EVGA 1070 SC Overclocking

So today I decided to have some fun and try to overclock my 1070.  I started out with my base Heaven benchmark (Extreme preset) at a score of 2958 and an average fps of 117.  After going up and down clock speeds a little bit I settled on +140 MHz core clock and +600 MHz memory clock.  This made my Heaven score a 3170 with an average fps of 126.  Going above +140 MHz caused some artifacting (I think?) where it looked like triangles and rectangles were being stretched across the environment and were flashing and general freaking out.   I feel I could get more out of my memory but I am overclocking with NZXT's CAM software and +600 MHz is the max it will let me do so I guess that's alright.  So how did my card do?  And will cooling increase my performance and maybe eliminate the artifacting? Because I didn't touch the voltage and my card topped out around 70C.  Next, I might try overclocking my CPU but that's a little more scary to me.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

On 12/2/2016 at 2:13 PM, Gamessys said:

So today I decided to have some fun and try to overclock my 1070.  I started out with my base Heaven benchmark (Extreme preset) at a score of 2958 and an average fps of 117.  After going up and down clock speeds a little bit I settled on +140 MHz core clock and +600 MHz memory clock.  This made my Heaven score a 3170 with an average fps of 126.  Going above +140 MHz caused some artifacting (I think?) where it looked like triangles and rectangles were being stretched across the environment and were flashing and general freaking out.   I feel I could get more out of my memory but I am overclocking with NZXT's CAM software and +600 MHz is the max it will let me do so I guess that's alright.  So how did my card do?  And will cooling increase my performance and maybe eliminate the artifacting? Because I didn't touch the voltage and my card topped out around 70C.  Next, I might try overclocking my CPU but that's a little more scary to me.

Well, based on what you've said.

There does to seem to be a bit of artifacting going on whenever you get around the 600mhz range. Based on my experience, if you see artifacting, but it doesn't crash, then I would still consider it unstable. You want to slowly turn in down, probably by 25mhz each notch until you don't get any artifacting at all. Maybe test a few games out to see if its stable. IF everything runs fine, you don't see artifacting in the games (which BTW artifacting can happen in games even if you don't see it in Unigen Heaven, so be mindful). Then you've found the sweet spot. 

As for cooling... increasing the fan speed, and keeping it at a low temp will not remove any artifacting at all, since it's related to the chips maximum performance. If your card tops out at 70C with overclocking and without touching the fan speed, then way to go! You don't need to turn up the fan speed because that's a very nice temperature to be around. As long as you don't go into 85 - 90 territory, your perfectly fine. 

Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ ThinkPad T430

From our testing (We have 4 of those exact cards in the office) around a +125 and +400 is about where they land for being 100% stable. We found some to do a little better but most do not.

I should note, that we did not use CAM for our testing verification process. We did test with it, but it didn't always perform as we expected it to each and every time. So we left it out of the tests as "not stable for testing".