and il probably use a RAID 5 if it can do that, otherwise maybe RAID 1 in some way. well if you think its going to fail i dont doubt that, it WILL but probably not before i get my parent something else. i dont want and of the other computers in the house on because they draw more power and are pretty much all loud as shit whilst this microserver is extremly quiet and barely audioable from what i have seen from it, the only sound making part really is the HDD.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 12/7/2016 at 8:39 PM, Curufinwe_wins said:

Everything will die at some point. They are low end servers, but reliability will be no worse than an off the shelf PC.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible