CPU swap

Go to solution Solved by Starelementpoke,
9 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

Hello,

I might be getting a 4790k for Christmas and I was wondering if there is anything to do before or after I swap out the chips. I do plan on replacing the thermal paste.

Cooler: H100i

Current chip: G3258

Thank you for any help

Nah, nothing other than that. But personally, would just get an i5, upgrade GPU, and get a better PSU.

Hello,

I might be getting a 4790k for Christmas and I was wondering if there is anything to do before or after I swap out the chips. I do plan on replacing the thermal paste.

Thank you for any help

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

How does that relate?

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

9 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

Hello,

Thank you for any help

Nah, nothing other than that. But personally, would just get an i5, upgrade GPU, and get a better PSU.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

I got a 750W I think thats adequate plus I have never had any problems with it

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

How does that relate?

Known better as sarcasm, in this case it means that there's nothing else to do to your cpu (aside of replacing thermal paste...)

Now, seeing your signature, the only thing i can say is... Get a SSD and you are golden!

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

I would get a xeon 1231v3, save money for your GPU

I will get a new gpu later on

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

I got a 750W I think thats adequate plus I have never had any problems with it

It's more of a quality worry. Just because you've had no problems with it, doesn't mean it's fine. You're a sample size of 1. 

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

It's more of a quality worry. Just because you've had no problems with it, doesn't mean it's fine. You're a sample size of 1. 

Its a 3 year old system. im pretty sure that if there was going to be a problem, it would have already happened. I feel like that statement is going to bite me in the ass some day. but I dont hve the money to do anything about it right now. CPU and GPU are my priorities.

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

Its a 3 year old system. im pretty sure that if there was going to be a problem, it would have already happened. I feel like that statement is going to bite me in the ass some day. but I dont hve the money to do anything about it right now. CPU and GPU are my priorities.

Your call. I'll be here to tell you I told you so once you get parts that'll actually put a tiny bit of strain on your PSU.

8 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Your call. I'll be here to tell you I told you so once you get parts that'll actually put a tiny bit of strain on your PSU.

Okay then, how about a recommendation. fully modular, under $100

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Thanks for the recommendation, but what do you think will go wrong with the OCZ PSU?

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

Thanks for the recommendation, but what do you think will go wrong with the OCZ PSU?

Just more over poor quality. There's no way to tell for certain, but most certainly a higher chance of something going wrong.

19 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Just more over poor quality. There's no way to tell for certain, but most certainly a higher chance of something going wrong.

It's 80 PLUS Bronze, that tells me alone that its reliable, but hey, I don't know that much about power supplys.

19 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Of course there has to be a way to tell for certain, for the statement to have any validity at least. Things are bad/good for a reason, or they aren't. "Poor quality" is fine as a summary, but at the end of the day it must translate into a concrete cause-effect or it's meaningless.

Poor quality may mean that a particular internal component is more likely to fail than others. Or that it lacks some protection in case it fails, but maybe it isn't more likely to fail than others. Or maybe it means that it struggles to deliver the rated wattage and keep voltages within specs, but it won't catch fire. Or it could be a time bomb, for a known reason. Each of those situations would call for a different action, and replacing the PSU could range from urgent to "only if found necessary".

The whole tier thing is nice as a quick reference, but what exactly brought each PSU there is much more important.

11 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

It's 80 PLUS Bronze, that tells me alone that its reliable, but hey, I don't know that much about power supplys.

Not really. I mean, it's more reliable than if it isn't 80 Plus certified, in the sense that at least you know it will deliver the rated wattage with a minimum of efficiency, as long as it works. Failure rates aren't factored in the certification, unless the PSU fails during the test :P 

1 hour ago, AceTaker said:

You obviously don't. You can get away with high efficiency while still over looking certain internal components and soldering.

This thread went from CPUs to, SSDs, to, GPUs, to PSUs. Im impressed

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler