2x2GB RAM showing as 2x2GB but 2GB usable

Bananasplit_00

ok so i rebuilt the LAN PC again, now with a MATX motherboard and mostly the same parts, i didnt bother reinstalling windows because of time but the RAM im using is 2x2GB of ballistix 1600MHz CL8 and it showing up as 2x2GB 1036(or close to that)MHz but its only leting me use 2GB, i cant get into any sort of proper BIOS and all i have is a strange setup menue with barely any options.... im not really sure what to do seeing as the slower RAM i used to use but thats now in a PC im selling off seemed to work just fine, i could swap that over but then i would have worse RAM and i kind of want better RAM lol, so if anyone has any idea on how to solve this that would be awesome :D 

TL;DR:

swapped motherboard, RAM is now only showing 1GB per stick and i cant find a proper BIOS to change things, what do i do?

Specs:

I7 2600

HP propietary motherboard

EVGA GTX 660

2x2GB Ballistix 1600MHz CL8 DDR3

WD Raptor X 150GB

Coolermaster G750M

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

32 bit windows?

IIRC, the 4GB ram limit of 32 bit windows also takes the VRAM into account.

When in doubt, re-format.

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

32 bit windows?

IIRC, the 4GB ram limit of 32 bit windows also takes the VRAM into account.

64 bit windows 10

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Fascinating...I assume you have downloaded mobo/chipset drivers from hp's website for that new mobo?

Also, HP's use different keys for getting into bios that the standard f2/f12 iirc.

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Fascinating...I assume you have downloaded mobo/chipset drivers from hp's website for that new mobo?

Also, HP's use different keys for getting into bios that the standard f2/f12 iirc.

im not sure about chipset drivers tbh but il take a look, its also F10 for "setup" which happens to only have a verry limited amount of almost nothing and nothing regarding RAM, PCI/PCIe and CPU settings(well some CPU but not voltage, BCLCK and all that)

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im not sure about chipset drivers tbh but il take a look, its also F10 for "setup" which happens to only have a verry limited amount of almost nothing and nothing regarding RAM, PCI/PCIe and CPU settings(well some CPU but not voltage, BCLCK and all that)

Find the serial number of the computer (in BIOS) and search for drivers on hp's site by the serial.

Given that its a sandy bridge cpu, your system is gonna be on an old BIOS and not a uefi. Also, of course there is no cpu overclocking stuff since it is an OEM mobo.

4 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Find the serial number of the computer (in BIOS) and search for drivers on hp's site by the serial.

Given that its a sandy bridge cpu, your system is gonna be on an old BIOS and not a uefi. Also, of course there is no cpu overclocking stuff since it is an OEM mobo.

there is almost always voltage controll to a certain degree and there is like nothing, found what i think is the problem tho, the motherboard cant take the memory clock, its incompatible and i am honestly surprised it even boots lol, will swap over the slower RAM and that should work fine again :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

yep solved everything, the RAM was just too fast for the motherboard and the slower RAM works perfectly :D thanks for the help tho!

Builds:

Spoiler