How will i feel gaming with a £4k gaming setup?

Go to solution Solved by Alir,
5 minutes ago, PCMR Ricos said:

That sounds better, thknx for the advice, looks like I got trolled :D , so you don't recommend me to spend £4k on a gaming pc? What budget would be the sweet spot?

It depends what you're after, particularly what games you intend to play. If it were me, I'd go for a 21:9 monitor, as I have, at 1080p. If you want a higher refresh rate, you can, but expect to spend around 500-1000 pounds more for a better monitor and GPU. I personally feel that spending more for anything higher than 60Hz is a waste at this point, at least at the resolutions I am referring to. And especially since you're coming from console gaming and PC gaming at such low resolutions. Some have even 'speculated' that going higher than 60fps when you're only used to 30fps can be a waste (since you would not notice the improvement) or would be more distracting since you're so new to it.

With that in mind, spending between £1000-£2000 is your best bet, monitor included. Though you could spend less if you wanted to. Only said the bolded part in case someone looks at that price point and gets discouraged from building a PC. It doesn't have to be that expensive!

I used to have a 25" 1080p monitor which I bought for £150. The monitor was a bit small since it was 25" ultrawide, but it was still a far better upgrade and was a better choice than if I had spent ~£500 on a 4k monitor. I actually now have a curved 3440x1440 monitor, as of the last few weeks. The monitor's RRP was about £750 - would have been a waste to spend that much. The only reason I bought it was because it was for less than £400, used. A good offer I couldn't let slip. It also helps me work more effectively but time will tell whether it is "too much".

Without the offer, I would have spent between £200-£350 on a 1080p monitor. As great as overspending is sometimes, I find it's more enjoyable if you spend the right amount. As opposed to spending more. If you spend the right amount, you can buy a new computer with even better specs in a few years if you really wanted to and could spend less than if you overspent initially.

Don't get me wrong and let me discourage you. If you want to go for 4k or a refresh rate higher than 60, go for it! But I say this from experience. I have a friend who only games on consoles and a couple years back he would keep asking me if these PC offers he was finding on Amazon or ebay were any good (the kinds with flashy lights) and would advertise as being 4k ready. If you're coming from consoles at 16:9, I can confidently say the best upgrade you can make is to go 21:9. Once you do, you will realise how 'squashed' 16:9 games are. And that's not to forget that upgrading to 21:9 is affordable!

You have to realise that technology is still getting better and better by the year and what you think is a new technology today will be outdated in a few years and will be a lot cheaper than you see now. That's why in my opinion, spending a premium price for a new technology or high end technology isn't worth it. Unless of course you consider yourself an enthusiast or are swimming in gold, and are willing to waste said gold.

Remember that only a few years ago, 4k was ridiculously expensive and was being advertised as the all new thing for entertainment. Now 4k isn't really that big of a deal. There aren't even that many movies/ tv shows at that resolution. And now 21:9 is being advertised as the new thing for movies, which holds more weight than saying 4k is the thing for movies - where you have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

I still want to know what kind of games you intend to play. Achieving 144fps in CS GO is a pretty easy feat. The same cannot be said for games like Crysis 3 - I don't know what the newest demanding game is.

Hey guys, from next month I will start saving £400 a month, I will save for 10 months to get a cool gaming pc, the best i've gamed was a PS2 or an AMD laptop that run csgo all ultra low at 3-20fps (Toshiba Satellite Some numbers-10V)

In your opinion how will it feel gaming with a Volta GPU and cannonalake as my first gaming pc?

Feel... good?

Seriously no offence was intended by that. But if you waste £4000 on a gaming PC 99.99/100 chance is that you will thoroughly despise yourself for decades to come.

There becomes a point where spending more money gives you little to 0 true benefit while gaming.

Especially since you are coming from having such a low expectation of gaming, there is no need to make such a ridiculously huge jump in gaming.

If you want true immersion at the optimum price, I would HIGHLY suggest you game at either 1080p or 1440p at 21:9 resolutions.

1080P: 2560x1080

1440P: 3440x1440

it'll make you feel good I guess, having a better pc than alot of the people you play against.

it wont improve your skill when playing though, so if you're a shit gamer, you'd still be shit. To put it simply lol

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

it'll make you feel good I guess, having a better pc than alot of the people you play against.

it wont improve your skill when playing though, so if you're a shit gamer, you'd still be shit. To put it simply lol

I don't think everyone gets what i'm saying, I mean how smooth will it feel at 4k 60fps/1440p 144hz

1 hour ago, PCMR Ricos said:

---

HAHAHAH It was meant as a joke man. I didn't mean to insult you :)

Consider that I hate myself for wasting £250 on an i7 overclockable processor and an expensive overclockable motherboard. I even wasted money on a beefy CPU cooler.

