I need help finding articles about ransomware for a school paper please.

Bleedingyamato
6 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That's really cool.  I'd love a uniform like from Voyager perhaps.  But I currently wouldn't have anywhere to wear it.  ?

Kitchen table?

Star date: 12/...5/16 Currently... eating corn flakes with... the crew. On our way to The Fridge for some milk.

[I forget how Shatner spoke in the old Star Trek]

Note: Not a fan. #StarWars #F$ckThatToo

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

if it has not been mentioned theres a ton of stuff on google scholar about ransomware in the medical field

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

45 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Kitchen table?

Star date: 12/...5/16 Currently... eating corn flakes with... the crew. On our way to The Fridge for some milk.

[I forget how Shatner spoke in the old Star Trek]

Note: Not a fan. #StarWars #F$ckThatToo

Ummm..  I don't eat breakfast and my family are messy pigs who don't know that a  kitchen table is for eating and not storing stuff on or dog cages under...

You don't like Star Trek or Star Wars?  That's slightly depressing to think about. ?

42 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

if it has not been mentioned theres a ton of stuff on google scholar about ransomware in the medical field

That's something to look at thank you.  

@Zodiark1593 Would you happen to know where I can find info about the different ways that ransomware can infect a computer?

Also info on how to prevent a ransomware infection along with what can be done after infection to remove the infection and recover files?

@DeadEyePsycho I think I remember you mentioning something about dealing with ransomware once.  Would you have any insight into sources specifically about preventing an infection and dealing with removing it after a computer has been infected?  

16 hours ago, J. Hammond said:

Here's a good list of Ransomware and all of its details, including how to defeat them. I don't know how much help this will be but I'll leave this here just in case.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TWS238xacAto-fLKh1n5uTsdijWdCEsGIM0Y0Hvmc5g/pubhtml

I wanted to ask, did you write this yourself of is the information from somewhere else? 

Some of the methods for preventing an infection might be useful but I'm worried my professor might not accept my citing a Google spreadsheet as a source...  ?

13 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Would you happen to know I should type into google scholar to get good results for ransomware and how it relates to the healthcare/medical field?

13 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Would you happen to know I should type into google scholar to get good results for ransomware and how it relates to the healthcare/medical field?

just filter to show this years articles; will be more relevant 

https://scholar.google.co.nz/scholar?as_ylo=2016&q=medical+ransomware&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

this one is good

http://dl.umsu.ac.ir/bitstream/Hannan/101538/1/2016 AHIMA Volume 87 Issue 4 April (10).pdf

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Dealing with ransomware: I knew from articles that many large AV companies and organizations made tools to decrypt certain ransomeware. Kaspersky has an online tool that can recognize the strain by scanning the ransom note (most don't tell you what strain they are directly though filetypes are typically a good clue). Once you know the strain, you can check to see if there is a decryption tool available. I know Kaspersky and Avast have made several for many different types of ransomware. If the strain you're dealing with doesn't have a decryption, you might still be able to recover. Typically they have procedures to at least stop the malware and delete the files associated with it. If you have shadow volume copy enabled, you might get lucky and the malware didn't disable it and delete the copies. Otherwise the only way to recover is from a backup.

Preventing Infections: I guess this includes the usual pointers for malware and exploits. Make sure your OS is up to date, make sure your browsers are up to date, make sure things like Flash and Silverlight are disabled by default (should ask to be enabled) and always patched. Make sure your firewall is properly secured, make sure to use your AV frequently. Probably the most important prevention tactic is user education, for example safe browsing practices. Trainings should be held regularly in enterprise to make sure employees actually absorb the information. Also making use of layered defenses. You want network protection such as firewalls as well as AV servers that scan the whole network as well as client side protection such as AV software on each machine. Make sure permissions and policies are setup so that no one user has access to all network shares, that way if an infection does occur, you can be assured your entire network wasn't affected.

This is just off the top of my head so I may have forgotten a few things. I'm pretty sure I got the most important pieces.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

10 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Thank you.  ?  I'm planning to write a section/page on hoe ransomware is affecting the medical industry so this will hopefully help with that.  

