Alienware 13 R3 W/ GTX 1060

3 hours ago, ScaryFatKidGT said:

I know this, but he has a Stealth not a 14, my argument is a 14" Razerblade 14 makes more sense than a 13" Alienware that is bigger in every dimension and heavier, although the OLED screen is cool. If size doesn't matter why not get a 15" 1070 equipped machine?

There's a pretty significant difference in size between the AW 13 and a 15 inch laptop, so saying that someone picking the AW 13 doesn't care about size is inane. The price difference between an AW 13 and a Razer Blade is also huge. So, no, the Blade doesn't make more sense unless you really need an underperforming 1060 in a Macbook Pro-style chassis, and don't care about money.

3 hours ago, ScaryFatKidGT said:

I know this, but he has a Stealth not a 14, my argument is a 14" Razerblade 14 makes more sense than a 13" Alienware that is bigger in every dimension and heavier, although the OLED screen is cool. If size doesn't matter why not get a 15" 1070 equipped machine?

The Alienware 13 would probably get better temps than a Razer Blade 14 due to it's thicker chassis.  Plus, the Alienware 13 is far cheaper than a Blade 14 and it is more customizable.  You can't customize a Blade 14 on the website like you can an Alienware 13.

For some people, an Alienware 13 makes more sense economically.  I'd personally take a Blade 14 over the Alienware 13 though.

55 minutes ago, lilbman said:

SNIP

It will get better temps than a blade 14. That is just a fact. It also have less problems...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

It will get better temps than a blade 14. That is just a fact. It also have less problems...

It would get better temps if the heatsinks were fixed on the Alienware 13.  I think Linus compared it to the Blade 14 in his video on the Alienware 13.

I'd still take a Blade 14.

To whoever asked in the past,

Here's p95 and Furmark running. While AIDA shows huge thermal throttling, without the throttling it runs at 3.07-3.1 GHz, so not bad in that sense.

This test was performed in a hot environment with undervolt.

Hope this helps.

:)

Screenshot (8).png

8 minutes ago, igouvea said:

Here's p95 and Furmark running. While AIDA shows huge thermal throttling, without the throttling it runs at 3.07-3.1 GHz, so not bad in that sense.

Jeez. Furmark is beyond worse case scenario. I'd say Unigine Heaven is a much better GPU stress. I think you're "overstressing" your machine here LOL. I always recommend OCCT + Unigine Heaven. It's not a bad system. Though in all honesty, gaming will never push it this hard. Some of the enterprise apps I run will push it as hard as OCCT + Unigine, but P95+Furmark is in the realm of unreasonable. Thanks for the update. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

• 1 month later...

@igouvea

Still enjoying the AW13?

With the kaby variant out, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one. 

I rarely leave with my MSI due to its size.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2017 at 0:13 PM, Dark said:

@igouvea

Still enjoying the AW13?

With the kaby variant out, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one. 

I rarely leave with my MSI due to its size.

Hi Dark,

The machine is still awesome. But when you get yours, make sure you test everything in the computer. I found out that my battery, while was supposed to have 76mAh out of the box, it came with 71. So it came deteriorated out of the box.

Right now, I would buy the XPS 15 if I were you, and didnt need the power of the 1060. Awesome machine!!

11 hours ago, igouvea said:

Hi Dark,

The machine is still awesome. But when you get yours, make sure you test everything in the computer. I found out that my battery, while was supposed to have 76mAh out of the box, it came with 71. So it came deteriorated out of the box.

Right now, I would buy the XPS 15 if I were you, and didnt need the power of the 1060. Awesome machine!!

1) Alienware isn't a awesome laptop, its a broken laptop

2)  IT can be awesome ask Pendragon I was PMing him about if there is anyone in Toronto that can do the fixes.... IF not i will have to do it AAAAAAAAAAAAH .... it could be fun.... I went as far to be like YOU WILL DO IT FOR ME OR ELSE.... i will make you watch Pew de pies videos lol.

3) When you pay for a Alienware, try to go for the lowest spec possible. Only thing you should look at is CPU and GPU and maybe display if you are lazy. Everything else is overpriced. PCIe SSD Samsung is better and its most likely only $25 difference for the equivalent spec. RAM Corsair only a few $$ more and in some cases less for similar or better spec. Thermal paste.............. DO I REALLY have to explain this one lol. Wifi Card Intel Wireless-AC 8265 NGFF Dual Band 802.11ac 867Mbps WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Card

Even the External GPU isn't done properly. you have to mod that if you want to put in lets say a water cooled Titan X Pascal from EKWB, (I am really hoping for EVGA but not it looks like it wont happen) External GPU by Alienware is too.... short in high and cant take some cards. so you might have to mod it by cutting out some portions of it.

So why GET a Alienware 

1) its better than RAZER. like way better

2) its totally sick if you fix it up. 

3) external GPU

4) the community, it is huge. you probably can find someone doing something you might need.

The good ones to check out

Alienware 15 with 7700HQ + GTX 1070 $1,700 USD

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-15-laptop/dkcwkblf044s

Alienware 13 with 7700HQ with GTX 1060 $1,400 USD

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-13-laptop/dkcwkble3s

purely spec i would say these are the good entries. the price difference is like buying a 1070 desktop vs a 1060. I would suggest going for the 1070 (but that is me)

Don't worry about it if you aren't going to fix it up. lol we had to point out that the Alienware wasn't perfect with the guy that is in love. lol we shattered his perfect world :) its like the Emperors new clothes.... The cloth is the alienware and the Emperor is the guy lol.

• 3 months later...

Just got the Alienware 13 r3, the question is as I was a little short on funds I got the smallest hard drive and it is killing me! looking to upgrade but I'm not a tech-expert of any sorts and Dell won't comment. Is it possible as it has two slots to stick x2 Samsung 960 PRO M.2-2280 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drives or best stick with x2 1TB ones?

10 hours ago, Tiddles1988 said:

Is it possible as it has two slots to stick x2 Samsung 960 PRO M.2-2280 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drives or best stick with x2 1TB ones?

firstly, none of this makes any sense.

you were "short" on funds and somehow found money to get the most expensive drives on the market? 

Also don't, NVME drives have almost 0 practical benefits. If you're just using it normally, something like the 850 EVO will do just fine and you will barely notice the difference despite the huge difference in "benchmarks" regarding the drives.

Of course if you move HUGE amounts of data around, then sure NVME drives have a purpose, otherwise save your money. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p