I have never overclocked my PC since it was never truly my expectation to overclock. I don't even know how to. I just spent all that money because I could.

You would be better imo to game at 21:9 1080p and spend that extra money on games.

Most gamers focus on hardware inside their PC. Very rarely do they realise your mouse, keyboard, mouse/keyboard mat and monitor play a much bigger role in your gaming experience.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

2 minutes ago, PCMR Ricos said:

I don't think everyone gets what i'm saying, I mean how smooth will it feel at 4k 60fps/1440p 144hz

That's a more appropriate question

2 minutes ago, Alir said:

Consider that I hate myself for wasting £250 on an i7 overclockable processor and an expensive overclockable motherboard. I even wasted money on a beefy CPU cooler.

I have never overclocked my PC since it was never truly my expectation to overclock. I don't even know how to. I just spent all that money because I could.

You would be better imo to game at 21:9 1080p and spend that extra money on games.

Most gamers focus on hardware inside their PC. Very rarely do they realise your mouse, keyboard, mouse/keyboard mat and monitor play a much bigger role in your gaming experience.

It's still very rude to the other person on this website. Treat people with respect.

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I disagree. I'm conscious of how much I spend. I spent over £1000 on my gaming PC. When I say gaming PC, it was more a PC since I only got around to buying a GPU 1 year later for £275.

It really was a waste of money imo.

You should always be modest when it comes to how much you spend on your PC. Otherwise, you won't appreciate your build since you won't be enjoying it to its full potential.

So a 4000 dollar pc huh, can i make u a pc part picker link, do u want to use the full budget

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, Alir said:

That sounds better, thknx for the advice, looks like I got trolled :D , so you don't recommend me to spend £4k on a gaming pc? What budget would be the sweet spot?

Just now, PCMR Ricos said:

2k is the sweet spot. But also it depends on currency.

The geek himself.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

2k is the sweet spot. But also it depends on currency.

British pounds (A.K.A. Brexit :( )

I only plan to play and do some really light video editing (rarely)

I play more CS:GO and maybe I would get BF1/GTA V

British pounds (A.K.A. Brexit :( )

I only plan to play and do some really light video editing (rarely)

I play more CS:GO and maybe I would get BF1/GTA V

Alright then a 2k budget is good enough

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

It's still very rude to the other person on this website. Treat people with respect.

Yeah that's a good point. I guess I was in a rush to make the first comment. Didn't think twice.

Sorry Ricos. I was thinking more about how I felt after I wasted a few hundred pounds more than I had to.

7 minutes ago, PCMR Ricos said:

What you buy depends more than how much you spend. The performance you have quoted can be achieve for much less, but it also depends on what you are playing.

CS GO is anything but a demanding game.

But I again question whether such a huge jump in your gaming experience is wise.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Alright then a 2k budget is good enough

What specs? 30fps for me is utterly smooth (*cough* *cough* console *cough* *cough*), would an i3 or i5 suit me more?

What specs? 30fps for me is utterly smooth (*cough* *cough* console *cough* *cough*), would an i3 or i5 suit me more?

well we can go 6800k actually

The geek himself.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

well we can go 6800k actually

and I wouldn't ever go i3 due to lack of cores, i5 its ok but not the best

The geek himself.

12 minutes ago, Alir said:

Seriously no offence was intended by that. But if you waste £4000 on a gaming PC 99.99/100 chance is that you will thoroughly despise yourself for decades to come.

There becomes a point where spending more money gives you little to 0 true benefit while gaming.

Especially since you are coming from having such a low expectation of gaming, there is no need to make such a ridiculously huge jump in gaming.

If you want true immersion at the optimum price, I would HIGHLY suggest you game at either 1080p or 1440p at 21:9 resolutions.

1080P: 2560x1080

1440P: 3440x1440

Would an i3 or i5 would make more use to me?

I don't think i7 because I only play without background tasks, i don't mind low settings too ^^

and I wouldn't ever go i3 due to lack of cores, i5 its ok but not the best

2 minutes ago, PCMR Ricos said:

Would an i3 or i5 would make more use to me?

I don't think i7 because I only play without background tasks, i don't mind low settings too ^^

You gonna regret not going with a i7, ill lower it to a 6700k, makes more sense, but if you have a 2000 dollar budget, then use it.

The geek himself.

You gonna regret not going with a i7, ill lower it to a 6700k, makes more sense, but if you have a 2000 dollar budget, then use it.

Ok thanks ^^, I will just be here looking at other peoples opinions.

+1 to you

You really don't want to stress your cpu on integrated graphics, gta v requires a powerful cpu and gpu

The geek himself.