4K Blu-Ray Player?

Rocko

What is a good 4K Blu-Ray Player?

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

2 minutes ago, Rocko said:

What is a good 4K Blu-Ray Player?

There are only two on the market made by Philips or Samsung. Pick your poison. They both have issues and also work great when they work.

4 minutes ago, JohnT said:

There are only two on the market made by Philips or Samsung. Pick your poison. They both have issues and also work great when they work.

Are they both over $200?

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

1 minute ago, Rocko said:

Are they both over $200?

Yes. Well over. The Samsung is about $500, and the Philips is a little less.

1 minute ago, Bradl79 said:

u may be better off getting an Xbox One S or a PS4 pro

Xboxn One S only. The PS4 pro does not support UHD playback.

oh i didin't know the PS4 didn't support 4k (I don't get playstation stuff, just assumed it did) ok well then an Xbox one S, what TV do u have

My PCPartPicker - 1st Build

3 minutes ago, Bradl79 said:

oh i didin't know the PS4 didn't support 4k (I don't get playstation stuff, just assumed it did) ok well then an Xbox one S, what TV do u have

I'm going to get this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DUTL4OI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13ACIRM091OJE

yeah I agree, i have Samsung UN55KS8500 with xbox one s and it works great and has great 4k Playback

just like when bluray 1st came out the players were very expensive and slow... this is not near as bad, i don't have any issues with 4k playback 

My PCPartPicker - 1st Build

2 minutes ago, Bradl79 said:

what size?

40-Inch 

I have the Samsung - UBD-K8500. It hasn't failed me once yet. The UI is meh but my biggest complaint is that the remote has very buttons and doesn't have as much functionality as I would have liked. Xbox One S also has 4k bluray playback as well as other people have mentioned but I have never used mine for playing blurays

5 minutes ago, Bradl79 said:

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/40-class-ku6300-6-series-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un40ku6300fxza/

how much is it showing u on here? I have an employer discount so i am not sure if its cheaper than what amazon says

Yea it's $50 cheaper on Samsung's website

22 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

I have the Samsung - UBD-K8500. It hasn't failed me once yet. The UI is meh but my biggest complaint is that the remote has very buttons and doesn't have as much functionality as I would have liked. Xbox One S also has 4k bluray playback as well as other people have mentioned but I have never used mine for playing blurays

I can use the TV alone to watch 4K Netflix right?

10 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

I've had one for about six months and it works just fine but I totally agree with you about the remote and UI.  Debating buying a second one because B&H has them for $278 ATM.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1211810-REG/samsung_ubd_k8500_smart_blu_ray_player.html/?c3nid=98&c3ch=CSE

I personally think the xbox one s is your best bet. I bought one a few weeks ago now and it's great for 4k blu-ray playback etc, plus you get to use it as a gaming system etc too.. the only thing I am disappointed in is the fact that it doesn't support SMB shares. I personally don't want to open up my server by having DLNA running on it or having to re-arrange loads of stuff on the server to make it work how I want. Samba is windows based, so seems really stupid for MS to omit it from their consoles.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

14 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

my biggest complaint is that the remote has very buttons and doesn't have as much functionality as I would have liked.

3 hours ago, johnny5c said:

I totally agree with you about the remote and UI.

Samsung smart TVs actually support a wide range of Samsung remotes (And that's not even getting into third party universals).  If you want a classic 'Remote With A Million Buttons' something like this will work natively with the TV:

https://www.amazon.ca/Replacement-AA59-00638A-AA59-00790A-AA59-00579A-AA59-00558A/dp/B00WEVILV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480967770&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+remote+smart+tv

Though what I'd love is a remote with a hot button to toggle game mode. :P

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Though what I'd love is a remote with a hot button to toggle game mode. :P

My wife bought me a Logitech Harmony 950 for my birthday to go with our new Samsung UN65JS8500 TV and after a lot of trial and error I have a working game mode hot button.  When you hit the "Play Games" button it switches the TV's and receiver's input to the HTPC and opens the picture menu and enables game mode, took forever to program and I had to create another event to switch back out of game mode but works pretty slick now.