Pump above reservoir in a loop?

Hello everybody :)

So, I want to change my Parvum ATX L1.0 to the new Thermaltake Tower 900 case, but I have run into some problems lately. I wanted to install the pomp in the middle above those 2 HDD trays CLIC ME! because I hate the EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM with EK-UNI Pump Bracket 120mm. But in this case, pomp will be above the reservoirs (I want to use 2 of XSPC photon 270 [I have already one in my current system] for better esthetics). I was planning to make a loop like this: CLIC ME 2! but at this point I'm afraid that this won't work and I will kill the pump.

What do you think about this?

PS.

Sorry for my bad English :( 

6 minutes ago, Dudi4PoLFr said:

So, I want to change my Parvum ATX L1.0 to the new Thermaltake Tower 900 case, but I have run into some problems lately. I wanted to install the pomp in the middle above those 2 HDD trays CLIC ME! because I hate the EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM with EK-UNI Pump Bracket 120mm. But in this case, pomp will be above the reservoirs (I want to use 2 of XSPC photon 270 [I have already one in my current system] for better esthetics). I was planning to make a loop like this: CLIC ME 2! but at this point I'm afraid that this won't work and I will kill the pump.

PS.

Never put your pump above your res.

It will run dry instantly and die pretty quick.

Rule of thumb is to put your pump right after the res, so it will never run dry.

EDIT: I just derped a litte bit :c

It should be fine, it will run dry for the first couple of seconds after filling the loop, and the position is not optimal. I would suggest putting it below your res.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.

2 minutes ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

Never put your pump above your res.

It will run dry instantly and die pretty quick.

Rule of thumb is to put your pump right after the res, so it will never run dry.

So you have any ideas for me?

Don't do it. Always run the pump below the res and feed the pump directly from the res to avoid it running dry. This allowed air bubbles to escape the pump increasing the longevity of the pump, and reducing the risk of failure. 

Never orientate the pump so that the motor is on top, the motor should be on its side, or the bottom. 

You could get 2x Res/pump combos...

Generally not a great idea to have the pump above the reservoir. You more or less always want it so that the pump is able to draw in a steady supply of water.

It can work, but there is a greater chance of getting air into the pump, and wearing it out prematurely.

17 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Generally not a great idea to have the pump above the reservoir. You more or less always want it so that the pump is able to draw in a steady supply of water.

It can work, but there is a greater chance of getting air into the pump, and wearing it out prematurely.

Just asking you are from Australia? 

I know that it's theoretically a bad idea, but I wonder if the pression from those 2 reservoirs plug one to another will be enough to supply the pump with sufficient liquid to run well? After all there will be at least 1.0 -1.4L of liquid in those 2 beasts of reservoirs?!

6 hours ago, Dudi4PoLFr said:

PS.

I think it will work or actually im sure of it. Ur res is taller then the pump. Therotically filling both of the res till full will provide continues liquid to the pump. But to do that first u have open ur res top cap first and open up the pump out fitting to let the liquid reach the pump and then connect it. After that running the pump and continuously adding liquid on both side will do the trick.

And you are using a good quality d5. use a external psu to start the pump so u can easily turn it off of anything goes wrong like the pump is making too much noise or the pump is not pushing out the liquid. I know most people commend here can scare u saying failure of pump and etc but my loop configuration in my pc introduce a lot of freaking air bubbles. But after 15 to 20 runs of turning on and off the pump for the initial boost. At first u will have some noise due to very tiny bubbles u cant avoid it easily but after running the loop for 1 week or 2 and it will be dead silent.

Honestly i saw more complicated loops in high end pc make me think how did he manage to pull it off so yours shouldnt be a problem.

Has anyone done a res-pump-res setup?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Has anyone done a res-pump-res setup?

There are many have done it but usually the res is placed higher then the pump so that gravity does the work.

So I have 2 solutions, but there are not ideal:

- Put the left reservoir at the level of the pump, but it will (probably) touch the GPU (eventually switch to Photon 170 if there will be enough space)

- Forget the idea of 2nd reservoir and install the pump on the left side in lower place that the right reservoir so gravity can do the work

Guys,

And what would happen if I would fill the entire loop with liquid with no air inside? Like a giant AiO?