Cpu for gaming

Is an i5 worth it for gaming?  I don't do anything but word processing, youtube watching, netflix, and gaming so would it be worth spending the extra money on an I5 rather than an I3?  I'm not going K because I can't swing a z170 mobo.

I5 is what you need for gaming. Noting more nothing less. Unless you go AMD lol

Everyone should own a vive.

11 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

I5 is what you need for gaming. Noting more nothing less. Unless you go AMD lol

That's actually incorrect, i7 is already getting maxed out by a few games, and its a trend that's going to grow, I would say i5 is the minimum for gaming now and moving forwards.

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

10 minutes ago, Soundsystem90 said:

i7, BF1 says no to i5's.

Not really. Even if it was that significant (and it's probably not), why would you recommend an overkill CPU just for one game that OP may or may not play?

Just now, Kloaked said:

Not really. Even if it was that significant (and it's probably not), why would you recommend an overkill CPU just for one game that OP may or may not play?

The difference is huge though.

Playable vs unplayable. GG

Games are not getting easier to run.

Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock . XEON X5650 4.49ghz

Just now, Soundsystem90 said:

The difference is huge though.

Playable vs unplayable. GG

Games are not getting easier to run.

Define unplayable.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Define unplayable.

Below 60FPS and stuttering, unless this is something you like.

9 minutes ago, Soundsystem90 said:

So below 60 and not stuttering is still considered playable to you? 

And it is your experience that a 6600k will make BF1 stutter and drop below 60fps at every resolution on every graphics card?

Pretty sure it's the same story as it's always been with the i7 and i5 for gaming: there's very little difference, and it's not worth the extra money unless you just have the money.

OP clearly doesn't want to spend that much as he's wondering if an i5 is worth it over an i3, and the answer is yes.

Just now, MANIDY inc said:

So below 60 and not stuttering is still considered playable to you? 

Ever played a game with loads of stuttering? vs just a lower framerate?

Plus you just made an argument out of thin air when more threads on intel CPU's achieve better results than any of the i5's, the 6600K may level an i7 980X due to IPC, but anything newer will rekt the i5 in BF1.

I know you guys will defend the i5 seeing as though it's what most people here use lmao.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

And it is your experience that a 6600k will make BF1 stutter and drop below 60fps at every resolution on every graphics card?

Pretty sure it's the same story as it's always been with the i7 and i5 for gaming: there's very little difference, and it's not worth the extra money unless you just have the money.

OP clearly doesn't want to spend that much as he's wondering if an i5 is worth it over an i3, and the answer is yes.

i7 will gain the person substantially better results in BF1, why is this so hard to understand?

1 minute ago, Soundsystem90 said:

Ever played a game with loads of stuttering? vs just a lower framerate?

Plus you just made an argument out of thin air when more threads on intel CPU's achieve better results than any of the i5's, the 6600K may level an i7 980X due to IPC, but anything newer will rekt the i5 in BF1.

I know you guys will defend the i5 seeing as though it's what most people here use lmao.

Duh it's better but need NEEDED.

Lol kids crack me up 

Duh it's better but need NEEDED.

Lol kids crack me up 

Enjoy under utilised GPU and lower FPS then i don't actually care TBH but heh just telling you how it is.

24 minutes ago, TurkeyClub said:

Is an i5 worth it for gaming?  I don't do anything but word processing, youtube watching, netflix, and gaming so would it be worth spending the extra money on an I5 rather than an I3?  I'm not going K because I can't swing a z170 mobo.

Depends on the games you play. I'd consider the i3 to be the baseline for a gaming rig. It's a dual-core, yeah, but it's got four threads, it performs well in single-threaded applications (most games), it's cheap and it lets you upgrade to an i5 or i7 when it's showing its age.

An i5 is what I'd consider the typical gaming rig to be looking for. Great multi-thread, great single-thread, overclockable if you want that, and it's a true quad-core, which more and more games want. I'd wager that 95+% of games will run just fine on this CPU.

An i7 is needed only for outlier titles like BF1 and Cities: Skylines that eat threads like a fat dude at a cheeseburger buffet. If you're going to buy a bunch of those games, then an i7 is absolutely necessary. If you're only going to pick up one of those titles, or you don't intend to be buying every AAA game the second it comes out, you're fine with an i5, but Intel would certainly thank you for buying an i7, and they'd thank you even more if you were one of those who went around espousing that every gamer needs an i7 because three games aren't playable without it.

Here's a dirty little secret about an i5: if you buy it and it's not holding up to the workload, you can sell it off and buy an i7.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Enjoy under utilised GPU and lower FPS then i don't actually care TBH but heh just telling you how it is.

Telling me from your cereal box

1 minute ago, MANIDY inc said:

Telling me from your cereal box

i5's and 4 cores are slowing down... and all you have as a retort is a cereal box.

I was also called a child.

Never mind.

i7 will gain the person substantially better results in BF1, why is this so hard to understand?

You've produced no proof of this other than "DAE THINK YOU NEED MOAR THAN 4 THREADS FOR GAMING AMIRITE"

Those videos you keep linking also have no proof of the performance gains over an i5. Please provide actual evidence and I'll admit that you're right.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

You've produced no proof of this other than "DAE THINK YOU NEED MOAR THAN 4 THREADS FOR GAMING AMIRITE"

Those videos you keep linking also have no proof of the performance gains over an i5. Please provide actual evidence and I'll admit that you're right.

3 minutes ago, Soundsystem90 said:

i5's and 4 cores are slowing down... and all you have as a retort is a cereal box.

I was also called a child.

Never mind.

I have no problem running every game 60fps on ultra 

1 minute ago, Soundsystem90 said:

>during beta

>isn't comparing an i5 to the i7 during beta

>didn't provide evidence again

I have no problem running every game 60fps on ultra 

Yup everyone else is lying.