How is this graphics card?

Creed1

Christmas is almost here and I think its time to move on from my GTX 970. I am looking at getting a GTX 1070. The card I have picked out is the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB. I was wondering if it is a good card and if I should get it.

CURRENT SPECS:

i5 6600k (I will overclock this processor soon)

GTX 970 w/ Nvidia's stock cooler

16GB DDR4 Memory

Asus z170-a motherboard

Thanks,

Creed 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

2 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Christmas is almost here and I think its time to move on from my GTX 970. I am looking at getting a GTX 1070. The card I have picked out is the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB. I was wondering if it is a good card and if I should get it.

CURRENT SPECS:

i5 6600k (I will overclock this processor soon)

GTX 970 w/ Nvidia's stock cooler

16GB DDR4 Memory

Asus z170-a motherboard

Thanks,

Creed 

honestly if its from msi its going to be a good card, what cpu cooler are you using on the 6600k?

4 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

honestly if its from msi its going to be a good card, what cpu cooler are you using on the 6600k?

I have a h100i water cooler. I am only currently overclocked at 4.2GHz which isn't that much of a difference so I am looking at overclocking it to 4.6GHz

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

I wouldn't upgrade from a 970 to a 1070, the performance difference doesn't justify buying a new card (given the price). Unless you are really unsatisfied with your current performance I'd wait at least until next generation.

Either way that card is pretty good.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's a good card and the performance increase will be there since the 970 is comparable to the 1060. But it may not be as much as you think but it prob is.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

I wouldn't upgrade from a 970 to a 1070, the performance difference doesn't justify buying a new card (given the price). Unless you are really unsatisfied with your current performance I'd wait at least until next generation.

Either way that card is pretty good.

970 to a 1070 is a decent jump actually. Similar to a 970-980ti but about 8% better with the 1070.

14 hours ago, Reflecting said:

970 to a 1070 is a decent jump actually. Similar to a 970-980ti but about 8% better with the 1070.

Yes, but generally I wait for a card that is close to twice as fast before considering an upgrade.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

Yes, but generally I wait for a card that is close to twice as fast before considering an upgrade.

Well, that's your upgrade path. Many others see the difference from last gen to current and can understand the vast difference that took place which is not exactly common from one generation to the next. The difference from the 970 to a 1070 is greater than normal jumps from 1 year to the next.

10 minutes ago, Reflecting said:

Well, that's your upgrade path. Many others see the difference from last gen to current and can understand the vast difference that took place which is not exactly common from one generation to the next. The difference from the 970 to a 1070 is greater than normal jumps from 1 year to the next.

Not really, fermi->kepler and kepler->maxwell were just as big. Furthermore rumour has it nvidia released the current generation as a filler to buy time for their larger jump next year.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Not really, fermi->kepler and kepler->maxwell were just as big. Furthermore rumour has it nvidia released the current generation as a filler to buy time for their larger jump next year.

I would say that this "jump" was greater, but that's for another topic all together. The "rumor" has been going around for 2 generational upgrades now. They keep pushing it back and I'm sure there is a list of reasons why. Maybe they are just waiting for AMD to make that push to be competitive again? We won't know for sure until someone leaks more "nda" based info which is likely not going to happen for some time yet. 

Just now, Reflecting said:

I would say that this "jump" was greater, but that's for another topic all together. The "rumor" has been going around for 2 generational upgrades now. They keep pushing it back and I'm sure there is a list of reasons why. Maybe they are just waiting for AMD to make that push to be competitive again? We won't know for sure until someone leaks more "nda" based info which is likely not going to happen for some time yet. 

More likely it's because they want HBM2 but the production runs have been a lot smaller than expected.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

More likely it's because they want HBM2 but the production runs have been a lot smaller than expected.

Would be closer to my guess, but just a guess.