9 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Dealing with ransomware: I knew from articles that many large AV companies and organizations made tools to decrypt certain ransomeware. Kaspersky has an online tool that can recognize the strain by scanning the ransom note (most don't tell you what strain they are directly though filetypes are typically a good clue). Once you know the strain, you can check to see if there is a decryption tool available. I know Kaspersky and Avast have made several for many different types of ransomware. If the strain you're dealing with doesn't have a decryption, you might still be able to recover. Typically they have procedures to at least stop the malware and delete the files associated with it. If you have shadow volume copy enabled, you might get lucky and the malware didn't disable it and delete the copies. Otherwise the only way to recover is from a backup.

Preventing Infections: I guess this includes the usual pointers for malware and exploits. Make sure your OS is up to date, make sure your browsers are up to date, make sure things like Flash and Silverlight are disabled by default (should ask to be enabled) and always patched. Make sure your firewall is properly secured, make sure to use your AV frequently. Probably the most important prevention tactic is user education, for example safe browsing practices. Trainings should be held regularly in enterprise to make sure employees actually absorb the information. Also making use of layered defenses. You want network protection such as firewalls as well as AV servers that scan the whole network as well as client side protection such as AV software on each machine. Make sure permissions and policies are setup so that no one user has access to all network shares, that way if an infection does occur, you can be assured your entire network wasn't affected.

This is just off the top of my head so I may have forgotten a few things. I'm pretty sure I got the most important pieces.

Thank you for the info but would you have any specific sources that would repeat all that?

The impression I have is that the professor accepts that we likely won't find many academic sources for the topics the paper can be on so standard google searches for articles and stuff is where he's assuming we'll find our information from.

Sorry...  What I mean to say is your information should be very useful but I need articles or something to cite.  

As much as I would like to cite you directly I don't think my professor would be ok with my citing something like "DeadEyePsycho, LTT forum user".  ?

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Thank you for the info but would you have any specific sources that would repeat all that?

The impression I have is that the professor accepts that we likely won't find many academic sources for the topics the paper can be on so standard google searches for articles and stuff is where he's assuming we'll find our information from.

Sorry...  What I mean to say is your information should be very useful but I need articles or something to cite.  

As much as I would like to cite you directly I don't think my professor would be ok with my citing something like "DeadEyePsycho, LTT forum user".  ?

Malwarebytes blog https://blog.malwarebytes.com/101/2016/03/how-to-beat-ransomware-prevent-dont-react/

Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/portal/mmpc/shared/ransomware.aspx

Norton https://us.norton.com/ransomware/article

Not exactly scholarly articles but I'm assuming you don't have a limit on number of sources. Supplementary sources are always nice and can be used to reinforce points being made.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

14 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Malwarebytes blog https://blog.malwarebytes.com/101/2016/03/how-to-beat-ransomware-prevent-dont-react/

Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/portal/mmpc/shared/ransomware.aspx

Not exactly scholarly articles but I'm assuming you don't have a limit on number of sources. Supplementary sources are always nice and can be used to reinforce points being made.

I don't think there's a limit so I'm not worried about that.  Thank you.  ?

Like I said I think scholarly sources aren't required of expected in this case so I doubt that would be an issue.  

Too bad I can't just cite people like you directly who know a lot about this stuff.  

In that single post you told me more useful info than any number of failed database and google searches over the years I've been in college.  

Which is made very embarrassing for my since I'm most likely going to end up working in a library or archive after graduating.  Both of which having effective search engine skills would be very helpful if not required...  ?

16 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I forgot to ask:

What is shadow volume copy and do the sources you linked mention what it is?

Same question for disabling flash and silverlight.  Though I'm also curious on a personal level.

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I don't think there's a limit so I'm not worried about that.  Thank you.  ?

Like I said I think scholarly sources aren't required of expected in this case so I doubt that would be an issue.  

Too bad I can't just cite people like you directly who know a lot about this stuff.  

In that single post you told me more useful info than any number of failed database and google searches over the years I've been in college.  

Which is made very embarrassing for my since I'm most likely going to end up working in a library or archive after graduating.  Both of which having effective search engine skills would be very helpful if not required...  ?

I typically only use keywords instead of actual phrases when searching, if that is any help.

