Router Question

pcman17

Currently trying to setup my router to work with my home network. I am using the stock modem from the ISP and the ASUS RT-N66U for my Router/WIFI. I have purchased an UBIQUITI Edgerouter and would like to make this my router and turn the ASUS into an AP. Should I assign them all static IPs? Including the Router? or can I DHCP on the Router and then static everything else?

Plug the wan of the edgerouter into the modem. Don't worry about that connection.

The router has a static ip.

The wifi can be static or dhcp, it doesn't matter

The router should have a static IP as default when the modem is plugged into the WAN port on the router. If it does not automatically assign one, do so yourself. You'll probably want to go for 192.168.1.1 or something similar for the router. It's basically the standard for local home networks (not that it really makes much of a difference for most people). 

Everything else can be DHCP if you want. Personally, I would have any access points or permanent network devices set to static IPs and have the clients using DHCP. So, maybe reserve 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.21 for static IPs and have the DHCP pool start at 192.168.1.22.

Awesome thanks a lot guys. I was having some issues last night with router duplicating IPs but I switched it to AP mode and its all good. Thanks again!

So the router is working great and the Wifi is now a AP. The issue im running into is for instance, my media can no longer be shared on my TV downstairs from my Desktop and I cant connect to my wireless Printer now either? Pretty much the computer is directly connect to the router and because of this my computer can access anything thats attached to my wifi. How do i change this?

Is the PC connected directly to the EdgeRouter?  If so you will need to allow communication between the port you have connected to on the EdgeRouter and the port you have the Asus (AP) now running in.  If you haven't simply set the EdgeRouter to be a dumb switch, you may have rules between the two active ports.

Can you give an over view of how things are connected?  Making some assumptions with the above.  Have some experience with an EdgeRouter light, prefer pfSense or Vyatta personally though.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply