TOR

niff

is it safe to install tor and are there any viruses on it

From what i heard its safe to install, just using it and knowing what your doing is the problem. Anyone else ? 

It is safe and there aren't any viruses on it.

Though you will have your IP address monitored unless you download it through a VPN.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

its safe but your not suppose to use it from an internet service that can be linked to your credit card, bank account, or home address. Authorities have ways of tracking people. There are live CDs with tor included.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

8 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

It is safe and there aren't any viruses on it.

Though you will have your IP address monitored unless you download it through a VPN.

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

its safe but your not suppose to use it from an internet service that can be linked to your credit card, bank account, or home address. Authorities have ways of tracking people. There are live CDs with tor included.

Is this actually a thing? I always thought it was a myth that the NSA will start monitoring you if you do anything with tor. I suppose it makes sense, I can't think of much reason to use tor unless you plan on doing some shady stuff. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

5 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Is this actually a thing? I always thought it was a myth that the NSA will start monitoring you if you do anything with tor. I suppose it makes sense, I can't think of much reason to use tor unless you plan on doing some shady stuff. 

i wouldn't use it because my internet traffic will get grouped with all the shady stuff. if you live in one of the five eyes countries then everything is being monitored

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

10 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Is this actually a thing? I sways thought it was a myth that the NSA will start monitoring you if you do anything with tor. I suppose it makes sense, I can't think of much reason to use tor unless you plan on doing some shady stuff. 

Since Tor Browser is sometimes used for shady stuff, law enforcement tries to monitor who downloads it so they can keep an eye on them. Though I don't know to which extent they are able to achieve this.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

3 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

Since Tor Browser is sometimes used for shady stuff, law enforcement tries to monitor who downloads it so they can keep an eye on them. Though I don't know to which extent they are able to achieve this.

they run their own servers and use tracking cookies. earlier this year police & interpol arrested & gave warnings to people buying drugs online. i dont think monitoring tor software downloads is necessary but i would not rule out their involvement in distributing the software or having communication with the cloud data providers hosting the software

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

20 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

What's a live CD?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

With all the stuff going on in the UK I can't tell if this is a good thing or overly paranoid about being private online.  ? 

just do what i do. spam Facebook with pictures and videos of your pets. If everyone does this it will make monitoring very expensive. When it comes to political stuff use an internet cafe or a prepay phone plan that includes data

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

TOR alone isnt enough to move unseen through the DarkNet.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

TOR dosent have any viruses in itself but its not a great browser and if you are using it for dark web stuff then its not enough to keep you safe. also the majorety of its funding is from the US and Swedish goverment so take that as you wish

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

47 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

just do what i do. spam Facebook with pictures and videos of your pets. If everyone does this it will make monitoring very expensive. When it comes to political stuff use an internet cafe or a prepay phone plan that includes data

Tempting but I personally don't have any pets and while I am living at home with my parents and their two evil dogs I wouldn't feel safe getting any.  Seriously these things snarl and freak out at me and I live here.  They get worse when I have my friend over.  They've bitten her and me and our mail woman.  My friend is so afraid of the dogs she hates having to upstairs to use the bathroom because even putting them in their cages she's afraid to walk past them.  

And I don't post political stuff except to comment on things sometimes but very rarely.  

2 hours ago, niff said:

is it safe to install tor and are there any viruses on it

It's safe to install and it does not contain any viruses, if you download it from the official website.

1 hour ago, Litargirio said:

Well, the same can be said about basically anything these days. Visited this thread? Welcome to the FBI/NSA suspect list.

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

I can't think of much reason to use tor unless you plan on doing some shady stuff. 

There are many legitimate reasons.

Research purposes. Anyone studying networking should learn what Tor is and how it works. It is a really good concept and design which gives a good idea of how to anonymize data over a network not designed to be anonymous.

It can also be used by bypass blocks. You know the great firewall of China which is used to for example block the Chinese people from accessing information which may put their government in bad light? Yeah, Tor is really popular in China. Of course, the government might think that researching other political views is "shady", but what is and isn't "shady" is very subjective and not always bad.

In Russia it is illegal to "promote" homosexuality. Are you a gay person that want to respond to someone by saying "it is OK to be a homosexual", then you better use a service like Tor because otherwise you can be sent to jail.

And so on... Whistleblowers also love Tor because it gives them a secure way to spread information. Was Snowden shady? Maybe, but I think he is a hero.

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

they run their own servers and use tracking cookies. earlier this year police & interpol arrested & gave warnings to people buying drugs online. i dont think monitoring tor software downloads is necessary but i would not rule out their involvement in distributing the software or having communication with the cloud data providers hosting the software

It's not tracking cookies that exposes people. It's 0-day exploits in Firefox, or people leaking their personal information in some way. Tor has third party cookies disabled by default, and first party cookies are tied to your Tor circuit and auto-clears when the browser is shut down.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

snip

its a combination of things including software vulnerabilities that they exploit before informing software publishers 

http://thehackernews.com/2013/10/nsa-using-browser-cookies-to-track-tor.html

https://edwardsnowden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/tor-stinks-presentation.pdf

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_