Shadow Copy (also known as Volume Snapshot Service,[1] Volume Shadow Copy Service[2] or VSS[2]) is a technology included in Microsoft Windows that allows taking manual or automatic backup copies or snapshots of computer files or volumes, even when they are in use. It is implemented as a Windows service called the Volume Shadow Copy service. A software VSS provider service is also included as part of Windows to be used by Windows applications. Shadow Copy technology requires the file system to be NTFS in order to create and store shadow copies. Shadow Copies can be created on local and external (removable or network) volumes by any Windows component that uses this technology, such as when creating a scheduled Windows Backup or automatic System Restore point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

Disable flash: http://www.howtogeek.com/222275/how-to-uninstall-and-disable-flash-in-every-web-browser/

For silverlight but includes other plugins as well: http://www.howtogeek.com/209156/uninstall-or-disable-your-browser-plug-ins-to-make-your-browser-more-secure/

10 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Thank you!  Again.  lol

I think I have enough to proceed now.  I'm fighting off a cold atm so I really just want to be done and take a nap..  ?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

take a nap

same

last two weeks are brutal

40 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

same

last two weeks are brutal

I'm sorry to hear that.  Sick or work/school tiring you out?

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I wanted to ask, did you write this yourself of is the information from somewhere else? 

Some of the methods for preventing an infection might be useful but I'm worried my professor might not accept my citing a Google spreadsheet as a source...  ?

No I didn't write it. I just posted this here to give people some names. To be honest it might not be much worth to someone writing a paper, but it's nice to have to know what to avoid.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

19 minutes ago, J. Hammond said:

No I didn't write it. I just posted this here to give people some names. To be honest it might not be much worth to someone writing a paper, but it's nice to have to know what to avoid.

It mentions some things to do to avoid infections that seem like I could mention those but my concern is that a Google doc might not be suitable to cite as a source even a non-academic one.  

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  Sick or work/school tiring you out?

I meant it's the last two weeks of the semester. This is the last week of actual classes and it's pretty much only review. I already memorized the material from this semester and have all A's for these classes so review is incredibly boring. If I didn't have my laptop, I honestly would have fallen asleep in my classes I had today.

None of it is actually difficult, just time consuming.

15 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I meant it's the last two weeks of the semester. This is the last week of actual classes and it's pretty much only review. I already memorized the material from this semester and have all A's for these classes so review is incredibly boring. If I didn't have my laptop, I honestly would have fallen asleep in my classes I had today.

None of it is actually difficult, just time consuming.

I see.  My classes this semester haven't been hard either.  I'm actually surprised how light the work has been each week.  This paper and some presentation thing I have to do next week are the only two assignments that actually require any real effort.  Not that I'm complaining.  I had a class last fall with almost too much to do including a paper far longer than this one with a much harder professor grading it...

I nearly had a panic attack any time during the semester that I happened to think about that long paper and I'm still not sure how I didn't go full anxiety mode while trying to write it.  

I actually did fall asleep in some of my undergrad history courses. I just can't sit still for an hour and 15 minute class without either going bored out of my mind of getting so sleepy I either fall asleep or come very close.  Though if you really want something to put you out take an economics class.  Best sleep I ever got during the day.  lol    Seriously the material was dull as can be and the professor was an awful teacher.  I simply couldn't keep my eyes open.  Still passed the class though and was happy to be rid of it. (C+ or B- I think.)

Though this was on campus.  Since then I'd started taking all online classes and I do much better in those.  Typically A or a few A- I think.  Might've been a B+ or two possibly.   

Do your classes not have exams or how are you sure you got A's in everything?

10 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do your classes not have exams or how are you sure you got A's in everything?

We have exams and I've gotten back everything that was graded already. Since I know the grading schemes from the syllabus and the fact that the finals are cumulative, I'm very confident I will have A's though I might get an A- in Psychology. I don't really care about that class though since it is for gen ed requirements.

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

We have exams and I've gotten back everything that was graded already. Since I know the grading schemes from the syllabus and the fact that the finals are cumulative, I'm very confident I will have A's though I might get an A- in Psychology. I don't really care about that class though since it is for gen ed requirements.

Cool.  Yeah the courses for your degree are most important to focus on.  Though I did take an intro psych class for part of my general ed stuff and it was super easy and interesting too.  Best part: it was online and the only graded work (actually the only work) was a serious of around 20-24 multiple choice quizzes that you have to get at least an 8 out of 10 I think or better to get all the points for it and unlock the next quiz.  There was no wait period beyeeen attempts and you just could retake a quiz until you passed.  So your final course grade was based on how many quizzes you completed.  If you did all of them you got a guaranteed A.  

It almost felt like a scam or cheating.  ?

(Except that the book was like $100 and bundled with a code for access to the quizzes which meant I couldn't sell the book after the semester was done.)