Can someone help me pick a CPU cooler?

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

HyperX Fury ram isn't tall and fits under the SRLP just fine.

Can you link us to where you're shopping?

The 95mm clearance applies if you're using the 5.25" bay. If not, the clearance goes up to 140mm.

I got that 95mm from their website: http://www.corsair.com/en/obsidian-series-250d-mini-itx-pc-case

I'm not using the optical drive bay though. 

I'm shopping mainly on Alternate which is a well-known site over here for PC-parts (bought most of my components for the initial build there as well).

8 minutes ago, Vinchucca said:

I got that 95mm from their website: http://www.corsair.com/en/obsidian-series-250d-mini-itx-pc-case

I'm not using the optical drive bay though. 

I'm shopping mainly on Alternate which is a well-known site over here for PC-parts (bought most of my components for the initial build there as well).

PR Slim: https://www.alternate.be/be-quiet!/Pure-Rock-Slim-CPU-koeler/html/product/1296731?lk=6098

or Macho 90: https://www.alternate.be/Thermalright/Macho-90-CPU-koeler/html/product/1178345?lk=6098

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 6.12.2016 at 0:59 PM, Vinchucca said:

Would you recommend it over air-coolers?

From what I've heard they are usually noisier (being there's fans and a waterpump both making noise) and less reliable (leakage).

Their cooling potential is better, but seeing as temperature isn't an issue now and I don't plan on overclocking I don't think it'd benefit my build? Or am I wrong?

I would always use air coolers over AIO for <100€. They are more quiet and usually cheaper. Reliability isn't an issue for both options. The only thing that is good about AIOs is the way they look :D

On 2016-12-05 at 6:20 AM, Vinchucca said:

Heyhey fellow PC-enthusiasts,

I am rather new to all this and I was wondering if anybody could help me upgrade my current stock intel cooler.

Currently I am not having any issues regarding heat, nor are the noise levels unbearable. But my PC-case has a window looking unto the motherboard and that stock cooler is just an ugly sight.

So I'd like to get rid of that and if temps and noise levels go down a bit that'd be all the better!

Also as a side note I am not really looking to overclock anything in the foreseeable future.

My current build:

• CPU: Intel Core i5 - 6400 2.7Ghz
  • Mobo: MSI Z170I Gaming PRO ARC
  • RAM: 1 x 8GB DIMM DDR4-2133 Kingston Hyper X Fury
  • GPU: MSI GTX960 4G
  • PSU: Corsair CS550M
  • Case: Corsair Obisidan Series 250D

I am mainly worried about clearance inside the case and clearance regarding the RAM-stick.(for now it's a single stick but I'd like to keep access to the second slot too just in case the need arises for an upgrade).

Whichever gets me the looks and the best bang for my buck regarding cooling and noise is going to be the winner but in general I hope to spend no more than +/-80 euro.

Thank you ever so much for any help provided!

Just go to the computer store that you trust and look at their selection.

if looks is all you are really concerned with then you need to decide without any advice, only by doing this will you get one that you really like.

19 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Just go to the computer store that you trust and look at their selection.

if looks is all you are really concerned with then you need to decide without any advice, only by doing this will you get one that you really like.

I wouldn't say looks are the one and only concern. I'm not looking to invest in a CPU cooler that makes my CPU run hotter or makes more noise than the standard intel one. ;-)

It needs to be at least on par with the stock cooler and look better basically :)

1 minute ago, Vinchucca said:

Thanks, but both are too high :(

How so? They're both under 140mm in height which is the available clearance if you're not using up the 5.25" bay.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

47 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

How so? They're both under 140mm in height which is the available clearance if you're not using up the 5.25" bay.

I'm not sure how that would work since the 5,25" bay doesn't sit above the mobo?

Removing it would not provide more clearance for the CPU cooling tower.

See this image

250D_Close_up_hydro_series_install.png

10 hours ago, Vinchucca said:

I'm not sure how that would work since the 5,25" bay doesn't sit above the mobo?

Removing it would not provide more clearance for the CPU cooling tower.

There's 140mm of clearance if you don't put something in the 5.25" bay. A dvd drive for example would end up hanging over the motherboard a bit and potentially reduce the available clearance to 95mm.

If it's still not clear, here are some examples of how the heatsink would fit.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=254

153402.7f39fd850e6ce6f64be51369d9428774.

22 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

There's 140mm of clearance if you don't put something in the 5.25" bay. A dvd drive for example would end up hanging over the motherboard a bit and potentially reduce the available clearance to 95mm.

If it's still not clear, here are some examples of how the heatsink would fit.

Thanks for the clarification! I feel a bit dumb now for blindly trusting the product website and not doing some measurements for myself :P

12 hours ago, Vinchucca said:

Thanks for the clarification! I feel a bit dumb now for blindly trusting the product website and not doing some measurements for myself :P

No it's fine u gave me something to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sorry fellows for not replying to this topic for a while but I had some travelling to do so this got put on a backburner for a while.

Anyway Alternate.be did stock up on the Cryorig C7 so I decided to go for that one and just today finished the installation. Looks really nice. Now for some playtesting. Thanks everybody for helping me out!

I took some before and after shots (and also took the opportunity to tidy up on the cable management).

image-20161223_151346.jpg

IMG_20161223_115812.jpg

IMG_20161223_150012.jpg

I think COOLER MASTER 212 EVO and if you have little more bucks plz go for COOLER MASTER HYPER 212X  as it is the best cpu cooler for your hard earned bucks to performance ratio